Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PI 21 to power Terk ota?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hinge

hinge

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Can I use PI 21 to power Terk ota (clip on dish ) if I run seperate cable to Terk from PI and then connect other end from PI to tv/ant input on HD TV. The Terk was using power from receiver (18V ?) and PI output is 21 V.

I got the Terk for free, but since I'm HD , I can't diplex it so I'm thinking this would work. Local channels go down here occasionally, plus there are extra locals not on Directv

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,553 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

I don't think the Power Inserter is compatible with your Terk antenna.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

The pi itself would probably work but you can't power both the dish and the antenna with it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   hinge

hinge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:41 AM

Your right, I'm only looking to power the Terk by itself with seperate RG6 cable, that would connect at the Terk ,then come into the house to PI , then from PI to ant/ input at TV , plugging the PI in only as needed for backup to locals.

#5 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

21v power supply feeding a 18v device generally should not be a problem. Most electronics have regulators at their input that would easily discard the extra 3volts. In some devices you could probably get away with the 29v power inserter too, it just depends on the range of the regulator in the device's power supply.

The more important factor would be current consumption but since the LNB power inserter has a higher capacity than the antenna would ever pull you should be ok there.

#6 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

Most of the clipon type Terk antennas are not amplifyed and no power is needed for them. if you have the older type and plug a power inserter to it, you will have short and blow up the power supply.

If you have a amplifyed type clipon, it should have come with a power source.

Never mix devices with unknow power supplies unless you really know what there specs are and what you are doing.

#7 OFFLINE   hinge

hinge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Cable t, the model Tv44 Terk ( which I have) is powered by the receiver according to the instructions , I'm thinking is 13V to 18V, so it requires external power.

Big, I thought about the power draw also, I think the PI max amps is 1.5, I can't see the Terk pulling more than milliamps, but it would be something I would watch

Edited by hinge, 25 November 2012 - 07:06 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Cable t, the model Tv44 Terk ( which I have) is powered by the receiver according to the instructions , I'm thinking is 13V to 18V, so it requires external power.

Big, I thought about the power draw also, I think the PI max amps is 1.5, I can't see the Terk pulling more than milliamps, but it would be something I would watch

Exactly, it seems you got what I meant regarding current. I think I read something earlier that when using that Terk antenna connect it to the 18v side of a legacy switch. So 21v supply should workout just fine for you.

#9 OFFLINE   hinge

hinge

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Hooked up , working fine

#10 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,553 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:51 AM

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

spam firewall