Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21 200 Keeps trying to download data

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

That was the new one.
There is one rolling out now that posters are saying it is better, 0x62c is the version number.
I am still running 0x5d2.

That's the good thing about living on the East Coast, we get the downloads last, as a rule, and they make fixes as the NR travels from west to east.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,714 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

I've never read the manual. When I got my first 20-700s in late '06, I think the manuals were copies stapled together and were no help at all. Then, I found this forum and never had a reason to look at a manual again.

I do know we were warned by a Mod about using the red button. Was a man I had come to trust and I took that warning to heart and have very rarely used the red button for anything.

If that manual is the basis for the scripts the CSRs use, I wouldn't trust it at all.

When I do a restart it's usually from the Menu.

Rich

I posted to use the Menu reset in my post and said it is basically the same as the RBR.

I noted when I came from the DirecTV forum that the Menu Reset was the preferred method to tell people to use. Seems reasonable since you do a shut down / restart of a PC and these are basically a PC with a different purpose.
Over on the DTV forum they reccomed the RBR exclusively.
They say they had too many people that chose the wrong Menu Reset and erased all of their setting and even some that erased their recordings.

From the manual:

The Reset screen lets you restart the receiver, reset to factory
defaults, or reset everything.
“Restart Receiver” is the same function as pressing the red
reset button behind the access card door on the front of the
receiver. This option does not affect your settings and scheduled
autotunes.
“Reset Defaults” erases all of your personal preference items,
such as parental controls, favorites, language and scheduled
autotunes, and restores the receiver configuration to how it was
set at the factory.
“Reset Everything” Completely erases everything from system
memory and starts over like a new receiver, starting over with
Guided Setup.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

I posted to use the Menu reset in my post and said it is basically the same as the RBR.

I noted when I came from the DirecTV forum that the Menu Reset was the preferred method to tell people to use. Seems reasonable since you do a shut down / restart of a PC and these are basically a PC with a different purpose.
Over on the DTV forum they reccomed the RBR exclusively.
They say they had too many people that chose the wrong Menu Reset and erased all of their setting and even some that erased their recordings.

From the manual:

The Reset screen lets you restart the receiver, reset to factory
defaults, or reset everything.
“Restart Receiver” is the same function as pressing the red
reset button behind the access card door on the front of the
receiver.
This option does not affect your settings and scheduled
autotunes.
“Reset Defaults” erases all of your personal preference items,
such as parental controls, favorites, language and scheduled
autotunes, and restores the receiver configuration to how it was
set at the factory.
“Reset Everything” Completely erases everything from system
memory and starts over like a new receiver, starting over with
Guided Setup.

That's the part I don't agree with. The D* forum and this forum shouldn't be compared, I think.

Rich

#24 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

Pressing the red button is like pressing the reset button on a PC...it forces a reboot with out shutting ANYTHING down - this is only slightly better than pulling the power cord.

A menu reset takes several seconds to execute because it does an orderly shutdown (i.e. it stops writing to the hard drive before executing the system reset).

Nine times out of ten, a RBR will be fine. But every once in a while you'll end up with a corrupted hard drive (it has happened to me). Sometimes, a RBR is your only option, but if possible, a menu reset is always safer.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#25 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Pressing the red button is like pressing the reset button on a PC...it forces a reboot with out shutting ANYTHING down - this is only slightly better than pulling the power cord.

A menu reset takes several seconds to execute because it does an orderly shutdown (i.e. it stops writing to the hard drive before executing the system reset).

Nine times out of ten, a RBR will be fine. But every once in a while you'll end up with a corrupted hard drive (it has happened to me). Sometimes, a RBR is your only option, but if possible, a menu reset is always safer.

Thanx, I couldn't remember what the difference was, I just knew there was a difference.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...