Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

placement of sonora amp and polarity locker?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

Dish is on roof....approx 70ft run to basement where ground blocks are located as well as swm16s and splitters. Should i put the amp and polarity locker in the attic near the dish? if i do i will be before the ground...is that ok? or can i place the amp and polarity locker in the basement near everything else at the end of the 70ft run?

Thanks

Philip

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

I'm wondering if you actually need the amp or polarity locker.

If you are using a SWM16, or are running through some all-power-passing splitters to use two SWM16s, you basically already have a polarity locker right there. Just make sure you are using solid copper core coax to avoid the excessive DC losses that you get with copper-coated steel. (RG11 solid copper would be the best but it can be hard to find.)

As far as signal level, 70ft is not all that long of a run, people have gone much further without an amp. The AGC of the SWM-16 is a big help.

Now, if you are multi-way splitting into a whole bunch of SWM16s, for an MDU or something, that might be a different story since the splitter losses come into play. So in that case you might need an amp.

Keith

#3 OFFLINE   pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Understood. but if i do get the amp and polarity locker.....where would it go in my scenario?

Thanks

Philip

#4 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

Understood. but if i do get the amp and polarity locker.....where would it go in my scenario?

Thanks

Philip

At the input of the splitters. [I too question the use/need for them]
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

I agree also....but as you can see from my other thread regarding losing transponders randomly with SWM16 and I have replaced EVERYTHING repeatedly..... I am out of options. I have gone through 5 swm15s already.

#6 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

I agree also....but as you can see from my other thread regarding losing transponders randomly with SWM16 and I have replaced EVERYTHING repeatedly..... I am out of options. I have gone through 5 swm15s already.

You're trying to band-aid another problem.
"If" using a locker and an amp does do any good, it would simply be masking the real problem, which should be addressed instead.

70' of good coax isn't a problem that either of these would be needed for.
The combined loss of 70' & 2-way splitters, should be ≈ 10 dB, which [again] is well withing the input range of the SWiMs. "The worst" this might cause is rainfade starting a bit sooner than with less loss.

As to losing transponders, can you be more specific?
Which ones, which SATs, and does if happen on all receivers?
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Only 1 swm16 right now....havent connected the 2nd one yet as I am still having issues with just one. Here is the original thread that you were helping me with.... http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=210003

#8 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

If you haven't change the coax to the dish to solid copper core, do it.

the locker would only boost the voltage by 1-2 volts, which "might be" enough, but it's better to address the use of the wrong coax instead.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

thats the only thing i havent done. I was going to do RG11 but can't find any Solid copper through my distributors... I will do RG6 SC. Still doesnt make sense though that it works fine for a while then acts up. If it was a cable issue it should be a problem all the time.

#10 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

thats the only thing i havent done. I was going to do RG11 but can't find any Solid copper through my distributors... I will do RG6 SC. Still doesnt make sense though that it works fine for a while then acts up. If it was a cable issue it should be a problem all the time.

70' of CCS RG6 is borderline, so it shouldn't be a surprise.
You're dealing with a voltage drop because of the resistance.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Should i find the RG11 SC or just use the RG6 sc?

#12 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Should i find the RG11 SC or just use the RG6 sc?

for 70', RG11 is overkill

"If/when" you need RG11: http://www.solidsign...ck-(sky11c95rb)
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

going to pick the rg6 up at my distributor today. Think i should do quad shield? thats what i got now. Just pain terminating.

#14 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

going to pick the rg6 up at my distributor today. Think i should do quad shield? thats what i got now. Just pain terminating.

Unless you have a transmitter in your backyard, [again] QS is more overkill.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

ok thanks....will report outcome after i run the cable

#16 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

There are always sellers on eBay who will make up cut to length RG-11 wires pre-connectorized that will save most people money over buying a 1000' spool and a connector installation tool.

I know I've gone a couple hundred feet through copper clad center RG-6 with no voltage problem. Not that I'm recommending it. And with an SLM LNB, you actually have half the effective center conductor resistance because two coaxes in parallel are carrying 18 volts.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...