Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Vs DirecTv

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

Agreed, that fact that the Hopper logs tuners for specific channels during specific times makes it NOT for me lol.

The Hopper uses a single tuner to record PTAT. You can disable PTAT recording and free up that tuner during prime time.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

If HD picture quality is important to you...Dish Network isn't even an option.

I recently moved from FiOS to Dish. FiOS arguably has some of the best HD in the biz because they don't add compression to their signals. I chose Dish because they have more of the HD channels that I wanted, and because I like their equipment better. I was very worried about the HD PQ but there is not a noticeable drop off in my eyes. There is in the SD PQ but DirecTV's is even worse. I'm more than happy with Dish.

#23 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

I watch Dish HD 90 percent of the time now because I can't stand waiting for my Directv receiver to respond to a remote button press. Now THAT is annoying and a proven fact.

I would say to any potential Directv sub......wait.

...Until Directv decides to make a receiver that has proper processing power and combines it with properly written software.

Agreed.

I made the mistake of jumping to the Genie and have been looking for a way out of it ever since. Unfortunately it's only gotten worse as they add features.

#24 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Agreed.

I made the mistake of jumping to the Genie and have been looking for a way out of it ever since. Unfortunately it's only gotten worse as they add features.

I miss the days when other manufacturers created DIRECTV boxes, like RCA and Sony. I think that Echostar does a nice job for Dish but the DIRECTV boxes are too slowly responsive for my taste.

#25 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

The facts tell a different story.

Do you have a link to these facts?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#26 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

I look at the programming as that is why we watch. DirecTV is better for sports and Dish looks better for movies. Look at the packages and pick the one that is best for you.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#27 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

I miss the days when other manufacturers created DIRECTV boxes, like RCA and Sony.

DIRECTV's boxes are manufactured mostly by Pace and Samsung with a few from Thomson (Technicolor/RCA).

The main issue is probably the software as updating the software seems to impact all of the different models.

The way that hardware is changing and new features are rolling out, it isn't the same as it was for the first ten years where any box was more or less as serviceable as any other.

The basic chipsets are pretty similar between DIRECTV and DISH. DISH seems to have significantly more discipline with respect to their software.

While they would probably never admit to missing some of the fancy features, the TiVotees don't seem to be complaining about the performance of the THR-22 versus the almost universal complaints about the HR-2[1-3].

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#28 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

I look at the programming as that is why we watch. DirecTV is better for sports and Dish looks better for movies.

It is imperative to not paint each with too broad a brush. Each has a few surprises that the other should have but mysteriously doesn't carry.

Tomorrow, for example, DIRECTV customers on the Wet Coast won't be able to use their service to watch the Civil War football game on the Pac-12 network but most DISH customers will.

#29 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Do you have a link to these facts?

List a single 1080i channel offered by Dish in its full resolution.
DTV = Digital Television

#30 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

You're right - Dish apparently down samples 1920x1080 to 1440x1080. I have to tell you though, after recently moving from FiOS to Dish, the HD on Dish looks very, very good to me - surprisingly so in fact.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Lite

Edited by Reaper, 23 November 2012 - 11:00 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

List a single channel where the difference is actually noticeable.

I also have multiple pro. calibrated sets and theres hardly a difference, many other people who arent biased have also noted the difference isnt big enough to make a fuss over.

This has been the only point you have ever made in all of these vs threads and its funny thats its practically not a point at all lol.

#32 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

List a single channel where the difference is actually noticeable.

I also have multiple pro. calibrated sets and theres hardly a difference, many other people who arent biased have also noted the difference isnt big enough to make a fuss over.

This has been the only point you have ever made in all of these vs threads and its funny thats its practically not a point at all lol.

Noticeable? Every single 1080i channel. Unless you're among the crowd who believe DVD-quality is good enough, that the original release of Patton on blu-ray looked great, and a Vizio LCD is a high quality display.

DirecTV has superior HD picture quality.
DirecTV has substantially more HD channels.
DirecTV is far better at retaining existing HD channels.
DirecTV's equipment/technology/features do not go hand-in-hand with lawsuits, theft, and various unethical business practices...a frequent occurrence with Dish Network.
DTV = Digital Television

#33 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,291 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'll give you convinced.

Other than that, feel free to repeat the mantra that few believe.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#34 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

DirecTV has superior HD picture quality.

Acting as if the difference in quality between is so huge its worth noting.
Again the difference in quality is slight, not large.

DirecTV has substantially more HD channels.

