Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Screen saver: PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   nowandthen

nowandthen

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

Just now it kicked in while I'm watching TV.

I pass by my TV on the way in and out of the room so I always turn the TV on and off by pressing the button on the TV. So I assume the DVR does not know that I turned it on (or off). This is why I would like the option to disable the screen saver. It's not 1984, 1994 or 2004, I don''t have a CRT TV!

Edited by nowandthen, 21 November 2012 - 09:38 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

Just now it kicked in while I'm watching TV.

I pass by my TV on the way in and out of the room so I always turn the TV on and off by pressing the button on the TV. So I assume the DVR does not know that I turned it on (or off). This is why I would like the option to disable the screen saver. It's not 1984, 1994 or 2004, I don''t have a CRT TV!

If the TV is connected with an HDMI cable the DVR does know if the TV is on or off since they communicate thru that cable.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#23 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

Pause will resume after 90 minutes right?

It's not clear what you're asking here. The buffer is only for the last 90 minutes. If you're paused for more than 90 minutes you only get the last 90 minutes. Pause doesn't automatically turn itself off after 90 minutes either.

Are we really worried about burn-in after only 90 minutes? I'm not. I watched years of HGTV while it was still 4:3 aspect ration, only channel I tuned to, guess what? I don't see brighter images where the wider 16:9 images display. OK, maybe it would burn-in if I had a Plasma, but the majority of TVs are LCD, at least give us an option to disable the screensaver, it's become a real annoyance lately.

Just because you're not worried about burn in doesn't mean others aren't.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#24 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

No its a glitch in the software ! I have the screen saver turned off in the power saving mode setting. I can have the news channel playing and Bam ! It pops on. It doesnt happen often 1 or 2 times a month. About as much times you have to reboot the reciever ! And wait 1/2 hour to see TV again :mad:

#25 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

No its a glitch in the software ! I have the screen saver turned off in the power saving mode setting. I can have the news channel playing and Bam ! It pops on. It doesnt happen often 1 or 2 times a month. About as much times you have to reboot the reciever ! And wait 1/2 hour to see TV again :mad:

Turning off power saving does not turn off the screensaver, that is not a bug. There is no way to turn off the screen saver.

The bug is having the screensaver pop up during live tv or when you're watching a recording.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#26 OFFLINE   nowandthen

nowandthen

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

It's not clear what you're asking here. The buffer is only for the last 90 minutes. If you're paused for more than 90 minutes you only get the last 90 minutes. Pause doesn't automatically turn itself off after 90 minutes either.

Just because you're not worried about burn in doesn't mean others aren't.

I expected it to come out of pause after 90 minutes (didn't Tivo do this after its 30 minute buffer timed out?). Not saying this is a Tivo or should act like a Tivo, but that was my reference from years ago...

An option to enable disable screen saver would be nice. I am not worried about burn-in, so I would turn it off as it annoys the heck out of me. For those concerned about burn-in they could leave it enabled. Default of enabled is fine, just let me disable it.

#27 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

I expected it to come out of pause after 90 minutes (didn't Tivo do this after its 30 minute buffer timed out?). Not saying this is a Tivo or should act like a Tivo, but that was my reference from years ago...

No, TiVo did not come out of pause. You only got the last 30 minutes no matter how long you were paused for.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#28 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

I have an older friend, and I was told about this today..... No fixes or explanations??

This is stupid, glad I found this thread....WOW!

#29 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

I haven't heard of anyone having the screensaver come on while playing content back in a few months.

#30 OFFLINE   supermod38

supermod38

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCentral VA.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

I have the HR34 and it will do the screen saver once in a while, not so often that it bothers me.:grin:

I'm not here for a long time, just a GOOD time!
HR34 lease- Vizio 26"
C-31-lease-32" Emerson
HR24-owned-RCA 46"

H24- owned- :righton:

#31 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,928 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

I have the HR34 and it will do the screen saver once in a while, not so often that it bothers me.:grin:

Same here on my HR34;

Occurs rarely, so a really minor annoyance. Particularly after long periods of viewing live TV with no remote entry. Pressing any key brings the picture right back though.

