Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How long can I waite to ativate new receiver

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bflora

bflora

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

I ordered a new dvr to replace a hr10 that was constantly rebooting. It now appears it was a d* problem with D*Tivos and that I probably don't need the new dvr. I can return it but would have to pay shipping cost and I really wouldn't mind keeping the new dvr for later use since I have several older receivers. Is there any time limit on how long I can keep a new dvr without activating it?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

I believe it is supposed to be activated within 30 days. I do not know what happens if you don't, or whether or not you would be able to activate it in the future.

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

I believe it is supposed to be activated within 30 days. I do not know what happens if you don't, or whether or not you would be able to activate it in the future.

There's a non activation fee.

OP you won't pay D&H you can either refuse the shipment or call DIRECTV and they can send you a label.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

The replacement receiver MUST be used to replace the receiver in question, failure to do so, will result in charges to your account.

#5 OFFLINE   bflora

bflora

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

I ordered the new receiver from an online retailer. They have returns on receivers for 14 days as long as it's not activated and in original packaging. I would have to pay shipping.

#6 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

You should keep the newer DVR.
You are loosing a lot of available programming with that HR10. It only can decode MPG2 transmissions. Not, the newest MPG4 HD programming.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#7 OFFLINE   Steveb_77

Steveb_77

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

The replacement receiver MUST be used to replace the receiver in question, failure to do so, will result in charges to your account.

Yep, $150 is a lot of cash to pay for non-activation!

#8 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

Yep, $150 is a lot of cash to pay for non-activation!

This fee is Directv reserving the right to charge you if you fail to activate a receiver.

I really think the non-activation fees are like unicorns... I have heard of them, but never actually seen them.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...