Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR21-100 Random Freezing

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   laramr

laramr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

My (generally slow response) HR21-100 has started to randomly lock up on occasion. Doesn't happen too frequently, but enough to be annoying. Have not noticed this at all on my (fast, responsive) H20. Any thoughts on where to start? I recently had a dish alignment reset and the guys swaped out the LNBs, but I can't recall if started before or after their visit. In any case, since it doesn't happen to the H20 I was assuming it's not related to that. Thoughts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

I would do a hard reset with the red button near the access card. That generally fixes minor issues. If it persists, call D*.

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

Your hard drive might have a problem.
I found this that you can try .

Run the Built in Self-test to try and repair your hard drive.
To run the hard drive tests, do the following.

Reboot DVR with the red button next to the smart card.
When you see "Running receiver self-check" press Select

You should see a message "Entering Diagnostics Mode"
Choose Advanced Tests Menu ,
Hard Drive utilities ,
Short Smart test

Next run the file test, the DVR will try to repair a bad file if present.

If you receive error messages from the above stop and post them back on
here.

If the all tests pass, you can run the surface test. This test is long and
could take several hours .
You may want to run it overnight.
Every attempt is made to save programming / recordings .

If you receive error messages post them back on here.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

I had a HR21-100 that did this too. It happened more and more frequently and started finding hard drive errors upon reboot. It would say it fixed the errors, but the cycle would take hours to complete. It eventually stopped working and we had to have it replaced.

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,699 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Hard Drive utilities ,
Short Smart test

here.

Easy way to find out if the internal HDD is shot is to put an external HDD on the HR. If the external works, you'll know for sure if the internal is gone.

Everybody keeps an external device and a good HDD handy for these situations, right?

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Easy way to find out if the internal HDD is shot is to put an external HDD on the HR. If the external works, you'll know for sure if the internal is gone.

Everybody keeps an external device and a good HDD handy for these situations, right?

Rich

Noooooooo we don't.
The only time I would have one is that if the recordings were tied to my account instead of the specific DVR. For this reason I never keep more than 10-20 recordings at any one time. If I lose them it will not be a big loss.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   laramr

laramr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for the help. Ran the short smart test and the file verification test. Both passed. Running the surface test overnight. The freezing occurs on live as well as recorded material. Usually lasts a minute or two but can be much longer. Will report back on the surface test. It's about 15% done with no errors found.

#8 OFFLINE   laramr

laramr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

So I have now run every test. The surface test I let run over night. This morning it was back in normal viewing mode. I ran the surface test again, and in just a few seconds it showed 100% complete and Error 70. I ran the SMART long test and it showed error 71. I ran the surface test again, and it again finished in a few seconds and but this time also showed error 71. On the surface tests it shows 0 errors found and zero errors corrected below the test status bar and Error 71 line. Everything else I ran passed. Guess I need to call DirecTV?

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,699 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

Noooooooo we don't.
The only time I would have one is that if the recordings were tied to my account instead of the specific DVR. For this reason I never keep more than 10-20 recordings at any one time. If I lose them it will not be a big loss.

Still makes a great troubleshooting tool. I always have a spare external device and a good HDD handy for these situations. You don't have to use one on your system, just to troubleshoot. Beats sitting around for hours testing HDDs.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

So I have now run every test. The surface test I let run over night. This morning it was back in normal viewing mode. I ran the surface test again, and in just a few seconds it showed 100% complete and Error 70. I ran the SMART long test and it showed error 71. I ran the surface test again, and it again finished in a few seconds and but this time also showed error 71. On the surface tests it shows 0 errors found and zero errors corrected below the test status bar and Error 71 line. Everything else I ran passed. Guess I need to call DirecTV?

Yep, call them and tell them the error numbers from running the tests.
You might have to talk to more than one person to get one that knows of these tests and error numbers.

I believe those numbers say the HDD is failing.

#11 OFFLINE   Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 597 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

I just had my HR21-700 replaced with very similar symptoms. You are ahead of the game (if you can call it that!) with the error codes you get from the diagnostics. I didn't get any error messages when I ran them on my receiver.

In my case, the receiver would have the random hangs and stuttering before locking up hard (either watching a recording or live TV) within about 20 minutes of a reboot. After a call in to D* and the tech support team, they ran some remote diagnostics and sent me a new receiver via FedEx. Protection plan came in handy here!

