Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv discounts?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Personally, i don't see what the big "hype" over the HR-34 is.... Other than it being RVU capable and the fact its new, the 2 HR-24's i now have pretty much are the same thing minus one tuner to record. I just dunno if not having the latest and greatest would be enough to cancel service for me.. :lol:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

That's what I finally decided. I want unified management of recordings, which is the sole reason I would have for needing an HR34 to replace the 2 HR24s that I have on my main TV. And while I still want that, I don't figure it is worth any actual money to get.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#23 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

That's what I finally decided. I want unified management of recordings, which is the sole reason I would have for needing an HR34 to replace the 2 HR24s that I have on my main TV. And while I still want that, I don't figure it is worth any actual money to get.

What makes it nice is... with a HR34 i would have the kids clogging up every bite of free space with cartoons (mainly every episode of spongebob aired in the universe:grin:) with 2 HR24's myself and the wife have ours upstairs to record are shows, never again to have them cleared because its full and the kids have theres downstairs to load all there junk.. when its full then it either delete stuff or nothing else...

Also, i don't use RVU clients nor do i ever plan to so spending $350 bucks on the newest DVR in our case is plain silly!

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#24 OFFLINE   camattin

camattin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

When my first 2 year contract was up, I started shopping around comparing what Dish could offer compared to my current DTV setup. The biggest reason I was looking is I needed to add an additional HD receiver and swap out a SD receiver for a HD receiver. The end result is a total of 5 receivers. With this number of receivers neither the Hopper nor the Genie seemed to fit the bill.

While I probably could have "fought" for a better deal from DTV, I settled on 2 HR25s for an OOP cost of $198 and an additional programming discount of $10 for 12 months. This solved my needs and I didn't have to switch [that would have been a pain with all of the movies & shows that we have backlogged on the HR24s].

I think both my "free HD for 24 months" and this new $10/mo discount will expire about the same time, so I'll plan on another call in about 11 months. :)

#25 OFFLINE   Dmtalon

Dmtalon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Fast forward 2-3 years when Dish comes out with it's newest thing and wants to charge existing customers for it.

You can just switch the company names in your statement, and it will probably be just as true.

Hope the move works out well for you.

I'm sure nobody posting here is under any illusion that Dish will be any different. it's the new bet these companies have that you won't bother switching. I wouldn't be surprised if *I* get back into a situation where I am switching back to DTV. But I'm one that *is* willing to bother doing what it takes to get upgraded equipment at the same price as a new subscriber (aka free). In my case 5yo equipment and 10yo customer deserves at least as good as a new person they know nothing about.

#26 OFFLINE   ber125

ber125

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

You can also visit www.directvdiscounts.com .  They are always posting friend referrals for people to get the additional $10 off per month for the first 10 months of new service.

I hope this helps!!

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,607 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

You can also visit www.directvdiscounts.com .  They are always posting friend referrals for people to get the additional $10 off per month for the first 10 months of new service.

I hope this helps!!

Are you sure that is not YOUR account?   !rolling

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

Are you sure that is not YOUR account?   !rolling

Amazing how it doesn't take much to confirm that fact :)

#29 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,607 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

Amazing how it doesn't take much to confirm that fact :)

Yup, the "they" give it away for me when there is only ONE "post"

They are always posting friend referrals for people to get the additional $10 off per month for the first 10 months of new service.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall