Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

slow motion closed captions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wiljoycem

wiljoycem

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

Vienna, Virginia 22182
wiljoycem@yahoo.com

November 23, 2012

DBS Talk

Re: slow motion closed captions

I read the posting from a number of years ago on this subject. Some responders doubted that this feature has any value. For almost everyone, it has no value. But for me, it has great value. The following describes why.

Five years ago, I suffered a noise injury to my ears. I can hear some, but not enough to follow the dialogue in a typical movie. The same applies with and without hearing aids.

So, whenever I watch a movie, I put on closed captions. But, for the typical movie, the closed captions come and go so quickly that I cannot follow the dialogue. With DirecTV using Tivo, I was able to watch movies in slow motion and also see the closed captions, and follow the dialogue. (But the slow motion suppressed the audio.) Is this a good way to watch a movie? Absolutely not; but it was the best of all the bad ways available to me.

Recently, my Tivo DVRs began resetting several times per hour. DirecTV replaced my Tivo DVRs with other ones. With that replacement, I lost the capability to have simultaneous slow motion and closed captions; and hence the capability to watch movies.

Does anyone know how one can get simultaneous slow motion and closed captions with DirecTV or any other service? I do not have high definition, and do not want to get it in my current situation.

Wil Moore

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

From what I have read,
Closed Captioning and Sub Titles are carried in the sound stream.
The instant you access pause, fast forward or slow motion, the sound is stripped from the stream and the Closed Captioning and Sub titles are also gone.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

The rebooting issue has been fixed. Do you still have the old TiVo? If so, it might be better to just reactivate it.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...