Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv discounts?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   siciliansatman

siciliansatman

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Does anyone know of or can you list all of the different discounts that you know of that are out there with Directv? For example, the ones that I have heard of:
1. Get a $200 Costco cash card when you activate with them
2. Get a $150 Best Buy cash card when you activate with them
3. $5 off for 40 months for keeping account in good standing with Directv.
4. I've heard of people getting $20 off a month when complaining to Directv

It just bothers me that someone may be paying a lower price for the exact package that I may have from the same company. I would like the best possible discount that is available as well. Does anyone know of any other discounts or can you share what discount you may have on your bill?

Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Noresults

Noresults

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

I think Direct TV wants to screw us out of the most money it can. My contract is up in two days. They want to charge me $700. to upgrade to the Genie. Its free to new subscribers. Go figure.

Maybee you know or someone knows how long I need to go without Direct before they will give me a reasonable offer.

#3 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

I think Direct TV wants to screw us out of the most money it can. My contract is up in two days. They want to charge me $700. to upgrade to the Genie. Its free to new subscribers. Go figure.

Maybee you know or someone knows how long I need to go without Direct before they will give me a reasonable offer.

Call Dish and see what they'll offer you. Then call Directv and say "cancel" when prompted. When a rep comes on just tell them you are switching to Dish because of the Hopper. Just be really pleasant and tell them you like DIRECTV but the Hopper seems great. They'll likely offer some things that will make you happy.

Just don't be a jerk when you call. People tend to be less willing to help when you do that.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,495 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

The HR34 is $300. What's the other $400 for? It's not all accounted for in an upgrade to SWM. C31s, etc?

#5 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

Alot on here have done this. Just call and cancel, let them know your switching to Dish and the Hopper. The CSR will send you to the Retension Rep which is ther job to make you happy

#6 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

Alot on here have done this. Just call and cancel, let them know your switching to Dish and the Hopper. The CSR will send you to the Retension Rep which is ther job to make you happy

Or they just might take you at your word and send you to the cancelation department, they don;t fall for that much anymore, just be ready to do what you claim if they confront you

#7 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

Or they just might take you at your word and send you to the cancelation department, they don;t fall for that much anymore, just be ready to do what you claim if they confront you

How do you know "they don't fall for that much anymore"?

The retention department is paid to retain customers. They don't just cancel people without first trying to keep them.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#8 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

They don't 'fall' for anything! The job of the retention department is to see that you don't cancel. When I have made the switch between the 2 providers at different times, I have yet to have any of them tell me to just go ahead and cancel.

All of them, all of the time, made sales pitches to get me to stay. That is their job, not having you cancel.

If it gets to the point that they tell you to cancel, it will mean that the deal they offered wasn't good enough to keep you, or you weren't a very good customer to begin with.

Note that it isn't called the 'cancellation department'! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#9 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

They don't 'fall' for anything! The job of the retention department is to see that you don't cancel. When I have made the switch between the 2 providers at different times, I have yet to have any of them tell me to just go ahead and cancel.

All of them, all of the time, made sales pitches to get me to stay. That is their job, not having you cancel.

If it gets to the point that they tell you to cancel, it will mean that the deal they offered wasn't good enough to keep you, or you weren't a very good customer to begin with.

Note that it isn't called the 'cancellation department'! :)

You HIT THE NAIL on the HEAD ! Once your contract is up they will do anything to keep you ! Last year my cell phone contract was up. So I was thinking abot going to a prepaid plan ! Went to cancel my Sprint and they jumped thru hoops giving me a great deal cut my plan price in half and kept everything the same. And didnt have to sign up for 2 more years ! Companies retension centers are geared and have the power to do anything to keep you and the free money coming in ! With no contract !

#10 OFFLINE   Dmtalon

Dmtalon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

You HIT THE NAIL on the HEAD ! Once your contract is up they will do anything to keep you ! Last year my cell phone contract was up. So I was thinking abot going to a prepaid plan ! Went to cancel my Sprint and they jumped thru hoops giving me a great deal cut my plan price in half and kept everything the same. And didnt have to sign up for 2 more years ! Companies retension centers are geared and have the power to do anything to keep you and the free money coming in ! With no contract !

Not true.. 10 year DTV subscriber with 2 5yo HD DVR's and out of contract for 3 years. I tried to get a free Genie+Client. They couldn't/wouldn't do it. My Dish install is Monday. One Hopper and two Joeys + install free. And $25/mo off my bill for 12mo.

