Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Charlie sent letters about price increase....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 11:41 AM

Got 2 of them(2 accounts). Explained the increase amounts on the packages I have. PPV movie coupon(s) also. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 12:32 PM

How many PPV coupons?

#3 OFFLINE   JBKing

JBKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 12:39 PM

Did the letter include any clipart of pigs? :D

#4 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 12:40 PM

How many PPV coupons?

Well, each letter said one, but the machine must have had a spasm as there was 2 in one of the envelopes and one in the other. :lol: :money:

#5 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 12:46 PM

PPV coupon...COOL ;)
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#6 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 12:50 PM

Did the letter include any clipart of pigs? :D

No, but there was a Value Paks brochure with 101 local markets listed on the back. :)

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 02:43 PM

That's a better letter than I got from DISH two days ago. I got a notification from DISH that my locals were available in Sherman/ADA. The letter notified me I could receive CH 10,12 from my DMA and FOX 4 and ABC 8 from Dallas with no mention of qualifying for Dallas. I was already subscribing to 10,12 but couldn't qualify for Dallas for me the kicker was the letter was signed by Soraya Cartwright Executive Vice Pres. who is no longer with DISH Network.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,895 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 03:45 PM

the letter was signed by Soraya Cartwright Executive Vice Pres. who is no longer with DISH Network.

That would be an interesting title ...
Wonder if she has business cards? :lol:

That is the trouble with coding employees into the system. One does not expect to lose an exec-VP, but one does have to plan for it.

JL

#9 OFFLINE   sampatterson

sampatterson

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 03:53 PM

Yep, I got the letter also, telling me that my Everything pack was going up $3, and my Dish Latino was going up $3.00. So how does one use the PPV coupon with Credit Card Autopay... duh!!!! I want the "free PPV coupon autocredit".

A nearly 6% rate increase, oink oink satellite. Shame on you charlie. I have had to feed the satellite pig the last two years in a row. ;)

$6 bucks

#10 OFFLINE   cpdretired

cpdretired

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 04:21 PM

Yep, I got the letter also, telling me that my Everything pack was going up $3, and my Dish Latino was going up $3.00. So how does one use the PPV coupon with Credit Card Autopay... duh!!!! I want the "free PPV coupon autocredit".

A nearly 6% rate increase, oink oink satellite. Shame on you charlie. I have had to feed the satellite pig the last two years in a row. ;)

$6 bucks

For auto pay you fill in the name of the movie that you bought. Also your personal info. and account number. The coupon is mailed to the address printed on the coupon. They will deduct $3.99 from your next auto pay.

#11 OFFLINE   Inaba

Inaba

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 04:46 PM

Does that affect the AT50 package as well? What if you signed up for a year service at a certain price... do they increase it? If so, that would seem to invalidate the contract you signed and you can stop service all together, yes?

#12 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 05:22 PM

Each letter is personalized. It only has info about your specific packages. Check yours when it comes.

AT 50 does have a no price increase in effect until 2005.

#13 OFFLINE   bar1203

bar1203

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 09:24 PM

Does that affect the AT50 package as well? What if you signed up for a year service at a certain price... do they increase it? If so, that would seem to invalidate the contract you signed and you can stop service all together, yes?

the at 50/60 will have no increase. also, if you pay annually you are locked into that price until its time to renew.

#14 OFFLINE   JimO

JimO

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 01:42 AM

Chucky used the waiver of the PVR on the everything package for justifying the $3:00 increase when most other packages only bumped a buck. First they talk you into the everything package along with auto pay to avoid the PRV fee then they take back 60% of the savings. Shame on you Chucky, your getting greedy with your highest paying customers...

#15 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 05:41 AM

What with Turner and Viacom apparently wanting substantial increases either by more money and/or new channels being placed in AT50/60, Charlie probably should raise the price of AT50/60 but he can't because of the freeze. So, us higher package users get what may be a bit more of an increase than expected.

I have no doubt that programming costs are increasing.

#16 OFFLINE   Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 08:47 AM

Do the coupons cover HD-PPV? I will never spent a penny on SD PPV.

#17 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 08:53 AM

Do the coupons cover HD-PPV? I will never spent a penny on SD PPV.

I would call and ask, the coupon doesn't say anything about using it for HD-PPV. I would think it would work, the coupon value is $3.99, you would have to pay the difference.
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#18 OFFLINE   DISHjanitor

DISHjanitor

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 10:59 PM

I also got the letter, already threw it out, but he (Charlie) said there would be a $3.00 increase to $25 to my DISH Latino package, then "bragged" about adding several channels in the past year. Then he said they're going to add a HITN channel (like i care) plus other new channels by February. Don't mind the $3.00 increase, so long as that new channel added by February is ESPN Deportes.

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,895 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 01:10 AM

I also got the letter, already threw it out, but he (Charlie) said there would be a $3.00 increase to $25 to my DISH Latino package, then "bragged" about adding several channels in the past year. Then he said they're going to add a HITN channel (like i care) plus other new channels by February. Don't mind the $3.00 increase, so long as that new channel added by February is ESPN Deportes.

It's a shame your letter is gone. It may have explained the channels recently appearing in the upper 800's. BTW: Most get HITN for free on 9401.

JL

#20 OFFLINE   wcswett

wcswett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 02:06 PM

I would call and ask, the coupon doesn't say anything about using it for HD-PPV. I would think it would work, the coupon value is $3.99, you would have to pay the difference.

Here's what the coupon says:

"FREE PAY-PER-VIEW MOVIE COUPON
Pay to the order of DISH Network THREE DOLLARS and 99/100 CENTS

Courtesy of DISH Network™, this movie coupon entitles you to a $3.99 DISH On Demand™ Pay-Per-View movie for FREE! Go to Channels 502-539 on your on-screen guide to find the best Hollywood movies available for the first time on TV. Watch Channel 500 for movie previews.

You may redeem this coupon, worth $3.99, when a Pay-Per-View movie purchase appears on your customer statement. Simply read and follow the instructions on the back of this coupon.

Order DISH On Demand™ Pay-Per-View tonight!
Coupon must be redeemed by 5/31/04."

I interpret this coupon to mean that you get a free $3.99 PPV movie and nothing else. I gave mine to my sister, who still watches SD channels and occasionally orders PPV movies.

--- WCS
DISH RECEIVERS: 622(x2), 510, 211(x2)
PROGRAMMING: DISH HD Platinum, Atlanta locals
ANTENNAS: 61.5, 110, 119, 129

Protected By... spam firewall...And...