Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What Can I Replace my Series 2 DVR With ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   billsnj

billsnj

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hi ! Need some help -
I'm presently experiencing the Directv problem of random reboots (no longer random) that began 2 weeks ago. (YES Diretv is working on the problem, so they say) Anyway both my Series 2 TIVO DVR's are rebooting every 1/2 hour . And this will continue until the Directv engineers find a fix! I'm not holding my breath - 2 years ago it took the 6 weeks to fix a similar problem.

Question - I would like to know what is the next unit that I can install to replace the Series 2 TIVO's.
NOTE: I have a SD TV and do not want HD!!! I have a 18" round Dish. I cannot install the latest dish as I cannot see the additional satellite. TREES are blocking - this has been confirmed by Directv.
I really like the functions of TIVO - I have 2 DVR and record many shows - just love to ski those commercials!
So - what can I goto next -- willing to purchase !

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

There is nothing in the Directv tivo world unless you go HD.....

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,792 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

If you want to stay with the Tivo brand/technology specifically, you would probably have to go to non-DirecTV separate unit. For that, check www.tivocommunity.com for information on Tivo in general.

If you want the combined functionality of DirecTV and recording, then the standard definition DVR (which will work just fine on the 18" dish) is the R16. While that is a decent unit, it is a significant, perhaps radical, change from the Tivo "look and feel", and will take you some time to get used to. Once you do get used to it, it will be just fine.

As to HD, the satellites you need to see are the 99 and 103 (in addition to the 101). In almost every situation it is possible to see those satellites. It is possible your previous checks were with regard to the 110 satellite (used for HD for a few years), which is no longer used for customer programming by DirecTV. The HD series of DVRs, especially the latest 5-tuner models ("Genie"), are significant upgrades in performance and capability over the SD products.

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

I second that you need a second opinion as to line of sight. As mentioned the HD sats are at 99 and 103 and I find it hard to believe you can get 101 without the other 2 which are only 2 degrees on either side of 101. Then if you must keep the Tivo experience you need to go with the HD Tivo.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

....and FYI the rebooting problem on the SD TiVos is apparently now fixed....

#6 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hi ! Need some help -
I'm presently experiencing the Directv problem of random reboots (no longer random) that began 2 weeks ago. (YES Diretv is working on the problem, so they say) Anyway both my Series 2 TIVO DVR's are rebooting every 1/2 hour . And this will continue until the Directv engineers find a fix! I'm not holding my breath - 2 years ago it took the 6 weeks to fix a similar problem.

Question - I would like to know what is the next unit that I can install to replace the Series 2 TIVO's.
NOTE: I have a SD TV and do not want HD!!! I have a 18" round Dish. I cannot install the latest dish as I cannot see the additional satellite. TREES are blocking - this has been confirmed by Directv.
I really like the functions of TIVO - I have 2 DVR and record many shows - just love to ski those commercials!
So - what can I goto next -- willing to purchase !

:confused: Why ??? Can't imagine anyone who wouldn't want HD!
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,320 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

:confused: Why ??? Can't imagine anyone who wouldn't want HD!

Ditto, on this day any age I can't see to comprehend why someone would not want to get on the HD bandwagon. Also add to this that most stations are abandoning SD support for their networks

#8 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

HD DVRs work just fine when set to 18" round, just because the box is HD doesnt mean you NEED hd service.

Campers do it all the time with auto aim dishes
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#9 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

Ditto, on this day any age I can't see to comprehend why someone would not want to get on the HD bandwagon. Also add to this that most stations are abandoning SD support for their networks

I DO have HD, but do watch and can watch SD just fine. I will say HD content on a SD TV looks great compared to SD. But I beg to disagree that networks are abandoning their support for SD. I talked to a DirecTV Installer who told me last week that he still has NEW customers getting SD only 18" round installs. So some people prefer SD. There are so many people using SD it will be a long while til SD is buried.

I have 2 HD DVRs . HR21 and HR24 as well as 2 HD enabled R22s. So 4 receivers total. 1 is connected to an HDTV the rest are all SDTVs. They work fine.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

spam firewall