Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV adding items to my bill without permission

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

In my case, I had the unfortunate timing to get an important phone call just as the service technician was finishing up, and I had to manage dealing with the phone call and signing off on the DIRECTV service call at the same time. Even with that, I checked my copy of the sign-off sheet, and I definitely did not sign up for the protection plan. Thus, it could have been the service technician, the service company that DIRECTV contracts, or DIRECTV itself that signed me up.

When I called DIRECTV, the CSR did remove the protection plan from my account and assured me that she had reversed any pro-rated charges. To reduce the chances of any surprises on my next statement, I also sent an email to Ellen Filipiak's office. When someone from that office called me, she assured me that DIRECTV does not sign people up for the protection plan without their approval. If that is true, then my sign up had to come from somewhere lower on the chain. The customer advocate rep also assured me that they follow up on finding out where the sign up did take place. If that is the case, I would hope that someone would have consequences for his/her unethical actions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

In my case, I had the unfortunate timing to get an important phone call just as the service technician was finishing up, and I had to manage dealing with the phone call and signing off on the DIRECTV service call at the same time. Even with that, I checked my copy of the sign-off sheet, and I definitely did not sign up for the protection plan. Thus, it could have been the service technician, the service company that DIRECTV contracts, or DIRECTV itself that signed me up.

When I called DIRECTV, the CSR did remove the protection plan from my account and assured me that she had reversed any pro-rated charges. To reduce the chances of any surprises on my next statement, I also sent an email to Ellen Filipiak's office. When someone from that office called me, she assured me that DIRECTV does not sign people up for the protection plan without their approval. If that is true, then my sign up had to come from somewhere lower on the chain. The customer advocate rep also assured me that they follow up on finding out where the sign up did take place. If that is the case, I would hope that someone would have consequences for his/her unethical actions.

I would have told the tech to wait while I finished the call, absolutely refuse to sign or agree to anything that I don't read first

#23 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

I would have told the tech to wait while I finished the call, absolutely refuse to sign or agree to anything that I don't read first

a. The phone call was one that was going to take at least a half hour to conclude, and I have no desire to take up a half hour of the technician's time. Also, I had been trying to get in touch with the person who called for 3 days, and I had no interest in cutting the phone call short and having to spend more time waiting for the person to call me back again.

b. As I said in the previous post, I checked my copy of the sign-off sheet, and I did not check off or sign anything on that sheet that would have signed me up for the protection plan. Whoever or whatever got me signed up for the protection plan happened at some point after the technician left my house, and, thus, regardless of how much time I might have spent reading the sign-off sheet, it would have made no difference with regard to getting signed up for the protection plan without my authorization.

#24 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

It's always a good idea to log into the web page and check the "recent activity" tab BEFORE you get your next bill after anything at all changes on your account.

I had a DVR installed by a technician a few years ago and the protection plan magically appeared (nothing was discussed about it and nothing was noted on the receipt I was given by the installer). Of course, DirecTV canceled it but the one bonus was they mailed me the "contract" so I actually got to see exactly how the protection plan worked. After reading it, I decided that the protection plan wasn't for me anyway.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#25 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

a. The phone call was one that was going to take at least a half hour to conclude, and I have no desire to take up a half hour of the technician's time. Also, I had been trying to get in touch with the person who called for 3 days, and I had no interest in cutting the phone call short and having to spend more time waiting for the person to call me back again.

b. As I said in the previous post, I checked my copy of the sign-off sheet, and I did not check off or sign anything on that sheet that would have signed me up for the protection plan. Whoever or whatever got me signed up for the protection plan happened at some point after the technician left my house, and, thus, regardless of how much time I might have spent reading the sign-off sheet, it would have made no difference with regard to getting signed up for the protection plan without my authorization.

that is the difference between you and me - I don't read it, I don't sign it. No exceptions. I wait for them, they can wiat for me.

#26 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

that is the difference between you and me - I don't read it, I don't sign it. No exceptions. I wait for them, they can wiat for me.

Which is irrelevant as he has stated, twice now, he did not sign anything related to the protection plan.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#27 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

Which is irrelevant as he has stated, twice now, he did not sign anything related to the protection plan.

Thanks. I was beginning to wonder if I had actually said what I thought I had said (twice). And the point is that it makes little difference what you have signed or what you have read if someone's ethics are lacking to the extent that he/she is willing to make changes to the form after he/she has left the site. Perhaps, my best protection was keeping my copy of the form as proof of what I actually did sign and as proof that I did not choose to sign up for the protection plan.

#28 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

Wow - the defense of DirecTV in any situation on this forum strikes me as pretty intense. Especially since I have been away from reading this forum much, and have just lately come back with fresh eyes.

Before anyone gets too excited over that comment, I'm a 10+ year subscriber, but I'm neither a "hater", nor a "fanboy". I'm just making an observation from my viewpoint, based on this thread and several others recently.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#29 OFFLINE   Sackett

Sackett

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

I just had this happen to me as well. I had ordered an additional HD DVR, the tech came out this past Friday. Yesterday I received an email from Directv saying thanks for signing up for the PP and that $5.99 will be added to my monthly bill. I immediately called them and they did remove it, however as I mentioned to them, I did not authorize this and it should have never been allowed to be added without my authorization....

