Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

88TV and 88Films are terrible

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   etong

etong

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

These two new cantonese channels supposedly are replacement for TVB channels. I've been watching them for a few days now, they keep showing the same stuff over and over again. I have yet to see Hong Kong news from 88TV channel like they advertised. The movies in 88Films are very old movies also. Seems like DIRECTV wasn't really ready for the transition yet.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gilbgg

gilbgg

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

My parents had TVB on DirectTV but just got switched to the new channel. Do you plan on sticking w/ DirectTV or switching to DISH?

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

DirecTV has no say in what is broadcast by any channel they carry. I'm wondering how you see sub-par content on a channel as DirecTV's fault.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   etong

etong

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

My parents had TVB on DirectTV but just got switched to the new channel. Do you plan on sticking w/ DirectTV or switching to DISH?

Well, I've been watching the new channels and see if they are any good. So far, i'm far from impressed. Not only the contents are old, they are also repetitive. I'm watching the same shows every day. But switching to DISH seems to be a pain too. I was told that I will need to install 2 dishes instead of 1. And DISH quality isn't as good as DirecTV either.

DirecTV has no say in what is broadcast by any channel they carry. I'm wondering how you see sub-par content on a channel as DirecTV's fault.

I think they do. You can google these two channels and will not find anything about their origins. In other words, they don't exist in anywhere else besides DirecTV, not even its native country. That lead me to believe that they are created directly under DirecTV as a temporary solution to keep the existing chinese viewers. These channels are also not available for new subscribers.

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

I think they do. You can google these two channels and will not find anything about their origins. In other words, they don't exist in anywhere else besides DirecTV, not even its native country. That lead me to believe that they are created directly under DirecTV as a temporary solution to keep the existing chinese viewers. These channels are also not available for new subscribers.

You really didn't search too hard.

http://support.direc...vb-usa-channels

"Exclusive Cantonese channels: 88TV and 88Films and Tai Seng Entertainment. 88TV brings a new general entertainment channel featuring news, lifestyle, drama, travel, music and game shows from leading companies in Hong Kong. 88Films, a movie and drama channel featuring both current and classic movies and dramas from providers such as Golden Harvest and Celestial Pictures."

http://en.wikipedia....networks#Ethnic

"Tai Seng Sat TV" is a Chinese TV channel based in San Francisco, CA.

DirecTV doesn't control their programming.

Edited by RunnerFL, 18 November 2012 - 09:41 PM.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   etong

etong

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

You really didn't search too hard did you?

http://support.direc...vb-usa-channels

"Exclusive Cantonese channels: 88TV and 88Films and Tai Seng Entertainment. 88TV brings a new general entertainment channel featuring news, lifestyle, drama, travel, music and game shows from leading companies in Hong Kong. 88Films, a movie and drama channel featuring both current and classic movies and dramas from providers such as Golden Harvest and Celestial Pictures."

http://en.wikipedia....networks#Ethnic

"Tai Seng Sat TV" is a Chinese TV channel based in San Francisco, CA.

DirecTV doesn't control their programming.

Are you serious? These are exclusive DirecTV's channels, of course you will find some sort of information about them on their site. That doesn't take away the fact that nobody knows who owns these two channels or companies (if they even exist). If DirecTV doesn't control their broadcast contents on these two channels, then who does? How do I contact them since they have no website, no phone number or email?

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

Are you serious? These are exclusive DirecTV's channels, of course you will find some sort of information about them on their site. That doesn't take away the fact that nobody knows who owns these two channels or companies (if they even exist). If DirecTV doesn't control their broadcast contents on these two channels, then who does? How do I contact them since they have no website, no phone number or email?

If you read my entire post, instead of getting upset at the first few lines and stopping, you'll see I provided the information as to who owns them. They are owned and operated by "Tai Seng Entertainment", the parent company of "Tai Seng Sat TV" which is a company out of San Francisco, CA.

As for contacting them maybe try their website, http://taiseng.com/.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   etong

etong

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

If you read my entire post, instead of getting upset at the first few lines and stopping, you'll see I provided the information as to who owns them. They are owned and operated by "Tai Seng Entertainment", the parent company of "Tai Seng Sat TV" which is a company out of San Francisco, CA.

As for contacting them maybe try their website, http://taiseng.com/.

Tai Seng is merely a distributor where they pay license fees to asian companies like TVB and different movie studios to broadcast their contents on TV. It has nothing to do with 88TV and 88Films and they don't own those two channels. Nothing on their website suggests that they do. They own their Tai Seng channel, but that's not why I started this topic. And if 88TV and 88Films are private sectors owned by DirecTV like I suspect, then they do control the contents shown on those channels.

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

Tai Seng is merely a distributor where they pay license fees to asian companies like TVB and different movie studios to broadcast their contents on TV. It has nothing to do with 88TV and 88Films and they don't own those two channels. Nothing on their website suggests that they do. They own their Tai Seng channel, but that's not why I started this topic. And if 88TV and 88Films are private sectors owned by DirecTV like I suspect, then they do control the contents shown on those channels.

They are NOT owned/operated by DirecTV. I gave you the answers to the questions you have and you're still complaining. I've helped you but clearly you didn't come here for help, you only came to complain. I'm done.

