Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR21-100 Random Freezing

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Well ran the generic test tonight and the only error was the phone line not connected. The technician on the line had no idea what the utility was that I ran and said he needed an error 14 to replace it. I said I don't want to argue and be mean nor do I have time for that so please escalate the call. He took some notes based upon our conversation and said it was going to engineering from there. We will see what happens next.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

So I get Cecily in tech support on the line and she says the errors are "no internet access" (I am connected to my router). When I press her on the freezes she asks if I'm plugged into a power strip or if the unit is in an enclosed area where heat can build up. I tell her it's plugged into the same thing and sitting in the same area as it has been for the last five years and I've only had the problem for about a month. She says it can change. I gave up on her on that point. She had the "I'm not listening to logic and it's not our problem" attitude and I wasn't in the mood for arguing (though I normally would have done it just for fun). I'll call back anothe time.

At that point you should have asked for a supervisor or to transferred to Retention. Simply put, there is no need to go thru what you've been going thru.

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Well ran the generic test tonight and the only error was the phone line not connected. The technician on the line had no idea what the utility was that I ran and said he needed an error 14 to replace it. I said I don't want to argue and be mean nor do I have time for that so please escalate the call. He took some notes based upon our conversation and said it was going to engineering from there. We will see what happens next.

I've heard that one before. Do tell us if you get a response, I never have.

Rich

#24 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

No matter what the actual problem is....when I call in it's always "my DVR will not power on, I left it unplugged overnight, plugged it back in and it still won't power on!" They always have sent out a replacement!!!!
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#25 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

No matter what the actual problem is....when I call in it's always "my DVR will not power on, I left it unplugged overnight, plugged it back in and it still won't power on!" They always have sent out a replacement!!!!

LOL! Well 24hrs have gone by and no update. You both have very good points. I will likely maintain my cool till Friday and then ring back and unleash the fury. :mad:

LOVE THIS FORUM!

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

LOL! Well 24hrs have gone by and no update. You both have very good points. I will likely maintain my cool till Friday and then ring back and unleash the fury. :mad:

LOVE THIS FORUM!

Best to be polite and persistent. The CSRs are used to being yelled at by angry subs and tend to treat polite folks better.

iceman2a has a good point. That works every time. Let's not abuse it.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   laramr

laramr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Best to be polite and persistent. The CSRs are used to being yelled at by angry subs and tend to treat polite folks better.

iceman2a has a good point. That works every time. Let's not abuse it.

Rich

Did exactly that tonight. It froze 3 times in about 90 minutes. Fortunately once when I had her on the phone. Took me 20 minutes of polite persistence, but a replacement box is on the way.

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Did exactly that tonight. It froze 3 times in about 90 minutes. Fortunately once when I had her on the phone. Took me 20 minutes of polite persistence, but a replacement box is on the way.

Great! I'm telling you, these people are used to being subjected to all kinds of frustrated rantings and seem thrilled when you're nice to them.

Hope you get a good HR.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   laramr

laramr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Got another HR21. This time a -700. Not as sluggish as the old one - yet. Still waiting to see if that's a learned behavior. :rolleyes:

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Got another HR21. This time a -700. Not as sluggish as the old one - yet. Still waiting to see if that's a learned behavior. :rolleyes:

At least you got the best of the 21 series HRs. It might not (absolutely won't) be as fast as a 24, but they are very reliable.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...