Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Screen saver: PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#76 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,396 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:11 PM

Another potential cause of this is if you have a multi-switch system, you have only one cable connected to the satellite in ports, and you have the receiver set up in dual tuner mode.  The screen saver will activate for what ever reason if it's trying to read signal on the second tuner and it's not there. 

Not "for whatever reason" but rather because you will have an OSD 771 on tuner 2 until is put back to single tuner.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 645 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:09 PM

My HR21 did this often, especially if it was on a music channel (sound shuts off, sometimes tuner, too).  Now that I'm "migrating" to the HR44 and the 21 is no longer making recordings overnight, seems to be happening much less (if at all anymore).  I could almost count on it every night if there was going to be a recording happening.

It seems that if you're not constantly using the remote the HR "assumes" it can just go ahead and "steal" the active tuner, leaving a screen saver (music channel or no) in its place in order to make the recording.  There's really no excuse for this.  These machines should "stay" however the user leaves them.  I guess it's just too much trouble for the HR to "power-up" its second tuner...

#78 OFFLINE   Skram0

Skram0

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:51 AM

Well, my HR24-500 still does this. I was done watching TV a while back and just left it on the channel I was watching, it was about 8:30p for my last key press. And sure enough I think it was just about exactly 3 hours later, about 11:30p, the screen saver logo appeared. Fricking annoying. The TV wasn't paused or anything. I press a button on the remote and it snaps out of it. All power saving "features" are turned off. And it doesn't do this all the time.

It's just one of those annoying bugs in DirecTV's receivers that they just can't seem to fix. Incompetence at its best.

Reminds me of the other bug that's been annoying me for years, after my receiver gets an update it resets my Now Playing list sort order. They insist on putting my sort order to show newest recordings at the top. Really, who wants that? You always want to play oldest first. If you have a folder of 30 episodes it gets tedious to scroll down all the way to the bottom just to play the earliest episode. BTW, whole folder play doesn't work right either, it wants to replay episodes I've already watched. But this bug is for another thread.

At least some people acknowledge there was a bug in at least one model: DirecTV H23 Screen Saver Fix

Tons of other people having this issue: https://www.google.c...ctv screensaver

Edited by Skram0, 09 July 2016 - 03:58 AM.

#79 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,914 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:15 PM

They insist on putting my sort order to show newest recordings at the top. Really, who wants that? 

A lot of us...  

Now if they could actually make "Date (oldest first)" actually sort by DATE and not Episode number I'll be happy.

• ejbvt likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#80 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 20,508 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:54 PM

Most people want newest at top that I have see. I like both that and a-z most the time.

And runner they love oldest based on OAD even if it's not perfectly labeled that. They aren't great with terms. Just try to sort by category. That's a freaking filter!

#81 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,914 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:50 PM

Most people want newest at top that I have see. I like both that and a-z most the time.

And runner they love oldest based on OAD even if it's not perfectly labeled that. They aren't great with terms. Just try to sort by category. That's a freaking filter!

No, it's not by OAD at all...  It's by episode.  I've seen it MANY times where, for example, episode 10 airs before episode 9 yet in the list episode 9 is before 10.   It's NOT by date if they are going to do that.

Edited by RunnerFL, 09 July 2016 - 09:51 PM.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#82 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 20,508 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:16 PM

I've not seen or noticed that, guess I haven't seen the shows that where aired out of order. But that's what they are after because logically your air a series in order or episode so...

#83 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,914 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:50 AM

I've not seen or noticed that, guess I haven't seen the shows that where aired out of order. But that's what they are after because logically your air a series in order or episode so...

I've even posted pics showing it in the past...  You're clearly not getting it...  If I choose to sort by date I want to sort by date, not episode number.  Either change the option to "Sort by Episode" or actually sort by date as the user requests.  Date order and episode order are not always the same.

Edited by RunnerFL, 10 July 2016 - 08:50 AM.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#84 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 20,508 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:54 PM

I've even posted pics showing it in the past... You're clearly not getting it... If I choose to sort by date I want to sort by date, not episode number. Either change the option to "Sort by Episode" or actually sort by date as the user requests. Date order and episode order are not always the same.

I get what you want. I'm just not sure it is as easy as you think to make these choices and be consistent.

You want the parent and child sorted the same. The overall playlist and what's in a folder.

