Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Vs DirecTv

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

I will admit to bias - I've been a DirecTv customer for 17 years, long before I started working for them. I have family members that have defected to Dish, and I honestly think I've a better HD picture. I have 2 HR24s and a HR34with client and they work seamlessly most of the time. No one I know has a Hopper for me to compare it to.
I WILL say that I have called customer service for the competitor, on behalf of my 83 year old aunt, enough to have created an opinion, and yes, I think DirecTV does it better.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

Congratulations, you fanbois of both providers have been pwned by a hit-and-run threadstarter.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#43 OFFLINE   beandaddy

beandaddy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Is there a current channel listing, say in an xls file somewhere on the web of the two?
I have a feeling there isn't a significant difference between the two. I'm not a sports fan so the occasional game I might want to watch is probably on a local or ESPN anyway.
Now the hardware ill need to do a lot more research on. I'm out of contract and dish vip722 is an awful box. My dtv hr20 was no fuss, get the job done.
So these new DVR multi recorders are completely new to me, so guessing I'm going to pay whether I switch back to dtv or just upgrade with dish.
Advice and input is appreciated

#44 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,568 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

I don't believe anyone has bothered to maintain a complete channel comparison. I started one for all channels a few years ago and gave up quickly. I still maintain a HD channel comparison but it needs updated.

#45 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

I wanted to do that, too. Both companies don't seem to offer a listing that pastes nicely into a spreadsheet.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#46 OFFLINE   beandaddy

beandaddy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

It's as if our friendly satellite providers wish to obfuscate their offerings...
An HDTV only list would just about do. I've been on HD for six or seven years and if it ain't on HD, I'm not likely to put it in my lineup.

#47 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,568 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

DirecTV & DISH Network HD Channel Lineup Comparison

Enjoy!

#48 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

I don't believe anyone has bothered to maintain a complete channel comparison. I started one for all channels a few years ago and gave up quickly. I still maintain a HD channel comparison but it needs updated.

I look at the programming as that is why we watch. DirecTV is better for sports and Dish looks better for movies. Look at the packages and pick the one that is best for you.

Hardly. While DirecTV doesn't offer Epix, Dish does not offer all of the Cinemax or Showtime channels. And Cinemax and Showtime is a better offer than Epix. DirecTV is the winner in sports and programming.

#49 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

Hardly. While DirecTV doesn't offer Epix, Dish does not offer all of the Cinemax or Showtime channels. And Cinemax and Showtime is a better offer than Epix. DirecTV is the winner in sports and programming.

While the first part of your comment is factually true, the latter is solely your opinion.

Yes Dish doesn't have all the Cinemax & Showtime channels, but I haven't noticed that causing movies to be missed. In general, almost all the movies will show on all the channels of Sho&Max that the missing ones have.

And Epix is a great movie addition as it has movies from studios that don't show up on the others.

D* & E* are literally 2 pods in the same pea overall, with slight emphasis one way or the other outside of sports.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#50 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,075 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Do you have a link to these facts?

No he doesn't ! LOL

He considers anything that comes out of his mouth to be facts.:lol:

I've had both, and the difference is minimal at best.

And quite honestly, Directvs HD PQ , has been looking softer lately IMO.

It doesn't have that Snap it once had. So maybe Directv is packing TP's to the max?

Just doesn't seem as impressive lately.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#51 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,568 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Yes Dish doesn't have all the Cinemax & Showtime channels, but I haven't noticed that causing movies to be missed. In general, almost all the movies will show on all the channels of Sho&Max that the missing ones have.

And Epix is a great movie addition as it has movies from studios that don't show up on the others.

That is a good point ... the studio contracts limiting movies to one outlet means those movies will not be seen on other outlets ... regardless of the number of channels they have. Multiple channels means more movies can be shown at the same time and some themes can be followed (with most movies making it on the main channels occasionally or at least on a different theme channel) ... but if Cinemax or Showtime doesn't have the rights they don't have the movies.

#52 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

Cinemax and Showtime are better offers than Epix ?
what are u smoking?
And the Epix channels are included at no extra cost whereas Cinemax and Showtime cost an arm and 2 legs

#53 OFFLINE   beandaddy

beandaddy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

I turn off showtime after tonight for another year. Dexter and Homeland finales tonight. I've had Netflix since the 20th century, so movies are old by the time any premiums get them. GOOD movies are a great rarity these days anyway...

#54 OFFLINE   PeteyEsco

PeteyEsco

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Does Dish or DTV offer MSG channel to customers not in the New York area? Knicks fan here, unfortunately Charter Cable does not offer NBA League pass.

#55 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,911 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Does Dish or DTV offer MSG channel to customers not in the New York area? Knicks fan here, unfortunately Charter Cable does not offer NBA League pass.

