Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

C-31 Questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

I am thinking about swapping out an H25 for a C31. Here is the questions I have:

• Is the C31 quite a bit slower then the H25?
  • Is the C31 slower, faster, or the same speed as navigating on the HR34, currently the HR34 at times gets very slow with processes in the background and you will have to input channel #s several times to take?
  • If a C31 is in use does it slow down the HR34 quite a lot, such as more then a H25 viewing a remote recording?
  • I am aware that if I purchase the C31 from a dealer such as SolidSignal I will be leasing and extending my current 2 year commitment, but what if the C31 dies later since I purchased from a 3rd party will D* expect me to buy it from SS again or would they replace it since its a lease?
  • Currently on the H25 there is a setting under Settings/Whole-Home/External Device/Current Program/Allow or Block, it doesn't seem to affect anything on the H25 but on the C31 does this prevent the program your watching from appearing? Say if all 5 tuners are in use and the Conflict Screen pops up on the HR34 that shows Tuner Activity with the ability to cancel a current recording, what is displayed when you are watching a program on the C31 and this setting is on Block?
  • Will D* allow me to send back the H25 if I replace it with a C31 even though I haven't had the H25 for 2 years?
  • Does YouTube & Pandora both work from the C31?

Thanks,
~Joe

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

I don't mean to come off as rude or anything, but does anyone know these answers?

Thanks,
~Joe

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

I am thinking about swapping out an H25 for a C31. Here is the questions I have:

• Is the C31 quite a bit slower then the H25?
  • Is the C31 slower, faster, or the same speed as navigating on the HR34, currently the HR34 at times gets very slow with processes in the background and you will have to input channel #s several times to take?
  • If a C31 is in use does it slow down the HR34 quite a lot, such as more then a H25 viewing a remote recording?
  • I am aware that if I purchase the C31 from a dealer such as SolidSignal I will be leasing and extending my current 2 year commitment, but what if the C31 dies later since I purchased from a 3rd party will D* expect me to buy it from SS again or would they replace it since its a lease?
  • Currently on the H25 there is a setting under Settings/Whole-Home/External Device/Current Program/Allow or Block, it doesn't seem to affect anything on the H25 but on the C31 does this prevent the program your watching from appearing? Say if all 5 tuners are in use and the Conflict Screen pops up on the HR34 that shows Tuner Activity with the ability to cancel a current recording, what is displayed when you are watching a program on the C31 and this setting is on Block?
  • Will D* allow me to send back the H25 if I replace it with a C31 even though I haven't had the H25 for 2 years?
  • Does YouTube & Pandora both work from the C31?

Thanks,
~Joe

1- Don't know, never had a H25
2- It is a bit slower then being directly on the HR34.
3- I haven't noticed if it does.
4- I've purchased receivers from 3rd parties before and haven't had any problems like that, if it's a leased receiver then they're fix it.
5- Not sure exactly you're asking.
6- Yes you can send it back, the commitment is for programming, not the hardware
7- Yes Pandora, YouTube and MediaShare work on the C31.

If you're REALLY concerned about UI performance the at this time I think you won't be happy with the C31 since it is a bit slower then the HR34 native access. But being able to have full DVR controls without first having to record the program and ToDo/Series Manager control out weights that issue IMHO.

Edited by RAD, 25 November 2012 - 09:44 PM.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

1. A little bit slower.
2. I would say about the same, or a tab bit slower.
3. Not that I've noticed.
4. No different than if you purchased it from D*
5. Not sure either.
6. Yes.
7. Yes.

My question for you: why are you thinking of swapping it out?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,741 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

As to #5. The block of which you speak merely prevents an IP device such as the iPad/Android app from being able to see what that particular receiver is tuned to (and I assume the app cannot control it either). It has no other use I am aware of.

The C31 is not an H25 in speed but in a layout where you have the HR34 and several of these exclusively, it is a great unit. It adds full DVR functionality to every C31 client. Pause live TV, schedule, view recordings just like you were sitting at the HR34.

