Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pushing the old D*Tivo off the service cliff?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aziz

aziz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

Folks:

I have noticed frequent reboots on my old D*Tivos and comments at the Tivo Community forums. I did remember seeing something about this December is somewhat the End-Of-Life for the old DVRs. Time to talk turkey? What do you all think?:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Gofastr

Gofastr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

My wife is ready to smash our TiVo with a hammer.
Hr 10-250 has been rebooting now a dozen times per day!
Were moving by mid December and can't wait till we can get the new Genie setup.

#3 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

My wife is ready to smash our TiVo with a hammer.
Hr 10-250 has been rebooting now a dozen times per day!
Were moving by mid December and can't wait till we can get the new Genie setup.

Sounds like my wife. That box is on in the bedroom while we're getting dressed in the morning; I was downstairs feeding the dog when I heard a strangled scream from upstairs. By time I got to the foot of the stairs, she had stuck her head around the corner and was fussing at me, like it's MY fault!
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#4 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

No EOL for the DTiVos has been announced. What's happening now is, as best as I can tell, a failure of DirecTV to test guide data changes thoroughly.

Steve

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,501 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

No EOL for the DTiVos has been announced. What's happening now is, as best as I can tell, a failure of DirecTV to test guide data changes thoroughly.

Agreed. It's not any sort of conspiracy.

I just posted this update in the big thread ....
Just heard from my DirecTV contacts and the problem has hopefully been fixed. Tivo engineers made some tweaks to the Advance Program Guide (APG) stream, so no software update is required. Note that you may experience one more reset until the new APG data fully downloads to your Tivo. Keeping my fingers crossed!

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

Is there a recognized method to purge the guide?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   aziz

aziz

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

After the incessant reboots of my systems, I contacted the Tech Support today. She said that D* is aware of the problem. However, she cannot give me any information regarding an estimation for when the issue can be resolved. However, she was quick to propose a DEAL. I can get a Genie with a client receiver to replace my one (1) DirecTivo and an SD receiver. But I cannot get my other DirecTivo to be replaced. I think she was insinuating that I have to shell out some cash to replace that DVR with a client, receiver, or DVR. Now, my question is what does the Protection Plan should cover?:confused:

#8 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,501 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

After the incessant reboots of my systems, I contacted the Tech Support today. She said that D* is aware of the problem. However, she cannot give me any information regarding an estimation for when the issue can be resolved. However, she was quick to propose a DEAL. I can get a Genie with a client receiver to replace my one (1) DirecTivo and an SD receiver. But I cannot get my other DirecTivo to be replaced. I think she was insinuating that I have to shell out some cash to replace that DVR with a client, receiver, or DVR. Now, my question is what does the Protection Plan should cover?:confused:

I doubt you'll get a free Genie system, but you can try asking. The protection plan only provides with an "equivalent" replacement Receiver/DVR, not any sort of upgraded equipment.

By the way, the rebooting problem should be fixed now.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

But keep in mind, he's in Texas so the PP provides upgrades. Might help, but you're supposed to have it for a year.

http://www.directv.c...PP_TX_TERMS.pdf

spam firewall