I talked to retention 4 times last week. Each time I got a different story/price to upgrade. Cheapest was $149 most expensive was $349. Since I wanted free and stuck to my guns I had to switch to get it. If these companies don't want to keep long time subscribers than so be it. I rent nearly every UFC fight so my bill is usually over $130/mo and I'm never late paying.

#11 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

Which brings up the point that all deals are not created equally! The fanbois and those that claim to work or have worked for one or the other provider will tell us it is all about your account. Well, that is utter hogwash! While what your account looks like to them is certainly part and parcel of the deal, so is your approach, the CSRs mood at the time, the Magic 8 ball can't be ignored either. :)

I'm still under contract, in the 2nd year, yet they gave me great discounts when I tried yet again to cancel Premier. And they had offered me a decent deal to get an HR34, but I took a pass on it.

Will they give me a great deal when I call them next time? Who knows, they either will or won't and I'll either stay or go. I'm not married to either service and frankly D* has been very good to me, but then so was Dish when I was with them.

Lloyd

#12 OFFLINE   Noresults

Noresults

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

I appoligize for not being clear. I have a swm with a 3 lnb slimline dish and I believe it is a swm8 switch. I have two HR-21 receivers.

Everything works fine I was mistaken in that I thought I could just swap out one of the HR-21 receivers for the Genei.

They want to charge m3 $300 for the reciver and an additional $400. for install etc.

Maybee they will upgrade me to another receiver as all I was trying to accomplish was giving me more HD space on one of the receivers.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

#13 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Call again and talk to retention. The deal you are quoting is really on the very high side for what you want. worst case, they won't budge. Best case, you'll get a little better deal, maybe even a great one.

Patience and perserverance are your friends! :)

Lloyd

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,495 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

I appoligize for not being clear. I have a swm with a 3 lnb slimline dish and I believe it is a swm8 switch. I have two HR-21 receivers.

Everything works fine I was mistaken in that I thought I could just swap out one of the HR-21 receivers for the Genei.

They want to charge m3 $300 for the reciver and an additional $400. for install etc.

Maybee they will upgrade me to another receiver as all I was trying to accomplish was giving me more HD space on one of the receivers.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

If you have two DVRs and will be getting rid of one, and already have SWM, you can get it (still lease) at SolidSignal, Dishbuys etc and save $400. If you will be at 8 tuners or less, it really is plug and play.

#15 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

I think it really depends on who you get... I know of someone (a family member) who is on there 2nd year of contract and was looking to add a receiver.. The last time they talked to Directv was when they called to start service. They called up to ask what they could offer and about how much it would cost... after about 20 mins they hung up and they ended up getting the HR-34 for $99:eek2:

I personally have called for issues once or twice over that years i have been with directv... Every time the issue was solved and i was happy but, i will say i have got a flat out No from one rep, hang up and call back and get a sure no problem from another... :lol:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#16 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

It just bothers me that someone may be paying a lower price for the exact package that I may have from the same company.

I hope you don't fly...you'd be pretty upset with the airlines.

#17 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

How many other discounts have you gotten in the last couple years? And do you have any going in right now? That may also have an affect.

#18 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

I think it really depends on who you get... I know of someone (a family member) who is on there 2nd year of contract and was looking to add a receiver.. The last time they talked to Directv was when they called to start service. They called up to ask what they could offer and about how much it would cost... after about 20 mins they hung up and they ended up getting the HR-34 for $99:eek2:

I personally have called for issues once or twice over that years i have been with directv... Every time the issue was solved and i was happy but, i will say i have got a flat out No from one rep, hang up and call back and get a sure no problem from another... :lol:

It always makes you wonder if you are really talking to a real Rep or a third party rep that is 400 lbs sitting at his home watching TV, scratching him self on the couch while you talk to him ! LOL

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#19 OFFLINE   Noresults

Noresults

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Well I just got off the phone with Direct. They say they will do the Genie for $349.00 no change in my programming costs.

This just does not seem reasonable but once I go to the bother to take out the Direct TV dish etc it will be hard for me to justify ever coming back.

The difference is Dish is willing to do it all for free with discounted programming for the fist year

Direct no discount 349.-- install.

$700.00 for a little hastle. Going to check with better half to make sure I am not missing some channel she would like then will give Direct one last shot.

Thanks for all your comments.

#20 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

The difference is Dish is willing to do it all for free with discounted programming for the fist year

Direct no discount 349.-- install.

Fast forward 2-3 years when Dish comes out with it's newest thing and wants to charge existing customers for it.

You can just switch the company names in your statement, and it will probably be just as true.

Hope the move works out well for you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...