Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Existing WH via Ethernet, adding a HR34 (genie)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

So my last HR20-700 is giving up the ghost, and as usual D* is taking care of me.
Tonite they offered to swap out the old girl for a Genie. I pay for install ($49.99, and recommit to a 2 year deal again).
Not bad, two more years means nothing to me. After 13 years I do not plan on leaving D*...ever.
Question is, my WH solution is ethernet based (Gigabit), has been since the beta days. It works great. Will the Genie have any issues getting along, and sharing nicely in this environment with my HR24, HR21, and R22?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,494 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Works fine, but not supported. Not sure if the installer will do it that way.

#3 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

I'm not going to pay to be converted to DECA, when ethernet works great that's for sure

#4 OFFLINE   Billd300

Billd300

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

im not sure this will help you guys but check out this kink. If i understand this correctly if you have a hr34 you do not need a cck it says it will confuse the boxes. Not an expert just found this and thought it might help

forums.solidsignal.com/showthread.php/1251-WHITE-PAPER-A-Guide-to-DIRECTV-Networking

#5 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

As I am still on Ethernet I do not have a cck, never had one
check out my set up link in my sig

#6 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

im not sure this will help you guys but check out this kink. If i understand this correctly if you have a hr34 you do not need a cck it says it will confuse the boxes. Not an expert just found this and thought it might help

forums.solidsignal.com/showthread.php/1251-WHITE-PAPER-A-Guide-to-DIRECTV-Networking

Thanks, one band stop filter will be asked for this Sunday during install.
I hope the installer knows what he's doing, or at least can talk the talk.

#7 OFFLINE   Billd300

Billd300

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

As I am still on Ethernet I do not have a cck, never had one
check out my set up link in my sig

i was on an ethernet conncetion too but was told if i hooked a ethernet cable to hr34 it would have problems. All I did was disconnect the ethernet from all of my receivers except hr34 rebooted each receiver and whole home was running over the coax cable. I have had this for about a week with no problems.

#8 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

i was on an ethernet conncetion too but was told if i hooked a ethernet cable to hr34 it would have problems. All I did was disconnect the ethernet from all of my receivers except hr34 rebooted each receiver and whole home was running over the coax cable. I have had this for about a week with no problems.

funny, the link you sent me says to connect a band stop filter before the hr34, to force all other units units to use ethernet

#9 OFFLINE   Billd300

Billd300

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

funny, the link you sent me says to connect a band stop filter before the hr34, to force all other units units to use ethernet

you can do that if you want to continuing to use your ethernet connections to each box. I read somewhere that the coax network would be more stable so I decided to use the coax method. The installer was going to install a cck deca kit but after I showed him the page i sent you we tried without and it works fine

#10 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

you can do that if you want to continuing to use your ethernet connections to each box. I read somewhere that the coax network would be more stable so I decided to use the coax method. The installer was going to install a cck deca kit but after I showed him the page i sent you we tried without and it works fine

ethernet has been flawless for years now

#11 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,846 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

Well, you have to have SWM with the HR34... So you might as well use DECA.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Well, you have to have SWM with the HR34... So you might as well use DECA.

Plus going with DECA allows the receivers [H/HR24 and up] to test the coax networking for faults, which can't be done with ethernet.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

With network data, and hd video, audio all going over a coax line, isn't there some degradation in signal quality?
I mean this is getting to be like a Comcrap line with all that data getting pushed through that copper line isn't it?

And again, I don't want to have to pay top redo something that I've had for years, and works perfectly fine.

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,494 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

The only thing you'll need is two DECA boxes. The biggest part of it is required anyway, the move to SWM.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

With network data, and hd video, audio all going over a coax line, isn't there some degradation in signal quality?
I mean this is getting to be like a Comcrap line with all that data getting pushed through that copper line isn't it?

In the RF domain there isn't any problem. SWiM is all above 970 MHz, and the networking is in the 500-600 MHz range.
As to "degradation", nope.
I've been using it for years and ethernet can only be "as good" but not any better.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

So there is no frame compression, etc. when pushing everything through the same wire? I had thought discrete inputs for audio/video (coax), and network traffic (RG6) would have been superior.
OK.
Moving to SWM shouldn't be that much a chore, sounds like I simply not use one of the two coax wires that runs to each DVR.
I also assume that my multi-switch will need to be replaced with some other device.

I hope this HR-34 is worth it.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

So there is no frame compression, etc. when pushing everything through the same wire?

It "merely" sending what's going to/coming from the hard drive.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

It "merely" sending what's going to/coming from the hard drive.

I understand that, but isn't network traffic going over that same coax wire now as well, now that there is no separate ethernet connection?
It has to.
This seems to me to be exactly what cable cos are doing; internet, and TV over the same coax wire.

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

I understand that, but isn't network traffic going over that same coax wire now as well, now that there is no separate ethernet connection?
It has to.
This seems to me to be exactly what cable cos are doing; internet, and TV over the same coax wire.

The RF spectrum [domain] has a lot of bandwidth and DirecTV with SWiM isn't using anywhere near all of it.
"Your" IP packets for ethernet are being modulated on a 50 MHz bandwidth RF signal with the coax networking. Most cable internet doesn't use this much bandwidth, though some of the newer ones are using bonding to get more bandwidth.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

thanks VOS.
I'm obviously not an electrical engineer, but I think I got it.

Picture Quality, is critical to me. I work in the graphic arts and have a very keen eye for image detail, and quality. In fact that is what lead me to D* some 13 years ago.
I have also invested alot of money in my home theater, and do not want to lose ANY pq.
From you have said I will not see pq degradation what so ever, thanks.

It seems that my Zinwell multiswitch will need to be replaced for my conversion to SWiM as well right?

Edited by SteveHas, 24 November 2012 - 11:49 AM.

spam firewall