Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Vs DirecTv

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

[quote name='Trekkie']Couple things I can't find the answer for:[/quote]It doesn't appear that you put much effort into finding answers[quote]Dish:

1) The PrimeTime + 2 Streams recording. If one of the shows I want to make sure is recorded is in prime time, does it consume one of my two streams?[/quote]All prime time, big-four shows are recorded on the one tuner. If the program is not on the big-four, one of the other two tuners will be tapped.[quote]2) Is hopper smart enough to know that the show comes on again in two/three hours and isn't a repeat, and if there is a conflict at an earlier time to record teh later time?[/quote]As long as you don't tell the Hopper that you want to see new shows only.[quote]3) How many satellite dish are needed for a hopper + Joey[/quote]One.[quote]4) Is the satellite in the same general spot as the DirecTV Satellite ( MY home owners get whiney if you can see the dish, I have an exception for where the old satellite is. Would be nice if it doesn't point say 180 in the opposite direction or on other side of house.[/quote]All satellites reside over the Equator so you're never going to be pointing North. DISH has two configurations that are on either side of the DIRECTV contellation.[quote]5) What cable type is used to feed the box and how many.[/quote]RG6 with standard shielding, one cable per STB.[quote]What are the ethernet ports used for[/quote]TCP/IP networking (or Joey connection absent a coax).[quote]6) Pretty clear that if I want any Disney property in HD it's a non-starter with this provider, is that still true/has a resolution been reached or is the multi-year saga still ongoing?[/quote]Ongoing.[quote]7) Is there anything I can't do from the Joey?[/quote]PIP.[quote]DirecTV:

1) Is their DVR still limited to 50 season passes?[/quote]The Genie supports 100[quote]2) Are all shows HD if it's recording more than two at a time?[/quote]All five can be HD as the advertising makes abundantly clear.[quote]3) How many satellite dish are needed for Genie + Two Mobile TVs[/quote]One. The Genie itself does NOT support "mobile" TVs but using the Genie Client, it can support up to three other TVs at once.[quote]4) What cabling is used to feed the DVR box and how many.[/quote]One RG6 cable for each box.[quote] What are the ethernet ports used for[/quote]Connection of the Genie to the Internet.[quote]5) Is there anything I can't do from the remote box?[/QUOTE]PIP.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

A non-answer.

DIRECTV offers MSG to out-of-market subscribers through the $12.99 Sports Pack (unless blacked out for sometimes mysterious reasons). Another alternative would be the $99 NBA League Pass that could also be subject to inexplicable blackout.

DISH claims to offer the Knicks only to in-market viewers through the NBA League Pass package. It seems like it should be the other way around.

My answer was perfectly fine. Dish Network refuses to carry any RSN's for the largest DMA in the country, while DirecTV carries all of them.
DTV = Digital Television

#63 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

That is why if sports is your top reason you go with directv. There is nothing that dish has that I do not. I use to be a DISH customer but saw the light and wow it is great.

#64 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,688 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

There is nothing that dish has that I do not.

You have Pac-12 Network?

No provider has every channel.

#65 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,075 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

You have Pac-12 Network?

Wow great channel.:lol:

DIRECTV :Since 5/13/2012
HR34-700 / HR24-500 / HR23-700 / H25-100 / D12-200 /   Roku HD

Living Room       Master bedroom     Bedroom  2         Bedroom 3    Office/Bedroom 4      bedroom 5
Slimline 5  / SWiM 16 with CCK / MRV / 15/2 Mbps Blue ridge cable Internet
Premier / MLB EI /  HD Extra /  Protection Plan

#66 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

You have Pac-12 Network?

OK PAC 12 just like longhorn if I can see the games on other channels then no I am not missing anything. Now dish you miss every nfl game and here in a few weeks I'll be watching 4 plus channels for the masters and you will be stuck with tiger all day.I switched from dish because they suck when it comes to sports.

#67 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,220 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

While D* does a bang up job with sports, you don't miss 'every NFL game' with Dish either.

And no, Dish doesn't suck for sports they just aren't in love with them! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#68 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

While D* does a bang up job with sports, you don't miss 'every NFL game' with Dish either.

And no, Dish doesn't suck for sports they just aren't in love with them! :)

Fine if you like your local NFL team that's great but I live in Atlanta and do not what so ever like them. Just like I need NHLCI and MLBEI to watch my saint Louis teams.