These are my opinions YMMV.

Don "if you love the speed on the H25 and that's important. . ." Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#6 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

My question for you: why are you thinking of swapping it out?

Mainly for the reasons RAD stated & would like on demand access from the H25 current location

But being able to have full DVR controls without first having to record the program and ToDo/Series Manager control out weights that issue IMHO.

5- Not sure exactly you're asking.

What I am asking is if the C31 is turned on & in use and the HR34 is recording 4 programs, your on the HR34 and go to select a 5th to record what shows on the conflict screen? or does it not appear? does the show your watching on the C31 appear on the HR34 conflict screen?

Edited by Joe Spears, 25 November 2012 - 11:41 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

As to #5. The block of which you speak merely prevents an IP device such as the iPad/Android app from being able to see what that particular receiver is tuned to (and I assume the app cannot control it either). It has no other use I am aware of.

Isn't that the External Access setting in the same menu your speaking of that blocks external apps from accessing not Current Program setting? There both next to each other under the Whole Home/ External Access section.

External Access says: Allow or block external devices from accessing your receiver or seeing the program you are currently viewing.

Current Program says: Allow or block external devices from accessing the title & information of the program you are currently viewing.

In other words if those settings are both on Allow does it show the program your watching on the C31 on the HR34 somewhere? conflict screen perhaps?
And if it is set to Block on both what is shown on the HR34?

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

What I am asking is if the C31 is turned on & in use and the HR34 is recording 4 programs, your on the HR34 and go to select a 5th to record what shows on the conflict screen? or does it not appear? does the show your watching on the C31 appear on the HR34 conflict screen?

I don't have the exact answer here but...

I've loaded up the HR34 with four recordings and had it tuned to another channel live.
I then went to my C31 and turned it on. Instead of finding the normal channel it would be on, it showed the channel of the last recording that the HR34 was doing.
I then tried to change channels and got a screen with what the five tuners were doing and basically which recording I wanted to cancel to change channels for the C31.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

I don't have the exact answer here but...

I've loaded up the HR34 with four recordings and had it tuned to another channel live.
I then went to my C31 and turned it on. Instead of finding the normal channel it would be on, it showed the channel of the last recording that the HR34 was doing.
I then tried to change channels and got a screen with what the five tuners were doing and basically which recording I wanted to cancel to change channels for the C31.

Thanks that does help! :)

I am just curious if you try to change channels on the HR34 with all tuners & C31 in use what would appear on that screen that shows Tuner Activity. Would it show the program your watching on the C31 from that screen on the HR34?

#10 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,741 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

Never pushed my 34 to conflict yet. Thanks for digging up specifics on the allow/block I had been responding from memory.

Blocking external access isolates the DVR outside the whole home environment. Its playlist content is not shown to other receivers and no IP control is allowed if blocked.

Current program blocking allows one to have a DVR part of the whole home landscape but its current programming not displayed to external devices. Presume this is like a privacy function so when the kids are watching Skin-o-max you could not tell (unless they were recording it as then it would show in the whole home playlist)

Don "made me look it up. Thanks:)" Bolton

Isn't that the External Access setting in the same menu your speaking of that blocks external apps from accessing not Current Program setting? There both next to each other under the Whole Home/ External Access section.

External Access says: Allow or block external devices from accessing your receiver or seeing the program you are currently viewing.

Current Program says: Allow or block external devices from accessing the title & information of the program you are currently viewing.

In other words if those settings are both on Allow does it show the program your watching on the C31 on the HR34 somewhere? conflict screen perhaps?
And if it is set to Block on both what is shown on the HR34?

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Thanks that does help! :)

I am just curious if you try to change channels on the HR34 with all tuners & C31 in use what would appear on that screen that shows Tuner Activity. Would it show the program your watching on the C31 from that screen on the HR34?

So I repeated this from the HR34 and when you request a channel that would need a tuner to change channel, it gives you the same prompt for which recording to cancel to change channels.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Thank you all for the responses, it does indeed help! :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...