Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Screen saver: PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,610 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

Just to be clear, it would not affect the recording. Have you tried turning energy saver off?

Just what the notification screen says on the power savings setting menu

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

Just to be clear, it would not affect the recording. Have you tried turning energy saver off?

Yes it is off.....I only know what Ive been told and it has messed up a few recordings...

I live 30 minutes away not like its easy to just drop by for me...

Thanks you

#43 OFFLINE   nowandthen

nowandthen

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Just to be clear, it would not afct the recording. Have you tried turning energy saver off?

Just checked Power Saving with the hope this was the culprit. No luck. Power saving was off. What does power saving do anyway?

#44 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,893 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Puts the receiver in standby after 4 hours of no remote buttons hit.

#45 OFFLINE   GolfWatcher

GolfWatcher

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

Good Afternoon,

Regarding receiver HR22-100 when on a channel for more than 4 hours of no activity the receiver goes into a screen saver/power save mode.  So to fix that...  every 3 1/2 hours someone has to hit a button on the remote so it sees some activity.  We have at least 30 screens that are all on the same channel through a DA.  So when it goes to screen saver people start to lose their minds.  Is there any fix for this...?   Any help is greatly appreciated.

#46 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Good Afternoon,

Regarding receiver HR22-100 when on a channel for more than 4 hours of no activity the receiver goes into a screen saver/power save mode.  So to fix that...  every 3 1/2 hours someone has to hit a button on the remote so it sees some activity.  We have at least 30 screens that are all on the same channel through a DA.  So when it goes to screen saver people start to lose their minds.  Is there any fix for this...?   Any help is greatly appreciated.

No, just turn the power save feature off.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#47 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

That sounds easy enough but does that work??

#48 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

That sounds easy enough but does that work??

NOPE....

#49 OFFLINE   teesee150

teesee150

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

I can't believe there isn't a fix for this. I have a HR22-100 that has been doing this for a couple months. The screen saver randomly pops on about 30-40 times a day. Sometimes it will pop on after 5 minutes, sometimes it will pop on after 60 minutes, but its usually a 3 or 4 times an hour. It will also turn itself off randomly. Sometimes its on for a couple minutes, sometimes its on for an hour and then will randomly go back to live tv.

I have tried completely resetting the receiver, changing the scrolling option, turning power safe mode off, nothing has made a single difference.

DirecTV wants me to PAY to fix the problem to...not sure why they think I should pay to fix equipment that I do not own, absolutely ridicioulus.

*EDIT*

It actually went to screen saver, and back to live TV while I was typing this post out....sigh

Edited by teesee150, 02 January 2014 - 03:56 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

I can't believe there isn't a fix for this. I have a HR22-100 that has been doing this for a couple months. The screen saver randomly pops on about 30-40 times a day. Sometimes it will pop on after 5 minutes, sometimes it will pop on after 60 minutes, but its usually a 3 or 4 times an hour. It will also turn itself off randomly. Sometimes its on for a couple minutes, sometimes its on for an hour and then will randomly go back to live tv.

I have tried completely resetting the receiver, changing the scrolling option, turning power safe mode off, nothing has made a single difference.

DirecTV wants me to PAY to fix the problem to...not sure why they think I should pay to fix equipment that I do not own, absolutely ridicioulus.

*EDIT*

It actually went to screen saver, and back to live TV while I was typing this post out....sigh

Is your system SWIM or non-SWIM?  Also in regards to DTV wanting you to pay for a service call that's 100% normal.  Your user agreement states that you will be charged for service calls and equipment replacement, and you would be hard pressed to find a TV provider that won't charge you for a service call or at least build it in to your monthly price. That's pretty much the status quo for the industry. 

#51 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,893 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

What software version is the hr22 on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#52 OFFLINE   freerein100

freerein100

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

Two of my Three HR20-700's have this problem. It happens mostly while watching sports and movies. Yesterday it happened during the LSU game twice. Luckily it did not happen during a play and all I had to do was hit the play button and it came right back.