If you want to get technical about it they actually haven't done that in years. Sort by a-z has left series inside folders sorted by date recorded for years (although before they allowed you to press play on a folder and play all episodes automatically in order the unit would also sort series inside a folder by episode title alphabetically) before the episode numbers where added. So they aren't doing anything different other than they changed the sort inside folders for series from date recorded to episode number.

While It may not be right always I'd bet 99% of the time episode order is the same as oad. Which if you are recording new episodes of shows would in theory be the same as sorting it newest always.

They actually sort things really weird for arsl.

If the arsl is set by a regular keyword search such as an actor then....

If you choose by date newest or oldest then what's in the folder will be sorted by newest or oldest.

If you choose by a-z or z-a then what's in the folder is still sorted by newest to oldest always.

Then it gets really weird...

If you create a folder that is for an actor say tom hanks and you sort the playlist by a-z where should the folder land? Imho it should land where tom hanks would land in your playlist. But the playlist doesn't do that. It puts the folder where the name of the latest recording is. So if the most recent tom hanks recording is the movie big the folder lands in the playlist where big would fall.

Like I said the same person that did this did the sort by category. They have no clue what those things mean.

Why can't they sort by folder name if there's a folder so arsl folders land in spots that make sense.

I'm guessing the vast majority of people like and prefer series being sorted by episode number inside folders. While I get your point I don't get why you find it to be a problem. But that's a personal preference thing.

So really the only way to fix the problem you have with this scheme would not be to have them sort the same inside and outside the folder but to have separate sorting preferences for things inside the folder with options for series folders and options for non series folders... I think it's to hard to swap sort order today... that would be even worse IMHO. But an option to sort by episode number would make everyone ask how should the rest of the playlist be ordered?

I've always wanted a simple toggle with the fwd and rewd buttons to move through different sort orders.. fwd to chose the sort order and rewd would move you to the opposite end of the playlist instead of resorting the playlist.

And if it where me the sort options would probably be labeled alphabetical and recent. And then inside folders, if it's a series folder it would always be by episode and if it was a group folder then it would be by date if you where sorting by date and alphabetically if you sort by alphabetical.

I'd also use skip and replay buttons to jump to the begging or the end of a folder...

Frankly I wish they'd do the playlist like replaytv did it, it'd be better all around...

They will never do it as you ask because it'd get to complicated to understand. How would you sort the rest of the playlist if you had chosen by episode as a sort order?

#85 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,914 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:00 PM

I get what you want. I'm just not sure it is as easy as you think to make these choices and be consistent.

The fix is so easy that it baffles me that they haven't done it.  As I said in a previous post...  Just change it to read "Sort By Episode Number".

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#86 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 2,103 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:23 PM

I actually just saw this occur yesterday.  I think that the show was Big Easy Motors.  As it turned out, my Genie had recorded the first two episodes in "Genie Recommends".  So, when I setup the recording for it, both the first & second episodes were moved into my Playlist.  When I saw that episode 4 is the next one to air, I was surprised to see that episode 3 wasn't in my playlist or available On Demand until I realized that the History Channel is airing two episodes back to back each week and they were out of order both last week and this week.  Episode 2 aired last Tuesday at 10pm and Episode 1 aired the same night at 10:30 pm.  The same is happening this week.  Ep4 is on at 10 and Ep 3 is at 10:30.

With shows like this one, it really doesn't matter what order they air the episodes because there is rarely anything that happens that requires continuity,

#87 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 20,508 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:40 PM

The fix is so easy that it baffles me that they haven't done it. As I said in a previous post... Just change it to read "Sort By Episode Number".

I don't disagree but then what does that say to people about how it orders the folders in the main playlist? How is that supposed to be sorted then? No matter which way you do it something won't seem quite right. The sort options are for the main playlist not for what's inside the folders based on the fact that what's in any kind of folder aren't always sorted the same as the option you choose.

#88 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,914 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:41 PM

I don't disagree but then what does that say to people about how it orders the folders in the main playlist? How is that supposed to be sorted then? No matter which way you do it something won't seem quite right. The sort options are for the main playlist not for what's inside the folders based on the fact that what's in any kind of folder aren't always sorted the same as the option you choose.

They really don't seem to care all that much anymore so I really don't see them doing anything actually.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#89 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 20,508 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:09 PM

I think they really do have a new GUI coming and have stopped messing with the current one.

#90 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,914 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:31 AM

Perfect example showing that "Date (Newest First)" clearly doesn't do what you want it to.  The newest recording is clearly not the one on top here.  A playlist sort should NOT rely on data that may or may not be there every time, episode number in this case.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0270.JPG

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...