Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV adding items to my bill without permission

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bluemoon737

bluemoon737

Godfather

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

I know there was a thread about this 5-6 years ago but it's happening again and it isn't right. I just had my service moved to our new house and told them specifically that I didn't want the protection plan. On my second monthly bill (I have paperless billing but usually check it each month unless the amount is what I expect), there was a charge for the protection plan of $5.99. I called to remove it and was told it was on the first month for free and billed after that. I looked at the first bill from the new house and it was NOT listed at all. I guess DirecTV thought they could get away with adding stuff (that I specifically told them NOT to add) since I don't get a paper bill and wouldn't notice. :mad:

I can't believe they try and get away with this stuff...and really find it hard to believe it isn't illegal? :nono2:
-Jeff-
HR34-700, HR24-100, HR24-100, HR21-100, HR21-200, H23-600

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

Did they remove it and credit you the $5.99 plus associated taxes?

#3 OFFLINE   bluemoon737

bluemoon737

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

Did they remove it and credit you the $5.99 plus associated taxes?

Well yet another thing to tick me off...yes, they removed it...at a pro-rated rate!!! :mad: I had to call them again and get it removed for the full amount.
-Jeff-

#4 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

I doubt it's some grand corporate conspiracy of willful deception. Perhaps a CSR made a mistake or there was just a glitch in the system. Those things happen. The email you sent them to get this resolved probably required less effort than posting this thread.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#5 OFFLINE   bluemoon737

bluemoon737

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Since it has happened before (see previous thread), and it took TWO phone calls to get it fixed correctly...I guess I have a different opinion than you. I have NO doubt DirecTV will do whatever they can to make more money (nothing really wrong with that...I am a supporter of capitalism), but doing things like this in particular when the customer was clear they didn't want the service is wrong.
-Jeff-

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

They added it to my bill two years ago without telling me. The CSR did it when my multi switch needed replacing so I wouldn't have to pay for the service call. But since it was done without my knowledge, it was removed. Certainly not the proper way to do business.

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

I doubt it's some grand corporate conspiracy of willful deception. Perhaps a CSR made a mistake or there was just a glitch in the system. Those things happen. The email you sent them to get this resolved probably required less effort than posting this thread.

I think sometimes the computer is programmed does things like this whenever a change of any kind is made and it is not the person on the phone that you are talking to.
I have similar problems anytime I make a change to an AT&T phone service.
Usually a phone call can correct it.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

I've seen errors on my bill and the best way to resolve it is email. That way there is a documented record. Also I'd rather not waste my time (or theirs) placing a call on something of such overall insignficance. They have always fixed it in a timely manner.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#9 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

the tech onsite can also add the Protection Plan to your account via his handheld. When I hear about the addition of the Protection Plan associated with a tech visit, that is what comes to mind. The practice of adding services to an account without the account holder's knowledge or permission (called "slamming" in this and other industries) is just about the quickest way for a DirecTV csr to be promoted to paying customer.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#10 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

I can't resist:

OP, if you've experience this problem every 5-6 years, you could say you have it once in a blue moon.

:grin:
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

There are 2 places you can sign when you get something done. One approves the installation and the other one adds the protection plan.

Attach rate and disconnect rates are tracked so if someone is doing something dubious it doesn't take long to catch it.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

I just had a service call on 11/14. After reading this thread, I logged in on-line and checked my "recent activity". Along with the service call being listed, it had me signed up for the protection plan on the same day. The service technician did not ever ask me about whether I wanted the protection. He just pointed to where I should sign off on the form that needs to be signed at the end of a service call. I guess I should have read what I signed.

#13 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Was it added by the tech or by the CSR when you called in? Mine was added by the CSR. When I called when it showed up on my bill, the CSR I was talking to was able to 'see' that I hadn't added PP so had it deleted. So if you don't want it, you need to call/email DirecTV and have it removed.

#14 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Was it added by the tech or by the CSR when you called in? Mine was added by the CSR. When I called when it showed up on my bill, the CSR I was talking to was able to 'see' that I hadn't added PP so had it deleted. So if you don't want it, you need to call/email DirecTV and have it removed.

On the service call sign-off form, there is a spot for the protection plan. If you want it, you check one of the 3 protection plan options and sign. If you don't want it, the technician has typically instructed me that, to decline the protection, I need to sign without checking off any boxes.

In my case, I just checked my copy of the form. None of the boxes were checked off. But, since it was signed, it would be very easy for that technician to just check the sign-up box after he left my home.

#15 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

How much were you quoted for the service call when you set it up?

#16 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

How much were you quoted for the service call when you set it up?

It was a no-charge service call to fix up something that was done incorrectly on a previous service call.

The lesson I've learned is that, when the technician tells you to sign the form, the thing to do is to cross out the protection plan options and write "decline" in big letters. Otherwise it is too easy for the technician to check off the protection plan after he/she leaves the site so that he/she can get whatever commission goes along with signing a customer up for the protection plan.

#17 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:26 AM

I just had a service call on 11/14. After reading this thread, I logged in on-line and checked my "recent activity". Along with the service call being listed, it had me signed up for the protection plan on the same day. The service technician did not ever ask me about whether I wanted the protection. He just pointed to where I should sign off on the form that needs to be signed at the end of a service call. I guess I should have read what I signed.

+1 ALWAYS read what you sign, you may never know what you agree / authorize to if you don't - look at cell phone charge spamming, a perfect example

#18 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

+1 ALWAYS read what you sign, you may never know what you agree / authorize to if you don't - look at cell phone charge spamming, a perfect example

It's amazing how many people foolishly sign without reading.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#19 OFFLINE   retired flyer

retired flyer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

I think DTV knows most customers don't read their bill closely. A week ago the CSR would not correct a glaring mistake on my bill and I asked for the retention dept. where they immediately corrected the mistake. I wonder if CSRs get a bonus for this kind of response?

#20 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

A couple of observations. The adding of the protection plan routine is not new.

A couple of years ago, I had my roof done, I called Directv to get an alignment done after the roof job. Directv offered the service call for free (without me asking) since I was a long time customer. I appreciated the offer and they came out. Not once was the protection plan discussed, nor did I sign anything regarding the protection plan. Yet, on my next months bill, the protection plan showed up as a line item. One call got it cancelled and the monies refunded, but it was not a call I should have to make.

Second observation, as others have stated, always check your bill. I'm suppose to get the $10 x 24 months HD credit. The credit started in April 2011. It has shown up every month, until this month. I called, spent 15 minutes on the phone, the CSR confirmed I should be getting it but a "system glitch" caused it to not show up this month. Again, one call solved the issue, but not a call I should have to make.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

Protected By... spam firewall...And...