Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Blank recordings on HR-34

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   james2006

james2006

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

I thought missed recordings on the HR-34 were a thing of the past, but I returned to my parent's house last night and found that the Lakers was not recorded. It showed up in the playlist but the entire recording was a black screen. I tried to watch the game on another DVR, and also tried restarting the HR-34, but neither helped. My parents tell me that they have missed a couple of football games and one regular show with similar blank recordings.

Is this an issue that others are seeing on the current national release?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,252 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

If it recorded a full 2 hours or more and its blank with no audio, might be an HDCP issue. How is the HR34 connected to the TV? What kind of TV?

#3 OFFLINE   james2006

james2006

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

HR-34 is connected via HDMI to Marantz AV receiver to Samsung TV. Recordings off the same channel have worked before and there are no issues with 99% of the recordings

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,710 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

What channel was that Laker's game on? Is it a channel they receive, or was the game blacked out in their area?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   james2006

james2006

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

Lakers game was on Time Warner Cable Sportsnet; they are in the Lakers territory and are able to watch live games on the channel.

Also, I am thinking it is not an HDCP issue, b/c that would have been solved by watching the game on another DVR via MRV.

I guess my last question is whether this is something that I should contact Directv about. It is very frustrating for my dad to record Sunday Ticket games only to have a blank screen when he comes back to watch them. I had assumed he was accidentally recording games on the 700's that should have been recorded on his locals, but he assured me this was not the case - and now I am starting to believe him. For the time being I have told him to record sporting events on one of the other DVRs in the house - a solution, but not a perfect one.

#6 OFFLINE   Reggie3

Reggie3

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

I bet it was blocked

Basement: H21-100 to 60" Sony SXRD

Family Room: HR34 Genie HDMI to 70" Slharp Elite (Feb 22nd, 2013)

Main Bedroom:  HR22-100  to 50" Panasonic Plasma

Loyal DirecTV customer since 1996

#7 OFFLINE   james2006

james2006

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Is a full blank recording (that can be fastforwarded etc) consistent with a program that is blacked out? I thought when something was blacked out you got a message to that effect on your screen (e.g. this program is not available in your area).

#8 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 120 posts
  • LocationKC area

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

It has happened to me at least twice on the last two NR. There have been others that have reported this happening as well. It seems to occur when you are tuned to the channel you are wanting to record. Check the last two Issues threads on the HR34. I had a totally unwatchable recording of the Chiefs game (3 1/2hrs) yesterday, but don't know if it was local issue or not, or related to the blank recordings issue happening.
HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

Protected By... spam firewall...And...