#32 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

Can't say that I have, but then for months I thought the other screensaver bug was fixed, until I finally saw it.

#33 OFFLINE   nowandthen

nowandthen

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Same here on my HR34;

Occurs rarely, so a really minor annoyance. Particularly after long periods of viewing live TV with no remote entry. Pressing any key brings the picture right back though.

Still see it daily. Like you said, press any button and it comes back. But why does it come on in the first place? What better screen saver than ever changing content? HR21. At least you no longer loose the buffer. Last time this reared it's ugly head (several years ago) my DVR would dump the buffer.

Give us an option to enable or disable.

#34 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Still see it daily. Like you said, press any button and it comes back. But why does it come on in the first place? What better screen saver than ever changing content? HR21. At least you no longer loose the buffer. Last time this reared it's ugly head (several years ago) my DVR would dump the buffer.

Give us an option to enable or disable.

Oh, much agreed;

Not trying to trivialize this issue at all, just compared to the past I rarely see it, thus relegated it (so far anyway) to the my "minor annoyance" category. :)

But yes, there definitely needs to be an option to turn off the screensaver for sure. However, like other good ideas it seems to sort of fall on deaf ears in the decision making process of the code developers at DIRECTV.

A lot of good ideas get through, but then a good number of other seemingly very attainable ones don't for some reason.

Don't know whether its bureaucratic inertia or what that causes this kind of intransigence for a very needed feature like this.

#35 OFFLINE   Reggie3

Reggie3

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 549 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

The reason there's a screensaver is for when you've paused playback. It's not supposed to pop up while you're watching tv and there's been activity on the remote.

That has been my experience with my receivers. Only when I had power saving turned on would the screen saver come on. I have found that after some updates the default would reset this to "on"

Basement: H21-100 to 60" Sony SXRD

Family Room: HR34 Genie HDMI to 70" Slharp Elite (Feb 22nd, 2013)

Main Bedroom:  HR22-100  to 50" Panasonic Plasma

Loyal DirecTV customer since 1996

20140423_090700_zps7jf13ohp.jpg

#36 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,647 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Oh, much agreed;

Not trying to trivialize this issue at all, just compared to the past I rarely see it, thus relegated it (so far anyway) to the my "minor annoyance" category. :)

But yes, there definitely needs to be an option to turn off the screensaver for sure. However, like other good ideas it seems to sort of fall on deaf ears in the decision making process of the code developers at DIRECTV.

A lot of good ideas get through, but then a good number of other seemingly very attainable ones don't for some reason.

Don't know whether its bureaucratic inertia or what that causes this kind of intransigence for a very needed feature like this.

Why is this a needed feature?
Yes, the bug that brings it on should be fixed, but if you're watching actively and there's no screen saver, why....?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#37 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Why is this a needed feature?
Yes, the bug that brings it on should be fixed, but if you're watching actively and there's no screen saver, why....?

That's my point;

I'm not confident the bug can ever be completely fixed. :)

It seems to keep making a come back to varying degrees in new versions of FW. DIRECTV should certainly keep trying to solve the problem, but save themselves and subscribers some headaches by giving the receivers the ability to turn it off if a sub. chooses to (at least for now).

I mean, what's it really needed for nowadays anyhow? Aren't the days of screen burn in on flat panel TVs (formally plasma in particular) pretty much a thing of the past?

#38 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

I'm guessing it's happening when you haven't touched the remote for an extended period.

Yes and its UN-NEEDED!!!!!!!

One thing i worry about if im forced off my RCA box that doesnt do this crap....... (It luckily came out before they started this BS)

#39 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Thanks to all!!!...This crazy old coot, all he does is record old movies at night..I find it hard to beleve that during a recording it does it?

Thats just not right!!!!....I feel bad for the guy, there is nothing I can do...he and his wife are wonderful people...

#40 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Just to be clear, it would not affect the recording. Have you tried turning energy saver off?

spam firewall