Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Odd Full Screen Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ifalcon

ifalcon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

Hello -

I wasn't sure where to post this, but wanted to start with this great forum since we have received much support yet from Dish Network.

We are a current customer of Dish Network with the following features:

America's Top 250
Blockbuster@Home
DVR Service
Joey Receiver
Joey Receiver
Joey Receiver

In the past few days we have noticed some very odd behavior with some of our channels that will NOT go full screen any longer on any of our 4 TVs. We are very familiar with the format key on the remote and currently it's set to normal mode as always.

What we have noticed is some of our channels that used to go full screen now either have a large black border all the way around them or at least on each side. For example, channel 172 (DISE) used to be full screen on normal mode and now will not unless we change the format which of course stretches everything. Another example is NICK HD is also now has a large black border on the sides. If I'm not mistaken, channel 195 (MILITARY) also used to be full screen, but not has a large black border around the sides and top.

Normal CNN HD, local HD, ESPN, etc. appear correctly in full screen.

Thank you for the help. Hoping someone can point out our next steps.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

I don't have the hopper, but I noticed this on my locals, regular broadcast in normal mode, alot of commercials in the boxed format, leads me to think it's not being broadcast HD.

Come to think of it, our local NBC affiliate use to have this issue when they were broadcasting local news, and now that they have officially gone "HD" that problem is gone.

Just a thought.

#3 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Disney is an SD only channel (dispute with Dish) so it will be the HD feed put in an SD box has been that way for several years.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,343 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Unless you stretch, you're likely to see at least pillar boxing on SD channels. SD content that is letterboxed will show as fully boxed; stretch works well with these.

I'm not sure what's up with Nick unless you were watching the SD version (or a recording thereof).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

The Military Channel is an SD feed. Have you checked to make sure your list is on My Channels or a Favorite List you created. What satellites are displayed on your receiver? You can find the satellites on Settings, Diagnostics, Point Dish, and Check Switch. Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks.

Hello -

I wasn't sure where to post this, but wanted to start with this great forum since we have received much support yet from Dish Network.

We are a current customer of Dish Network with the following features:

America's Top 250
Blockbuster@Home
DVR Service
Joey Receiver
Joey Receiver
Joey Receiver

In the past few days we have noticed some very odd behavior with some of our channels that will NOT go full screen any longer on any of our 4 TVs. We are very familiar with the format key on the remote and currently it's set to normal mode as always.

What we have noticed is some of our channels that used to go full screen now either have a large black border all the way around them or at least on each side. For example, channel 172 (DISE) used to be full screen on normal mode and now will not unless we change the format which of course stretches everything. Another example is NICK HD is also now has a large black border on the sides. If I'm not mistaken, channel 195 (MILITARY) also used to be full screen, but not has a large black border around the sides and top.

Normal CNN HD, local HD, ESPN, etc. appear correctly in full screen.

Thank you for the help. Hoping someone can point out our next steps.

#6 OFFLINE   ifalcon

ifalcon

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hi -

Sorry for the late reply. Been at a cold Iowa State football game. The satellites are 119, 110, 129.

Thanks.

#7 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

It has nothing to do with Dish. Some SD channels are sending out 16x9 content that is letterboxed on SD 4/3 TVs. When viewed on a 16x9 TV you will have a black border all the way around, Dish's zoom format will fill the screen. A few HD channels are sending occasional SD content with borders, zoom will fill the screen, but remember to go back to normal when the broadcast is over as your Dish receiver remembers your zoom settings for HD and SD separately.

#8 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Are all your TV's HD? I only have SD sets but have HD receivers from Dish (I've been ready for the future since 2004). On SD sets you can only stretch and zoom HD channels. Channels that are broadcast SD (such as The Military Channel and Disney) are letterboxed (at times) by the broadcaster.

On my set-up I can zoom in on an HD feed of a program if it's not 16 x 9 (such as many films shown on MTV/VH1 - why do they even bother having an HD version if they show films in 4 x 3?). But a similar issue on an SD channel is stuck at the format it's broadcast in with no adjustments possible.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#9 OFFLINE   JeffChap

JeffChap

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

On a few occasions I have had HD channels suddenly begin displaying in 4:3 format with black bars on either side. A power on reset of the receiver (a ViP 612) fixes it.

#10 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

On a few occasions I have had HD channels suddenly begin displaying in 4:3 format with black bars on either side. A power on reset of the receiver (a ViP 612) fixes it.

Do not adjust your receiver!

Normally when you see that it's the broadcaster that is showing a 4x3 picture on an HD channel. The MTV networks are notorious for showing feature films in 4 x 3 on their HD versions. Only the commercials are 16 x 9 on those occasions. Commercials on local stations also have this "issue" (it's not a problem with your equipment). I've seen a 16 x 9 formatted commercial shrunk with bars all around. It's broadcast that way!

A power reset is an extreme "fix", did you try the "*" button (format) on your remote first?
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

spam firewall