Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Just got a SWIM installed - have some questions about moving DVRs around

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Apologies if this is answered in an existing thread - my searches didn't find them.

I just had a nice installer come out. He installed an HR-34 in an upstairs room previously devoid of DirecTV service. Downstairs, I have 3 HR-2x DVRs (all in the same room). He did whatever was needed to get everything working with a single wire (SWIM, right?). But he mentioned that he configured things so that the downstairs area supports a max of 6 tuners, and upstairs supports 5 tuners. I didn't think much of it, but now that I'm thinking more, what would be involved in being able to move an HR-2x upstairs, which would be 7 tuners? Is that something I could adjust, in other words?
Brett

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,337 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

I'm not understanding what he was talking about. Based on that, you got a SWM-16 which supports 8 tuners on each side of the SWM-16. The way he talked, you are maxed out, which you're not.

#3 OFFLINE   BrettStah

BrettStah

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

I'm not understanding what he was talking about. Based on that, you got a SWM-16 which supports 8 tuners on each side of the SWM-16. The way he talked, you are maxed out, which you're not.

Yeah, it didn't make tons of sense but given that I'm not really up to speed on SWM I just nodded politely. I'll just try it out tomorrow and see what happens...
Brett

#4 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,802 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

What I think he meant is the SWM splitter line going upstairs is on one side of the SWM16 and 5 tuners is assigned.

Downstairs runs off the other side and has 6 tuners assigned (3HRs x 2).

Each side of the SWM16 can handle a max of 8.

What that means is you can't swap an HR2x for a HR34 in your home or you end up with only 2 tuners upstairs but 9 downstairs. The 9 is 1 tuner too many on that side of the SWM.

But if all you did is move one HR2x upstairs, the max would be 7 and that's OK.

#5 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

The installer likely only connected the rooms that have receivers in them. The other coax jacks in your home shouldn't be hot.

To move a receiver, you would need to disconect the cable heading to the room your moving the DVR from and connect the room you're moving it to.

Be careful to keep the power inserter (the grey box with a light and 2 coax jacks on the bottom) in the room it is currently hooked up in.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

I am with NR4P on this. When moving receivers around you have to keep in mind the SWM rule of 8, where no more than 8 tuners can be connected on to either of the two swm outputs of the switch.

spam firewall