Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do I get the Hopper OTA tuner?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   richardsp

richardsp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

I have a VIP722, and I was waiting for the OTA tuner to ship before I upgraded to a Hopper. Now that it has, how do I get it?

I called Dish this morning and set up my order for a Hopper and a Slingbox - that part was easy.

Then I say, I need the OTA Tuner module also... and spent 45 minutes on hold while the CSR went to check if it was available, then checked with her boss, and then checked again... and finally said there wasn't one.

I gave up on my order and came here.

So, the question is, what do I tell them I want to order, so I make sure I get my OTA Tuner with my Hopper?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

There is an OTA tuner but you have to first have the Hopper installed and activated on your account to be able to order it. Best thing to do is contact one of the DIRT folks here Ray C http://www.dbstalk.c...ber.php?u=95802 by PM or RaymondG http://www.dbstalk.c...ber.php?u=98831 by PM. They can handle this for you.

#3 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

Can also order from here :-

https://my.dish.com/...der=accessories

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#4 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Can also order from here :-

https://my.dish.com/...der=accessories

I don't think they show up there unless you have a Hopper active on your account. I ended up getting help from the DIRT Team, specifically Ray C via PM to get my two Hoppers with OTA modules ordered.

#5 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

I don't think they show up there unless you have a Hopper active on your account. I ended up getting help from the DIRT Team, specifically Ray C via PM to get my two Hoppers with OTA modules ordered.

Yeah that's true.

#6 OFFLINE   fastford19

fastford19

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

So what is this for? I already get my local channels? Am i missing something?

#7 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

Free over the air signals, you can make use of another for other local channels (either ones not on PTAT or major nets during non-PTAT hours) on an additional tuner, or get some local channels Dish does not offer. There would also be no additional monthly charge for these, just the $30 for the equipment. It may also be possible to get channels from another market.

#8 OFFLINE   Max Mike

Max Mike

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

If your market is like mine through Dish you get 25% of the actual local channels available OTA.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

or 15% in other place(s)

#10 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

Do you still need to order the Hopper OTA module? Please let me know or you can order one at mydish.com from the Order From Store. Please let me know. Thanks.

I have a VIP722, and I was waiting for the OTA tuner to ship before I upgraded to a Hopper. Now that it has, how do I get it?

I called Dish this morning and set up my order for a Hopper and a Slingbox - that part was easy.

Then I say, I need the OTA Tuner module also... and spent 45 minutes on hold while the CSR went to check if it was available, then checked with her boss, and then checked again... and finally said there wasn't one.

I gave up on my order and came here.

So, the question is, what do I tell them I want to order, so I make sure I get my OTA Tuner with my Hopper?

Thanks!

#11 OFFLINE   bookwalk

bookwalk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

I ordered one, received it, and it is not recognized on my Hopper, so is basically useless--any suggestions? Can I get a refund?
Pat

:hi:

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

if you will send it back after getting RMA, try ... call CSR for that

#13 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

I ordered one, received it, and it is not recognized on my Hopper, so is basically useless--any suggestions? Can I get a refund?

Do you have software on the Hopper that supports it? It will only work with S229 or later. You may need to wait for the new software to be downloaded (timeframe for this to be pushed to all Hoppers is unknown) before it will be recognized by the Hopper.

#14 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

if you will send it back after getting RMA, try ... call CSR for that

Incorrect. If he still has the S222 software then Hopper will not recognize the tuner until the new software is rolled to his receiver.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

If a device is not functioning as advertized or it's functionality cannot be used, then it must returned to the seller, who is usually require RMA.

#16 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Well true, you did answer his question literally. However there are approaches that make more sense such as waiting for the inevitable OTA software update. Not sure why Dish didn't time the release of the hardware and software better, but I am also not surprised. I've had the proper software for over a week now, with no major issues whatsoever. OTA works great.

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

You gave other opinion, now it's his choice. Both should be palpable.

#18 OFFLINE   jlluck

jlluck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Glad there's finally an OTA solution for the Hopper but not happy about having to pay $30 for it when my old 722 had it built in.
We don't get PBS in HD so the only way to watch/record it is OTA so I think Dish should be giving these little things away to Hopper owners. Or sell for about $10. Not $30.
There, I feel better now that I ranted.
:)

#19 OFFLINE   banderson28

banderson28

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

The Dish Store shows the OTA module out of stock. Anyone have any idea how long until it is back in stock?

#20 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 557 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

The Dish Store shows the OTA module out of stock. Anyone have any idea how long until it is back in stock?

We don't have any sort of ETA, but we will be sure to provide you with any updates we may receive

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

spam firewall