Did you even bother to look at the wikipedia link I gave you? No... If you had you'd see for yourself who owns them.

And if you had looked around their site, that I gave you a link to, you'd have found this. Complete with contact info!

http://dtv.taiseng.c...ther_en_30.html

"Tai Seng Broadcasting, Inc., an associate company of Tai Seng Entertainment, in partnership with DIRECTV"

They are NOT owned by DirecTV!

Edited by RunnerFL, 18 November 2012 - 10:26 PM.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   etong

etong

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

They are NOT owned/operated by DirecTV. I gave you the answers to the questions you have and you're still complaining. I've helped you but clearly you didn't come here for help, you only came to complain. I'm done.

Did you even bother to look at the wikipedia link I gave you? No... If you had you'd see for yourself who owns them.

Yes, I did look at all links you provided. Where does it say Tai Seng owns those 2 channels? On DirecTV's website? or Wikipedia? How about Tai Seng's own website? I don't even know why you keep linking them together. Tai Seng is a completely seperate entity.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Where does it say Tai Seng owns those 2 channels?

Look at my last post, it's clear as day.

Tai Seng is a completely seperate entity.

No, they are not. At least not according to them!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   etong

etong

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

Look at my last post, it's clear as day.

No, they are not. At least not according to them!

There's nothing on Tai Seng website has any mention about 88TV and 88Films. There's also nothing on the Tai Seng TV channel which I'm watching right now has mentioned anything about those channels either. Yet you keep linking them together. You just assume they are owned and operated by the same people because you saw their names mentioned on the same paragraph.

channel 2102 Tai Seng Entertainment - owns by Tai Seng
channel 2013 88TV
channel 2015 88Films

#13 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

There's nothing on Tai Seng website has any mention about 88TV and 88Films.

I gave you a direct link 2 posts ago:

The channels listed there ARE the channels on DirecTV!

You just assume they are owned and operated by the same people because you saw their names mentioned on the same paragraph.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm reading word for word what it says. "Tai Seng Broadcasting, Inc., an associate company of Tai Seng Entertainment". Sounds pretty much like one owns the other to me.

You believe what you want to believe and ignore the facts. I give up!

I'm so glad I decided to help...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#14 OFFLINE   etong

etong

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

I gave you a direct link 2 posts ago:

The channels listed there ARE the channels on DirecTV!

I'm not assuming anything. I'm reading word for word what it says. "Tai Seng Broadcasting, Inc., an associate company of Tai Seng Entertainment". Sounds pretty much like one owns the other to me.

You believe what you want to believe and ignore the facts. I give up!

I'm so glad I decided to help...

Directly from the link you provided:

"Tai Seng Broadcasting, Inc., an associate company of Tai Seng Entertainment, in partnership with DIRECTV, the country’s #1 satellite provider, has launched three brand new entertainment channels.

Tai Seng Entertainment (in Cantonese)
Tai Seng Sat TV (in Mandarin)
Tai Seng Vietnam (in Vietnamese)"

It clearly states they own 3 channels with only 1 being in Cantonese. 88TV and 88Films are both cantonese channels. Again, no mention of the two channels I'm complaining about on that page, or even the whole website. Any more links I need to read?

#15 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

D* does not own, or control the broadcasting content of, any International channels...

#16 OFFLINE   etong

etong

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

D* does not own, or control the broadcasting content of, any International channels...

I'm not saying they do nor I have proof that they do. The whole purpose for this thread is to address the poor contents of those channels. Whether DirecTV owns them or not, they still service them. Until I know exactly who to reach out to address my concern, it's going to be on DirecTV's shoulders. And I did contact DirecTV about this. All they gave me were the same standard responses that I have seen on their site. Not an email address or phone number to the company which broadcasts the contents.

#17 OFFLINE   aliron

aliron

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

Any idea where I can get programming schedules for 88tv and 88film in Chinese? I've been trying to find more information on these channels and have not had any luck so far. My parents got directv for the TVB channels--they would not be able to make sense of the English titles for shows and movies on the directv guide screen.

And yeah, the new 88tv and 88film channels do not appear on the tai-seng links the other posted listed.

#18 OFFLINE   etong

etong

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

Any idea where I can get programming schedules for 88tv and 88film in Chinese? I've been trying to find more information on these channels and have not had any luck so far. My parents got directv for the TVB channels--they would not be able to make sense of the English titles for shows and movies on the directv guide screen.

And yeah, the new 88tv and 88film channels do not appear on the tai-seng links the other posted listed.

I honestly don't think they have a set schedule. I've been watching them for almost a week now and they keep showing the same stuff on a daily basis. Have yet to see any HK news either like they advertise. They don't have a website or anything to show upcoming shows.

#19 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

I'm not saying they do nor I have proof that they do.

"And if 88TV and 88Films are private sectors owned by DirecTV like I suspect, then they do control the contents shown on those channels."

"That doesn't take away the fact that nobody knows who owns these two channels or companies (if they even exist). If DirecTV doesn't control their broadcast contents on these two channels, then who does?"

"And if 88TV and 88Films are private sectors owned by DirecTV like I suspect, then they do control the contents shown on those channels."

#20 OFFLINE   etong

etong

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

I said "IF" meaning not completely sure.

spam firewall