Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie Receiver Integration?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

Ok, I've been much more active here researching my imminent switch from Time Warner. I love the channel line up as it has more HD than both Dish and DirecTV, but the DVR is killing me. It's constantly glitching, missing recordings, and just plain awful.Time Warner has got to go.

I've compared Dish and DirecTV extensivily and most things are leading me toward DirecTV at this point even though Dish has a few more channels in HD that I want at this time (Sportmans, G4, Cooking to name the top three). The big stumbling block is their receiver integration. I require 5-6 outlets and the Hopper just doesn't have enough available tuners. I looked at a two Hopper system, but it's basically like having two individual systems like I have with Time Warner. Each unit can view each others recordings, but not see the schedule or manage it and it requires re-link Joeys and such.

So, I'm trying to find as much information as I can on how the Genie interacts with other recievers. I'm not talking about the C-31 clients here. I understand how they work and it's like having a Genie at each set with OTA and all. The have the same functionality. The issue with those is once again available live tuners. Since they limited the Genie to five, I could never have enough live tuners to support the system. Seems like a fail in the fact that the SWM supports 8 tuners. They should have allowed the Genie to support 8 tuners as well. However, I'm not against paying extra for an HD receiver or additional DVR for an outlet if it integrates well.

Can anyone confirm how an H25 behaves as a Genie client? That would allow for a live tuner always available at the set no matter what. Big question is will I be able to schedule recordings, see the schedule (to avoid duplicates), and view off the recorded list?

How would VOD work? I assume I'd need a separate connection to the H25?

I require OTA, I assume I would also need a separate AM21N at the H25 as well?

How would an HR-24 operate in the same setup?

One 5 tuner DVR is enough to make sure everyone gets what they want recorded (each person would baically get a tuner), but in some instances it would leave no live tuners.

If Dish had true Hopper integration, I'd probably go with that, but I need to verify how Genie operates before I pull the trigger and lock down for two years. I thank anyone who can confirm operations for me and give insight. I know the overall installation will be easier than Dish because of the SWM and the home having RG-6 to all outlets already.
BAN the FCC!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

With the Genie (HR34). you have 5 tuners and it will record or serve those up to up to 3 C-31's. it can also serve up recordings to any other HD DirecTV box (be it HD Reciever or HD-DVR) this excludes the H20 (out of production).

from any HD Receiver you can schedule recordings, but can't yet manage the to do list, however, it won't create "duplicates". if you add an HR24 to the mix, it will have it's own recording management (to do lists, series links, etc...) and would record duplicate programming as it's independant, but for the most important stuff (that we don't want to miss...), that's how I do things... duplicate on at least 2 DVR's so if one of them does go south... no problem...

if you require OTA, then yes you would need an AM21 at each TV (C-31's excluded because you would have 1 at the HR34's location, but a caution there it only has 2 tuners, and if they are both in use, you only have 3 sat tuners available as the box cannot have more than 5 active tuners at 1 time...

You have to keep in mind that if you do get C-31's that the machine can only handle 3 of them so at any time if 3 people are watching live TV, and a 4th at the HR34's location, you still have 1 free tuner for recording...

I hope this clears things up...

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#3 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

With the Genie (HR34). you have 5 tuners and it will record or serve those up to up to 3 C-31's. it can also serve up recordings to any other HD DirecTV box (be it HD Reciever or HD-DVR) this excludes the H20 (out of production).

from any HD Receiver you can schedule recordings, but can't yet manage the to do list, however, it won't create "duplicates". if you add an HR24 to the mix, it will have it's own recording management (to do lists, series links, etc...) and would record duplicate programming as it's independant, but for the most important stuff (that we don't want to miss...), that's how I do things... duplicate on at least 2 DVR's so if one of them does go south... no problem...

if you require OTA, then yes you would need an AM21 at each TV (C-31's excluded because you would have 1 at the HR34's location, but a caution there it only has 2 tuners, and if they are both in use, you only have 3 sat tuners available as the box cannot have more than 5 active tuners at 1 time...

You have to keep in mind that if you do get C-31's that the machine can only handle 3 of them so at any time if 3 people are watching live TV, and a 4th at the HR34's location, you still have 1 free tuner for recording...

I hope this clears things up...

Ok, that helps. I could use an H25 in the bedroom and schedule from it then if my wife tried scheduling a duplicate, she would get a message that it's already sceduled. That would solve the tuner availabilty. I do wish D* would get with it and have OTA ADD to the available tuner count.

I'm not as concerned with having DVR's on extra outlets so long as the receivers can stream from them. I'm more concerned with having available live tuners. I still think an 8 tuner Genie would have fit the bill perfectly. One HR-34 with 4 clients would allow for three available tuners to record from at any given time.

One question for anyone with OTA on the Genie - if two clients are streaming OTA, does that mean OTA will be unavailable at any other outlets because the tuners are both in use?
BAN the FCC!

#4 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Yes, if the Genie is already using two OTA stations to stream to other clients, or record shows, then if anyone else tries to tune to an OTA station they will get a popup telling them that the tuners are in use and I believe give you the option to cancel recordings if that is what is usign them.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#5 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

I think everyone here would drool over an 8-tuner DVR, but it isn't likely to happen anytime soon due to hardware limitations. Imagine how much that hard drive would need to skip around to record 8 simultaneous streams. I'm amazed that it keeps up with 5.

However, it is conceivable that D* at some point puts out a super-DVR which would basically be two HR-34's in one physical box. It would likely need to have two or more HDD's, maybe in a RAID configuration to keep up with the bandwidth demands. Hate to think what D* would charge for such a beast.

In the meantime, your best bet would probably to get a Genie plus another HD DVR. Then you have 7 tuners. You'll have to do some recording management, but it isn't as bad as it sounds. You generally just have to go through the pain once. If you write down where all your Series Links are recording (in an Excel spreadsheet, for instance). then managing the SL's isn't too difficult.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom
Whole Home DVR enabled :)

#6 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,814 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

The "ideal" configuration depends on how much OTA you watch. Personally, I'd go with H25s at each viewing location instead of C31s, since they come with their own tuner for satellite channels, leaving the Genie tuners for recording. If your "live" OTA viewing is lightweight enough, you can always simply start recording the channel on the HR34 and then watch it in real time at any location. That way you would only need one AM21. Another option, if your OTA reception supports the use of small and inconspicuous antennas, would be separate OTA antennas for each TV (much cheaper than AM21s everywhere).

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#7 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

Watch alot of OTA for local news. I'm trying to make it convenient for the others in the house who aren't "technically inclined". They are used to having the channels in the guide and recordable.
BAN the FCC!

#8 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

An H25 with no AM21 attached cannot request an OTA channel recording on an HR34 with an AM21 attached can it? It can't see the OTA channels that are local to the HR34's guide, right?

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

I believe you're right on that.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,814 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

Watch alot of OTA for local news. I'm trying to make it convenient for the others in the house who aren't "technically inclined". They are used to having the channels in the guide and recordable.

Well, the Genie with an AM21 will be seamless on the DVR itself and any C31s. I just wish there was a way you could integrate OTA without needing a two tuner AM21 in addition to an H25 just watch local TV live (and leaving one OTA tuner idle all the time).

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

spam firewall