Hope you get this resolved quickly.
Rob

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,003 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

right, your HDDVR is toast. any errors on a hard drive are no good and hard drives does not get better per time. *Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR. *It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation. *Otherwise ~$20 for shipping. *Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you.*

#13 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hard Drive utilities ,
Short Smart test

here.

I did exactly this last night. Got an error 77 on the 3252 - Smart Long Test
So I called DTV from my office this morning gave them the info. Tech didn't even want to hear about it. He said we don't use that utility. We have to have you run some other utility where you hold down the info for button for 5-7 seconds???
Needless to say I was very upset here I thought I was getting ahead by doing this prior to calling in instead it was a waste of time. I really hate technical support for most companies. :mad:

#14 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

So I called DTV from my office this morning gave them the info. Tech didn't even want to hear about it. He said we don't use that utility. We have to have you run some other utility where you hold down the info for button for 5-7 seconds???
Needless to say I was very upset here I thought I was getting ahead by doing this prior to calling in instead it was a waste of time. I really hate technical support for most companies. :mad:

What was the test he had you run and what did it show ?
Thanks

#15 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

What was the test he had you run and what did it show ?
Thanks

I could not run it because I was calling from my office and the DVR is at home. He said I would need to "hold the info button down for 5-7 seconds" to run the test??

#16 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

I could not run it because I was calling from my office and the DVR is at home. He said I would need to "hold the info button down for 5-7 seconds" to run the test??

Doing that brings up the System Info.
There is a System Test located in the lower right hand side of the screen. I do not know if it would find those problems or not but I just ran it on mine and it only took a few minutes.
It said my phone was not connected, which is correct.

#17 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Sorry to hear that. As for the test he is asking you to run it's the System dianogstics the BIST (built in self test) is not a untility that Tech agents are trained on so the results from that are not able to used to replace the unit on the call to tech support.
The system test code (press and hold info 5-7 seconds than select on run test) will be vaild to replace the unit provided that it give a replace receiver failure code.

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#18 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Sorry to hear that. As for the test he is asking you to run it's the System dianogstics the BIST (built in self test) is not a untility that Tech agents are trained on so the results from that are not able to used to replace the unit on the call to tech support.
The system test code (press and hold info 5-7 seconds than select on run test) will be vaild to replace the unit provided that it give a replace receiver failure code.

That is pretty much exactly what the technician said. I guess the kicker to me is I have been a computer technician for 17 years, if a disk testing utility tells you the hard drive is bad you don't question it. You backup your data and replace the drive that is if you value your data at all. Why have a disk utility on the DVR if nobody uses it?
I am afraid the BIST is not going to do a thorough test on the drive and then Tech Support won't replace the DVR because the particular magic error code isn't coming up inside of the BIST however an error does come up in a true hard drive test.
I guess we shall wait and see what the BIST says tonight when I get home. If no error then the the fight with tech support begins. Oh I really hate those. Why can't this just be easy? :(

#19 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

That is pretty much exactly what the technician said. I guess the kicker to me is I have been a computer technician for 17 years, if a disk testing utility tells you the hard drive is bad you don't question it. You backup your data and replace the drive that is if you value your data at all. Why have a disk utility on the DVR if nobody uses it?
I am afraid the BIST is not going to do a thorough test on the drive and then Tech Support won't replace the DVR because the particular magic error code isn't coming up inside of the BIST however an error does come up in a true hard drive test.
I guess we shall wait and see what the BIST says tonight when I get home. If no error then the the fight with tech support begins. Oh I really hate those. Why can't this just be easy? :(

The next tech you get might be familiar with the test and just send you a new unit. I have read several posts where the person called 2 or 3 times until they got a tech that knew of the test results and what they meant.

Good luck with it.
Keep us posted pleae.
Thanks

#20 OFFLINE   laramr

laramr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

So I get Cecily in tech support on the line and she says the errors are "no internet access" (I am connected to my router). When I press her on the freezes she asks if I'm plugged into a power strip or if the unit is in an enclosed area where heat can build up. I tell her it's plugged into the same thing and sitting in the same area as it has been for the last five years and I've only had the problem for about a month. She says it can change. I gave up on her on that point. She had the "I'm not listening to logic and it's not our problem" attitude and I wasn't in the mood for arguing (though I normally would have done it just for fun). I'll call back anothe time.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...