You'd need NBA League Pass for Knicks games where you are. DirecTV carries MSG, Dish doesn't. However, the games will be blacked out without LP.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#56 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

DirecTV has MSG, Dish Network does not. It's offered as an RSN and for use with various sports packages.
DTV = Digital Television

#57 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Cinemax and Showtime are better offers than Epix ?
what are u smoking?
And the Epix channels are included at no extra cost whereas Cinemax and Showtime cost an arm and 2 legs

Not true. EPIX 1/2/3 are only available with DISH either on the BB@H package for $10 or a stand-alone with EPIX Drive-in for $7 a month. Drive-In is added at no additional in the Top 250 only. So, with current promos, I can get Showtime cheaper for 6 months and have more variety (8 unique feeds in SHO) than the 4 EPIX feeds.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#58 OFFLINE   Trekkie

Trekkie

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

I've been on Centurylink Prism for two years after bailing on DirecTV after my frustration with things not working like I wanted. It's been a while since I've been around.

Prism has been unable to increase the number of simultaneous HD channels above one since October 2011. It's a distance limitation for my house, since i'm not able to move I keep asking, and keep getting told soon. It isn't a *huge* deal except every spring and every fall the stupid networks move their shows around and inevitably shows get missed because Prism can't resolve conflicts and/or step down to SD when HD is unavailable. I'm not home a lot so DVR recording getting missed over a HD conflict ticks me off, and it happened again with the new mid season stuff. So, I'm debating switching away.

So I'm back and looking at Dish and DirecTV again. Since I can't go anywhere and look at either of these DVRs and play on my own I'm busy trying to find good side by sides in comparison.

Couple things I can't find the answer for:

Dish:

1) The PrimeTime + 2 Streams recording. If one of the shows I want to make sure is recorded is in prime time, does it consume one of my two streams?

2) Is hopper smart enough to know that the show comes on again in two/three hours and isn't a repeat, and if there is a conflict at an earlier time to record teh later time?

3) How many satellite dish are needed for a hopper + Joey

4) Is the satellite in the same general spot as the DirecTV Satellite ( MY home owners get whiney if you can see the dish, I have an exception for where the old satellite is. Would be nice if it doesn't point say 180 in the opposite direction or on other side of house.

5) What cable type is used to feed the box and how many. What are the ethernet ports used for

6) Pretty clear that if I want any Disney property in HD it's a non-starter with this provider, is that still true/has a resolution been reached or is the multi-year saga still ongoing?

7) Is there anything I can't do from the Joey?

DirecTV:

1) Is their DVR still limited to 50 season passes?

2) Are all shows HD if it's recording more than two at a time?

3) How many satellite dish are needed for Genie + Two Mobile TVs

4) What cabling is used to feed the DVR box and how many. What are the ethernet ports used for

5) Is there anything I can't do from the remote box?

#59 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,553 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

DirecTV has MSG, Dish Network does not. It's offered as an RSN and for use with various sports packages.

A non-answer.

DIRECTV offers MSG to out-of-market subscribers through the $12.99 Sports Pack (unless blacked out for sometimes mysterious reasons). Another alternative would be the $99 NBA League Pass that could also be subject to inexplicable blackout.

DISH claims to offer the Knicks only to in-market viewers through the NBA League Pass package. It seems like it should be the other way around.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#60 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Some answers inline:

Dish:

1) The PrimeTime + 2 Streams recording. If one of the shows I want to make sure is recorded is in prime time, does it consume one of my two streams?

PrimeTime is only for the big 4 broadcast stations, so during prime time if you have it turned on it uses 1 tuner to record them leaving you 2 tuners to record/watch.

2) Is hopper smart enough to know that the show comes on again in two/three hours and isn't a repeat, and if there is a conflict at an earlier time to record teh later time?

Once you have your series links setup I've found that it is very good at picking up on conflicts and getting the episode recorded assuming it is repeated. In general the 'cable' type channels repeat incessantly, so picking them up is easy.

3) How many satellite dish are needed for a hopper + Joey

Usually just one.

4) Is the satellite in the same general spot as the DirecTV Satellite ( MY home owners get whiney if you can see the dish, I have an exception for where the old satellite is. Would be nice if it doesn't point say 180 in the opposite direction or on other side of house.

Depends on your location. In markets that use the western arc, the Dish dish is pointing in the same general direction, SW. But for other markets, it is pointing SE.

5) What cable type is used to feed the box and how many. What are the ethernet ports used for

1 wire to each receiver, should be RG6.
The ethernet port is used to get the system on the internet, or if you get a Hopper w/Sling you can accomplish the same thing wirelessly and it will share the internet access with other Hoppers/Joeys in the system

6) Pretty clear that if I want any Disney property in HD it's a non-starter with this provider, is that still true/has a resolution been reached or is the multi-year saga still ongoing?

Who knows? It is tied up with the lawsuit.

7) Is there anything I can't do from the Joey?

can't answer as I have a 2 Hopper only system.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

spam firewall