Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Grounding and cable entry.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,761 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Late last night I was getting an error communicating with the dish. Tracing back I found the ground block outside was severely corroded, despite having weather boots on them. Because of this, the moisture wicked into the coax and the stinger was green, cracked and one cable it broke right off. I cut the ends off and put new PPC EX10 fittings on them and put a temporary 3 GHz barrel in place. Systems working great and signals are excellent.

The old ground block is still screwed into the side of the house cinder block, and the messenger wire from the SAT coax is still connected to it, as well as the green grounding wire. So it's grounded in that sense, just not tied into the coax shield since its on a separate barrel.

Realizing it should be a ground block and also trying to prevent this from happening in the future, can I locate this GB in the same plastic cable guard enclosure on the side of my house where my CATV terminates? Can I ground them to the same point with a dual ground block? Or should the DirecTV ground block be completely separate and in its own enclosure? I noticed Perfect Vision has a $4.99 enclosure, but if I can just put the Sat and CATV in the same enclosure that would be neater. I already have a telco enclosure so one less box is nice, but I also want to do it right. The CATV enclosure has 2 RG-11's in it (one terminated and one spare).

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,769 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

if you're using same wire to your house grounding rod, then I don't see any problem to move sat GB inside weather proof box

#3 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,761 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Temp barrel and old fitting shown and existing ground block
image-2715985981.jpg

Existing double ground block in CATV box
image-3383876968.jpg

Can I use the existing ground block in my CATV box? It's a double and only one is used for CATV Internet / phone / clear qam. That keeps it out of the weather and there's enough slack to do it. Then I wouldn't have to buy anything.

The only concern I have is the CATV double ground block is not a blue barrel. Not sure if that makes a difference but CATV levels through it are great to 860 MHz at least.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,864 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

That should work just fine.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,769 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

Funny, you mentioned 680 MHz - doesn't matter for grounding; for shielding - yes

spam firewall