#69 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,688 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Your claim was not that DirecTV is not better than DISH it was, as quoted:

There is nothing that dish has that I do not.

I can give other examples, but since you mentioned sports that seemed to be the best one. You, as many have done before, can try to minimalise the content that you do not have ... but the fact remains. No provider has every channel. Even well respected DirecTV employees will tell you that. :)

#70 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

Your claim was not that DirecTV is not better than DISH it was, as quoted:I can give other examples, but since you mentioned sports that seemed to be the best one. You, as many have done before, can try to minimalise the content that you do not have ... but the fact remains. No provider has every channel. Even well respected DirecTV employees will tell you that. :)

True, no provider has them all. DirecTV does however have more than Dish...while also delivering superior picture quality.
DTV = Digital Television

#71 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

Your claim was not that DirecTV is not better than DISH it was, as quoted:I can give other examples, but since you mentioned sports that seemed to be the best one. You, as many have done before, can try to minimalise the content that you do not have ... but the fact remains. No provider has every channel. Even well respected DirecTV employees will tell you that. :)

I give you sports an all dish people say we have more programs well name 1 that I can not see that is in the top 250. From ncis to house hunters, wwe just give me one show that EVERYONE wants to watch. As I tell everyone if you want sports then DirecTV is the only way to go. But if you dont care about sports then heck you can go with anyone . oh and last time I checked dish was top 5 for worst company's to work for.

Edited by donalddickerson2005, 06 February 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#72 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

True, no provider has them all. DirecTV does however have more than Dish...while also delivering superior picture quality.

Wait just a minute I remember 1 station we do not get and my parents that have dish do and that is the earth channel 24-7-365 of nothing but looking at the earth.

I might just think about switching back. NOT

#73 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,688 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Wait just a minute I remember 1 station we do not get and my parents that have dish do and that is the earth channel 24-7-365 of nothing but looking at the earth.

Unfortunately the EARTH channel ended on October 31st, 2012. The camera was available under an experimental license. It was interesting to see the world from a different perspective.

#74 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Unfortunately the EARTH channel ended on October 31st, 2012. The camera was available under an experimental license. It was interesting to see the world from a different perspective.

Well then never mind.
The thing that gets to me is the football player not going to be named by me is saying how good xfinity is but all they got is red zone.

#75 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,688 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

The thing that gets to me is the football player not going to be named by me is saying how good xfinity is but all they got is red zone.

Perhaps he is one of the people who don't want to watch every game. RedZone is a nice way to see what is going on in all games around the country without spending hundreds of dollars. Perhaps the unnamed football player can afford hundreds of dollars ... many people can't. Perhaps he really doesn't want to watch the boring parts of the game and just wants to see every score.

RedZone for a few dollars per month fills a need.

#76 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

Perhaps he is one of the people who don't want to watch every game. RedZone is a nice way to see what is going on in all games around the country without spending hundreds of dollars. Perhaps the unnamed football player can afford hundreds of dollars ... many people can't. Perhaps he really doesn't want to watch the boring parts of the game and just wants to see every score.

RedZone for a few dollars per month fills a need.

This is a current player for the bears. Red zone is fine if all you want is the TDs but for me I want to see more than that.

#77 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,688 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

This is a current player for the bears. Red zone is fine if all you want is the TDs but for me I want to see more than that.

Personal preferences are acceptable. But I would like to remind you of the annual threads in the DirecTV forums where even DirecTV customers express a preference for getting JUST the RedZone channel without Sunday Ticket.

You are not alone in your preference, but neither are the people who would be happy with just a RedZone channel.

#78 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Personal preferences are acceptable. But I would like to remind you of the annual threads in the DirecTV forums where even DirecTV customers express a preference for getting JUST the RedZone channel without Sunday Ticket.

You are not alone in your preference, but neither are the people who would be happy with just a RedZone channel.

The original and better version of it however.
DTV = Digital Television

#79 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

I do think that DirecTV should offer just the red zone channel without needing the whole NFL package. If they did that they would get millions more customers.

#80 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,688 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

The original and better version of it however.

For $9 per month (including other channels such as Pac-12 Network) it isn't a bad deal. They show the same games. How much does RedZone cost on DirecTV?

spam firewall