#53 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,590 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:43 AM

*EDIT*

Typically this is a symptom of weak or missing signals on one of the DVRs tuners.  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#54 OFFLINE   teesee150

teesee150

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

Is your system SWIM or non-SWIM?  Also in regards to DTV wanting you to pay for a service call that's 100% normal.  Your user agreement states that you will be charged for service calls and equipment replacement, and you would be hard pressed to find a TV provider that won't charge you for a service call or at least build it in to your monthly price. That's pretty much the status quo for the industry. 

Its non-SWM. One cable going straight to the dish.

What software version is the hr22 on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0x740 Wed 10/30

Typically this is a symptom of weak or missing signals on one of the DVRs tuners.  

I have the DVR setup for One Tuner

Satellite 101: Lowest 93 Highest 100. Tuner 28 is 0

Satelitte Setup: Round 18", Multiswitch, Single Tuner

I know its on an old satellite, but I had to replace the receiver since the other one was about 10 years old and didn't work anymore since it wasn't compatible with the signal.

Edited by teesee150, 03 January 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#55 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,112 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

Wait what dish do you have? Im starting to think if it's really that old a dish you may have old connectors or an lnb that isn't happy that giving you intermittent weak signals by maybe not getting enough power. How old is the cabling and how long is it as well? Do you know if it's rg59 or rg6?

#56 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

Its non-SWM. One cable going straight to the dish.

If it is a DVR with one cable and you're capable of recording 2 things at a time it is definitely a SWM system.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#57 OFFLINE   teesee150

teesee150

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

Wait what dish do you have? Im starting to think if it's really that old a dish you may have old connectors or an lnb that isn't happy that giving you intermittent weak signals by maybe not getting enough power. How old is the cabling and how long is it as well? Do you know if it's rg59 or rg6?

It's the old non-HD round (18" i think?) dish. I put it up on my barn (where my office is) as it was easier than trying to run cables from my SWM system in the house and I had it from when I upgraded a few years ago. LNB on the dish was replaced 2 or 2.5 years ago. The cable is RG6 quad shield, maybe about 50' long.

If it is a DVR with one cable and you're capable of recording 2 things at a time it is definitely a SWM system.

It's a SWM capable receiver, but its not connected to a SWM setup. I was using an old dish and receiver for my office in my barn. Since the recent DTV changes, I had to upgrade the receiver and just grabbed an extra one I had in the house that was left over from a recent upgrade to the HR44

*EDIT*

I have another Slimline dish that I was going to put up, but I haven't been very motivated with this cold weather here (-4*F this morning and -15*F windchill). If we get a break in the weather, I'll try and swap out the dish and see what happens.

Edited by teesee150, 03 January 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,112 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

Ok. So next thing I'd ask is Have you rerun setup and set it to one tuner only on that box? Even if you've done it in the past if do it again now just to see. You shouldn't be having these issues IMHO.

#59 OFFLINE   Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

I'm guessing it's happening when you haven't touched the remote for an extended period.

Yeah, this started happening when I got a Genie HR44-700 a few months ago. It takes a while, but if you don't touch anything for that extended amount of time, the SS will come on. It is pretty rare, but I have walked away from a boring football game and forgot to come back. After a real long absence the SS will come on. As I recall, there is even a message that comes up saying the SS came on because the remote wasn't used for some period of time.

#60 OFFLINE   teesee150

teesee150

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

Ok. So next thing I'd ask is Have you rerun setup and set it to one tuner only on that box? Even if you've done it in the past if do it again now just to see. You shouldn't be having these issues IMHO.

Yes, I originally rerun setup when I brought the box over to this older satellite. I also did a complete reset on the box and reran the setup again. Made no difference.

Yeah, this started happening when I got a Genie HR44-700 a few months ago. It takes a while, but if you don't touch anything for that extended amount of time, the SS will come on. It is pretty rare, but I have walked away from a boring football game and forgot to come back. After a real long absence the SS will come on. As I recall, there is even a message that comes up saying the SS came on because the remote wasn't used for some period of time.

I can touch my remote, and within 2 or 3 three minutes, the screen saver issue will start acting up again. The screen saver doesn't come on because of remote activity, the screen saver should ONLY come on when you have a recording paused, NOT for anything else. The receiver goes into power saving mode (black screen) with no remote activity.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...