Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Internet connectivity

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Aterpinnc

Aterpinnc

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

I finally have joined the modern world and got an HD tv. I am going to upgrade to a Hopper from my 625. I do not have a wired network connection to the tv. Does anyone use some kind of device to use a wireless connection for internet connectivity?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

Yes. That's what I have. The installer can do this for you while he is there.

#3 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

I had a service tech here in August on another issue but we discussed internet connection too. He recommended a wired connection. Or at least do a wireless connection test before you committ. He said he's seen wireless work great in some homes and barely work even in the same room in others.

I can appreciate his comments now. I recently had a terrible wi-fi connection to an iPhone using a major brand router reputed to have good range. Fortunately the seller agreed to a full refund on the router. I have another brand recommended by an IT professional ordered. It's supposed to have even greater range. All I need is 30 feet but the first one wouldn't work outside the room. Worse yet, the manufacturer refused technical support without a large fee even though I had only bought and installed it 24 hours earlier.

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

You should have a couple of options -

One is the before mentioned WiFi. If you have good Wifi coverage where your Hopper is - great.

The other is the Ethernet over Powerline. The VIP receivers (and I would imagine the Hopper as well) have this built in - all you would need is the other end to connect to your router. The flip side - if you're going to put your DVR on a UPS - it needs to be one that can/will pass that through.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

You should have a couple of options -

One is the before mentioned WiFi. If you have good Wifi coverage where your Hopper is - great.

The other is the Ethernet over Powerline. The VIP receivers (and I would imagine the Hopper as well) have this built in - all you would need is the other end to connect to your router. The flip side - if you're going to put your DVR on a UPS - it needs to be one that can/will pass that through.

Hopper does not have Ethernet over Powerline built in as the VIP receivers did. You can use EOP with a two adapter kit. A wide selection available at Newegg.

#6 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Considering that most of us put DVRs on UPS's to cover power blips - that doesn't surprise me too much.

Still - the EOP is a reasonable option if needed.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

spam firewall