Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Software update - What's Hot

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Anyone know how the "What's Hot" shows are determined? Just got a software update last night, not much different, except I think the Rentals folder not working got fixed. I assume the What's Hot are most popular by number of people viewing?

I haven't had a chance to play with it, only obvious change is the RED list button. Any other "real" changes?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

I think they will collect your habits and then propose according; I would wait for a week .

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

What's Hot are certainly not shows I'm watching ... but a large number of DISH subscribers are watching those programs.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Bummer.

#5 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

It has two functions: Local and National. So far, local is sort of related to what the household watches (btw it see,s to be gathering the viewing habits of all Hoppers,) but I doubt that I'll be using it very often, unless I run out of things to watch (rare.)

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

It has two functions: Local and National. So far, local is sort of related to what the household watches (btw it see,s to be gathering the viewing habits of all Hoppers,) but I doubt that I'll be using it very often, unless I run out of things to watch (rare.)

Local contains shows that my household doesn't watch ... and has things such as our local news listed, so I suspect that it is by DMA. People around me are watching these programs. National would be all reporting receivers.

#7 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Local contains shows that my household doesn't watch ... and has things such as our local news listed, so I suspect that it is by DMA. People around me are watching these programs. National would be all reporting receivers.

Either that or it is stuff that is supposed to be related to what you watch. That's what it seems to be doing here anyway.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

Either that or it is stuff that is supposed to be related to what you watch. That's what it seems to be doing here anyway.

I'd call that feature "Recommended:" not "What's Hot:" ... especially with a tag of "Most Watched" on the first program. If it were related to my viewing, or my household's, Local vs National popularity would not be an issue.

It would be nice if the feature showed how hot (percentage) the top programs were.

#9 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

I mean Local may be like "What's recommended" while National is like "What's Hot."

#10 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

Oh, says it right on the screen.

Local says "View the most popular shows and movies based on what everyone else is watching in your local area."

National says "View the most popular shows and movies based on what everyone else is watching nationally."

Looks like you're right. Only looked at it for maybe 30 seconds myself.

#11 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Why would I care what anyone around me is watching?

Looks like Joeys now have auto hop. I don't think mine had that last week. That's a much better upgrade.

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,459 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Why wouldn't the Joeys have Auto Hop? As I understand it, that is a function of the recordings made on the Hopper during PTAT... so I would have thought the Joeys would always have AutoHop available for recordings that supported it.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

AutoHop on Joeys should have been there before.
I believe Pandora on a Joey is new ... or is my memory failing?

#14 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

All I get with "What's Hot" is "no info available". Not that I care.

#15 OFFLINE   JeffL

JeffL

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

I've already recorded two shows that looked interesting from the What's Hot feature. I like it! I don't always have time to look through the guide the way I should so I end up just watching things that I've recorded. So this is a cool feature I think to find things that are popular (hot).

#16 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Waste of internal memory on the Hopper.... IMO

YO DISH... how about spending coding dollars on fixing bugs and leave the "fluff" out.

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

spam firewall