Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone with Jadeworld channels?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lacruz

lacruz

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

You might also consider getting a Roku device. Dish announced that the Jadeworld channels would also be available on Roku DishWorld Channel. That way you can keep DirecTV and not have to change your Dish. Just hook the Roku up to your TV, have Wifi in your home, and subscribe to DishWorld separately.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mister_two

mister_two

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Just got DISH installed for the Jadeworld package here in NJ. I ONLY have the Jadeworld package no HD and no American channels, maybe this is why the installer only installed one dish, the 500 Plus. The installer took down the directv dish and installed the 500 plus in its place, same mast. He had to make sure the new DISH would fit because it's bigger (more oval) than the directv satellite.

#23 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Jadeworld alone would be the 118 satellite, so yeah, one 500+.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#24 OFFLINE   etong

etong

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

You might also consider getting a Roku device. Dish announced that the Jadeworld channels would also be available on Roku DishWorld Channel. That way you can keep DirecTV and not have to change your Dish. Just hook the Roku up to your TV, have Wifi in your home, and subscribe to DishWorld separately.

I looked up Dishworld and it sounds a lot like TVpad which eats up a lot of bandwidth from your internet provider. I'm sure Comcast caps their customers for downloading. I'm kind of surprised that they will charge the same amount though when it should be cheaper for streaming video.

Just got DISH installed for the Jadeworld package here in NJ. I ONLY have the Jadeworld package no HD and no American channels, maybe this is why the installer only installed one dish, the 500 Plus. The installer took down the directv dish and installed the 500 plus in its place, same mast. He had to make sure the new DISH would fit because it's bigger (more oval) than the directv satellite.

I asked the person who took my DISH order. She said it will be one dish. But then again, I don't think she really knows the technical details or why it will need two dishes. I guess I will find out from the installer himself soon. I'm really hoping he will take down the old dish because I don't want two dishes on the roof let alone three.

#25 OFFLINE   gorseelai

gorseelai

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

I have just subscribed it couple days ago. The pictures quality is same when the programming was on Directv. They now have added 2 temporary channels to rebroadcast the 2 prime time dramas.

I added the Jadeworld programming over Top 200 package, so only cost $29.99.

#26 OFFLINE   etong

etong

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

I have just subscribed it couple days ago. The pictures quality is same when the programming was on Directv. They now have added 2 temporary channels to rebroadcast the 2 prime time dramas.

I added the Jadeworld programming over Top 200 package, so only cost $29.99.

I just got mine installed. I think the picture quality is slightly worse. I can tell it's a bit more grainy at times. HD channels are not as sharp either. But channel surfing seems quicker than directv. You were right about those two "replay" channels. They replay dramas from a week before i think? Not sure if they will keep those temporary channels but it would be nice. I also had two dishes installed because of HD option. The installer took down the old dish but did not take off the mounts attached to the roof. He said he didn't have anything that can fill the mount holes so he didn't want to remove everything. I feel kind of strange that an installer does not have tool to seal the holes. But i understand that he wasn't obligated to take it down.

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,570 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

I feel kind of strange that an installer does not have tool to seal the holes. But i understand that he wasn't obligated to take it down.

It is a liability ... if he patches your roof and it leaks would you say "oh well, he tried" or be angry and possibly sue DISH and the installer? If everyone just said "oh well" then more installers would attempt to patch the holes. But a few angry customers keep installers within their responsibility.

#28 OFFLINE   etong

etong

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

He actually agreed to do it at first and changed his mind in the end. I think he was in a hurry to leave. But thank god i do not have 3 dishes on the roof now.

#29 OFFLINE   gorseelai

gorseelai

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

In Los Angeles, we only need one dish to receive both International and HD channels. The installer also took the Directv dish off the roof per my request, but can't use the same pole because the mount of the Dish has different size.

I am curious the move from Directv to Dish. Rumor is that TVB was asking for a price increase on their package on Directv, but Directv refused. But now, Dish is selling the package for the same price with some additional English channels, plus if you subscribe to one of the English programmings, Jadeworld will only cost $29.99. From a profit standpoint, it doesn't make sense for TVB. Maybe Directv was asking for a higher retransmission fee?

I notice Dish does carry TV Japan in HD. I am hopefully Dish and Jadeworld will offer TVBHD in the near future. That would be really nice.

#30 OFFLINE   etong

etong

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

I think it's the other way around. Directv asked to take more money from TVB. A lot of people are still under Directv's contract and could not switch. TVB would have nothing to gain asking for a price increase. As far as HD option, TVBUSA is so far behind on that. When I was in Hong Kong a year ago, almost every channel was in HD. Their SD format looks especially terrible and I think it's from the result of PAL vs NTSC mismatch resolutions.

spam firewall