Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV now offering "Exede 12" Satellite Internet

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Time Warner(Roadrunner)has a monopoly & is the only cable based form of internet availble out in my area(deadend road in the middle of nowhere). I hate it that they can just apply an extra monthly fee because they can & get away with it. Instead of doing this, they should just have customers buy their own modems when they quit, instead of this. My current one is approx. 6 years old with no issues & they expect me to pay or hand it over so they can THROW IT OUT!!! I don't think so. Greed will kill this company in the long run. Oh, by the way, I'm a 30 year continious customer with them & I do expect to be treated better than this...........

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

I think it's great that this is at least available to rural customers, even though Satellite isn't the greatest. But I've also heard about WISPS. I know there are several in rural areas and I hear it is much better than satellite........If you look at a WISP map, it seems like the highest concentration of them is in Illinois. There are some in rural areas of KY as well.

#23 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

I think it's great that this is at least available to rural customers, even though Satellite isn't the greatest. But I've also heard about WISPS. I know there are several in rural areas and I hear it is much better than satellite........If you look at a WISP map, it seems like the highest concentration of them is in Illinois. There are some in rural areas of KY as well.

WISP systems provide an economically viable alternative for broadband service in sparsely populated areas where it just doesn't make economic sense to lay down cable with a potential of signing up only a few customers per mile of cable. But, while there are WISP systems available in many rural areas, the reason why many in those areas cannot access the services is that the technology being used by most, perhaps all, WISP systems requires unobstructed line-of-sight to the towers. In my remote area, for example, there were 3 different companies that were offering WISP service, and there were at least a half dozen towers from those companies within a few miles of my home, but, because of uneven terrain and heavy timber, I could not get line-of-sight to and an adequate signal from any of those towers. Finally, a couple of years ago, I got lucky, and one of the companies put up a new tower that fell within the only 10-15 degree opening that I had in any direction, and I was able to get WISP service.

Until then, I had satellite service. While I recognized that it had definite limitations and had to accept those limitations, the satellite service still allowed me to do most things that I wanted to do and that would have been impossible to do with a dial-up connection. Even though the new Exede and Hughes Gen4 services still would not be good choices if a terrestrially-based option was available, I know that, if I didn't have the WISP option, I would be happy to have the opportunity to get service via Exede or Gen4.

#24 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

WISP suck! We tried out Clear about a year ago as alternative to DSL as the sales rep assured us that we could easily get 15-20 Mbps out of them...

Sadly, it tanked to Verizon DSL... Clear also has data caps that limit the speed to "thursty" users at peak times. the DSL we where pulling about 4.5Mbps and Clear we where pulling 1.21Mbps and we where located 500 ft from the tower:eek2:

I think the problem with WISP is (atleast in Clears case) the WiMax system they are using. It's slow, old technology... I hear rumors there looking at upgrading to a 4G system, if thats true then it could be a decent choice if setup right..

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

spam firewall