Maybe more Sports in HD, but aside from that non-sports fans wont care.
On the national channel HD listings there about the same with a slight advantage to Dish.

DirecTV is far better at retaining existing HD channels.

Acting as if Dtv never has disputes either, IIRC you guys lost viacom stuff for a month not to long ago right? Every company has negotiation issues, this is not exclusive to either Dish or Dtv.

DirecTV's equipment/technology/features do not go hand-in-hand with lawsuits, theft, and various unethical business practices...a frequent occurrence with Dish Network.

This is probably the only ounce of unbiased truth that isnt riddled in semantic bs you have said all day good job :)

I have no preference for either company I love them both to death honestly (i.e. im never going back to cable as long as there both around).
At the end of the day the differences like "picture quality" arent really differences at all except to people with pro calibrated tv's and even then its not a difference that they care about.

When deciding between the two you have to ignore the fan boys who pretend Dtv is apparently in 4k resolution and just look at the channel listings+ the receiver features and choose based off that.
Everything else is a nonpoint.

#35 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Acting as if the difference in quality between is so huge its worth noting.
Again the difference in quality is slight, not large.

Typical response from a sub of an inferior service.

Maybe more Sports in HD, but aside from that non-sports fans wont care.
On the national channel HD listings there about the same with a slight advantage to Dish.

False. More in both categories. Also, those sports channels are national HD channels.

Acting as if Dtv never has disputes either, IIRC you guys lost viacom stuff for a month not to long ago right? Every company has negotiation issues, this is not exclusive to either Dish or Dtv.

DirecTV resolves their disputes. The Viacom issue!was was resolved in the blink of any eye compared to Dish's efforts. DirecTV has a much better track record.
DTV = Digital Television

#36 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

I have both services running at the same time for over a year. Unlike you my posts arent based off of speculation.

False. More in both categories. Also, those sports channels are national HD channels.

More semantics. A non-sports fan could argue that the non-sports HD listing is very similar with both services having a fairly equal amount of HD channels. The difference being in a few that are on HD in one but not the other.
(Thus why its always suggested to see the listing before hand, as there both incredibly similar to non-sports fans).

DirecTV resolves their disputes. The Viacom issue!was was resolved in the blink of any eye compared to Dish's efforts. DirecTV has a much better track record.

Aside from the actual Voom channels and MSG that were lost I cant think of many/any Dish negotiations that were not resolved.
Though ultimately you are correct Dtv has the better track record when it comes to this.
How ever its not like either provider is stuck without multiple networks for long stretches of times.

#37 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

I have both services running at the same time for over a year. Unlike you my posts arent based off of speculation.

My post are not based off of speculation.

More semantics. A non-sports fan could argue that the non-sports HD listing is very similar with both services having a fairly equal amount of HD channels. The difference being in a few that are on HD in one but not the other.
(Thus why its always suggested to see the listing before hand, as there both incredibly similar to non-sports fans).

Not semantics. Facts.

Aside from the actual Voom channels and MSG that were lost I cant think of many/any Dish negotiations that were not resolved.
Though ultimately you are correct Dtv has the better track record when it comes to this.
How ever its not like either provider is stuck without multiple networks for long stretches of times.

False. Apparently you have some research to conduct.
DTV = Digital Television

#38 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Nope.
If you have something to say post links to the source of your claims, im not going to go googling for you :D

#39 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

I'm asking you for a link and you're giving me the DIRECTV apologist "conventional wisdom".

The other side of your specious argument is that resolution <> quality. You can have a 1920x1080 signal that is passing only 2GB/hour that will surely look a lot worse than a 1440x1080 signal at the same or higher rate.

#40 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

Superiority, much like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. For me, I much prefer Dish's technology, and they have more of the HD channels that I care about (H2, HLN, Cartoon Network, EPIX, etc). Yes, it would be nice to have Sunday Ticket. I had it for 4 or 5 years but it is simply too expensive nowadays for my tastes. I'll "suffer" with national broadcasts, NFL RedZone, and the local Steelers bar.

I was worried about the HD PQ with Dish but I'm glad that it was a needless concern.

It's good that you're happy with DIRECTV, but that doesn't mean that you should insult others' preferred provider as being "inferior". That's merely your opinion based on your own unique tastes. You have a point about resolution. I and others have a point about the sluggish DIRECTV UI. And there are points to be made on both sides about programming. It's all about what's important to the individual.

Edited by Reaper, 25 November 2012 - 01:57 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...