Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Vs DirecTv

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

The thing that gets to me is the football player not going to be named by me is saying how good xfinity is but all they got is red zone.

RZC is all I need and I get it from TWC. I prefer to watch every game rather than one specific game and it's a fraction of the cost of ST.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

RZC is all I need and I get it from TWC. I prefer to watch every game rather than one specific game and it's a fraction of the cost of ST.

For some people that is fine. But for a person like me that likes just 2-3 teams I don't care about what the other teams are doing at the moment.
I hope DirecTV would do a red zone only deal for people like you.

#83 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

The original and better version of it however.

*facepalm*

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#84 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

*facepalm*

It's true.
DTV = Digital Television

#85 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Original, yes. Better? Depends on how you look at it. I think D*'s RZC sucks, price-wise but rocks interactive-wise.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#86 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Original, yes. Better? Depends on how you look at it. I think D*'s RZC sucks, price-wise but rocks interactive-wise.

It also has the better host and usually functions better.
DTV = Digital Television

#87 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Having experienced both, I do concur with Hoosier205. The DirecTV version of RZC is superior, both in host and presentation. Not enough that to make me switch back, but enough that it was evident to me.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#88 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

I'd love to see the NHL someday do this with 1 channel. Say make it the power-play station. Where they show shootouts then OT then under 2 minutes within a goal and finally power plays. I know we are talking about NFL but I just wanted to make a quick point.

#89 OFFLINE   MattScahum

MattScahum

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

I almost hate to ressurect a month old thread, but I have to say this. Can the everything D* does is.excellent and.E* sucks and vice versa please stop? I work for D* and have worked.at E* so I.feel qualified to speak here. Is hd technically better on D*? Yes. Is it noticeable to 99% of people? No. D does have more sports and movies, but E has.some quality options there that D does not. D has more HD, but it isnt quantity so.much as what do you want in hd. E destroys D in international programming, savung recordings to a back up hard.drive.and stb response time. Lparsons has had both as he just went back to E and he will most likely agree with what I have said. If you work for.D or.E and.cant recognize your employer isnt the.perfect.provider you are.delusional. That is all.
Even though I am an employee, my thoughts/comments/ideas are mine and not affiliated whatsoever with Directv as a company/employer/etc.

~TV Setup~

Panasonic 42PZ80U
Onkyo TXSR606
Xbox 360 250gb Slim
Samsung BDP-1500 Blu Ray
DirecTV HR24-500 HD DVR
Monster Power 1600
Harmony One remote

#90 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

Matt, from my perspective and my viewing choices, I see D* and E* as two sides of the same coin. I've said many times that one is not a clear choice over the other.

If I were an ardent sports fan I would be with D* regardless of other considerations. But I'm not, so I can and do switch when I feel it is in my financial best interest.

Right now I both love and hate the Hopper. It does so many things well and does them all very quickly. But someone found a bargain bin of icons and used them in places a list would be much better. I find them irritating.

Here's a funny story.

When I had switched to Dish a few years back, I got weekly emails from D* to 'come back'. So I finally did, yet those same emails kept right on coming as well as a few direct mails for the same thing. They never stopped even while I had already 'came back'. Now that I've switched back to E*, I now get 2 emails a week! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#91 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

savings on new customer discounts(or returning customers) is not a bad thing, But if it doesn't have what you want then why bother, That's why is always better to research the channel line up or monthly fees online (or a phone call) before you decide to switch, Don't let commercials or flyers ads decide for you. And if you read the ads ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINT on the bottom. Me I personally think they're both the same channel wise, everything else is up to you to decide.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#92 OFFLINE   RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

Because I'm looking at a potential savings of $30 per month for the first year ($10 per month after that), I'm thinking of switching back to Dish after a few years with DirecTV. If I remember correctly, channel switching is much faster with Dish and it also has the picture-in-picture feather that DirecTV doesn't have. It does seem that the Hopper has much more DVR storage space, as well.

#93 OFFLINE   RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

One Dish question: I see that the Regional Sports Networks I'd be getting are listed as "part-time HD." What does that mean exactly. Live games in HD and otherwise not?

#94 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

Because I'm looking at a potential savings of $30 per month for the first year ($10 per month after that), I'm thinking of switching back to Dish after a few years with DirecTV. If I remember correctly, channel switching is much faster with Dish and it also has the picture-in-picture feather that DirecTV doesn't have. It does seem that the Hopper has much more DVR storage space, as well.

The HR34/HR44 Genie receivers do have PIP in them.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#95 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

If Dish does part time HD RSN like DirecTV does, then that's basically it. My RSN, I get HD for things like Reds games, but at other times the HD channel is offline and only the SD channel is available.

#96 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

You can look at http://www.mydish.com/gamefinder/ and type in your zip code.  The grid will list which games are available in HD.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#97 OFFLINE   RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

So only the games with an X on the HD column are in HD?

#98 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

Yes, just the games with an X in the HD column are in HD.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#99 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

Can't say I agree the assessments of this "new" (I assume) satellite TV comparison group  ...

http://www.rapidtvne...e-rankings.html

http://www.bestsatel...e-tv-providers/

But admit as a DIRECTV sub since '95, I'm a bit biased. :)  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#100 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

Well in fairness, they did say something about 'slight'...   :)

Here's an interesting quote which is true, but somewhat clouds the 'savings':

DISH is a less expensive alternative to DIRECTV. On average a satellite TV subscriber can save anywhere from $60 to $120 per year by selecting DISH satellite TV service when compared to a similar plan on DIRECTV.

IOW, $5 to $10/month which is pretty much in line with what everyone already knows, and most think about the monthly cost, not the annual.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...