Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Interactive HD?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Will any of the interactive menus or Mix channels be available in HD anytime soon? After scrolling through the nice HD guide and menus, when an interactive menu is used, well it just looks bad. The sportsts scores aren't too bad, but could be improved.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,498 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:42 AM

Nobody here can answer that. But it's probably not very high on DirecTV's priority list.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

I thought NDS takes care of the framework for ITV applications (at least there are DirecTV screen shots on their portfolio).

The guide itself is DirecTV now. Back in the day NDS used to make the guide code too, but not anymore. If they are 2 separate companies, who knows if NDS will be paid to update the apps graphics. It's a cost with questionable return. Although I would hope at some point they are updated as it would be more professional to have a complete HD UI package with no jarring disconnect feeling as today. I guess set top memory considerations also come into play. Like how many high res images can they store or cache?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#4 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

I don't think there is any NDS code in the HD units. I do believe the foundation for the SD DVRs is still NDS. I can't state either of those as 100% certain though.

#5 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

I think the interactive overlays like active, weather, tv apps, game lounge, video mosaic, etc... Is a part of NDS Media Highway. They do list DirecTV as a customer of Media Highway. This dang DBSTalk iPad app isn't letting me paste the link to it, but on NDS website under media highway customers, the DirecTV logo is proudly displayed.

No NDS code in the core software / DVR, but it wouldn't surprise me that all the ITV overlays are different looking because it's part of Media Highway.

Unless a DirecTV rep themselves can come to this thread and speak up on the issue, we will never know. I only speculate from NDS corporate page and a few articles that revealed NDS and DirecTV renewing their contract together. Again sorry I can't seem to paste in this forum app on the iPad or else I'd back it up with a few references.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

spam firewall