#30 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

I just had this happen to me as well. I had ordered an additional HD DVR, the tech came out this past Friday. Yesterday I received an email from Directv saying thanks for signing up for the PP and that $5.99 will be added to my monthly bill. I immediately called them and they did remove it, however as I mentioned to them, I did not authorize this and it should have never been allowed to be added without my authorization....

I got the feeling from talking with both the front line CSR and the CSR from the customer advocate group that this is not the first time that they have had to deal with this issue. They neither seemed surprised to hear what happened, nor did they offer any resistance to removing the protection plan from my account.

#31 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

As I write this, I'm waiting on a technician to fix a problem that developed on Sunday. When we were unable to resolve the problem over the phone, the rep told me that a service call would be needed and offered two options
  • $49 service call fee
  • Protection Plan -- $5.99/month which can be discontinued after 2 months. If the plan is discontinued in less than 12 months though,, there will be a $10 termination fee.
So basically, I could pay $49 up front for the service call or $22 if I agreed to enroll in the protection plan then drop it after 2 months.

The telephone rep was very up front about my choices and I made an informed decision. Obviously, DirecTV would like for me to forget about the extra charge and keep the plan but I already have a reminder on my calendar to drop it in two months.

Athena

#32 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

As I write this, I'm waiting on a technician to fix a problem that developed on Sunday. When we were unable to resolve the problem over the phone, the rep told me that a service call would be needed and offered two options

• $49 service call fee
  • Protection Plan -- $5.99/month which can be discontinued after 2 months. If the plan is discontinued in less than 12 months though,, there will be a $10 termination fee.
So basically, I could pay $49 up front for the service call or $22 if I agreed to enroll in the protection plan then drop it after 2 months.

The telephone rep was very up front about my choices and I made an informed decision. Obviously, DirecTV would like for me to forget about the extra charge and keep the plan but I already have a reminder on my calendar to drop it in two months.

Athena

According to the terms and conditions there is also a $10 fee to drop the PP in the first year (assuming that is the terms and conditions currently in effect since there seem to be multiple versions on the Directv site.)

http://www.directv.c..._plan_terms.pdf
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#33 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

According to the terms and conditions there is also a $10 fee to drop the PP in the first year (assuming that is the terms and conditions currently in effect since there seem to be multiple versions on the Directv site.)

http://www.directv.c..._plan_terms.pdf

I'm sorry, isn't that what I said? 2 months @5.99 + $10 Termination = $21.98

#34 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Whoops. That is the trouble with ADD, only read 1/2 the sentence. :grin:

#35 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

I could be wrong, but I thought that, with the protection plan, if you cancel within one year, you are also retroactively charged for any repairs/service calls that had been paid for with the protection plan. If that is the case, cancelling after 2 months will cost you 2 months at $5.99 per month + $10 termination fee + the 49.99 for the service call.

#36 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

I could be wrong, but I thought that, with the protection plan, if you cancel within one year, you are also retroactively charged for any repairs/service calls that had been paid for with the protection plan. If that is the case, cancelling after 2 months will cost you 2 months at $5.99 per month + $10 termination fee + the 49.99 for the service call.

That's what the Protection Plan contract said when I got one by accident a few years ago. Unless this has been changed, it is probably still true.

Rather than believe the CSR's "choices", I'd read the contract VERY carefully because that is what is going to happen.

This is just like a story a friend of mine told me about a flood in his basement. His insurance agent told him "that will be covered" but, of course it wasn't as the insurance company deemed the situation a "natural disaster".

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#37 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Technically that is correct, however in all my years here I've never seen them actually do so.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#38 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

the tech onsite can also add the Protection Plan to your account via his handheld. When I hear about the addition of the Protection Plan associated with a tech visit, that is what comes to mind. The practice of adding services to an account without the account holder's knowledge or permission (called "slamming" in this and other industries) is just about the quickest way for a DirecTV csr to be promoted to paying customer.

that makes sense, those techs get bonuses for each protection plan they "sell" (or i mean add to the account) lol
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#39 OFFLINE   i3rown

i3rown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

I know there was a thread about this 5-6 years ago but it's happening again and it isn't right. I just had my service moved to our new house and told them specifically that I didn't want the protection plan. On my second monthly bill (I have paperless billing but usually check it each month unless the amount is what I expect), there was a charge for the protection plan of $5.99. I called to remove it and was told it was on the first month for free and billed after that. I looked at the first bill from the new house and it was NOT listed at all. I guess DirecTV thought they could get away with adding stuff (that I specifically told them NOT to add) since I don't get a paper bill and wouldn't notice. :mad:

I can't believe they try and get away with this stuff...and really find it hard to believe it isn't illegal? :nono2:

Actually.... Your suppose to initial which protection plan that you want .. Then sign and date for the wo and the protection plan .

If you are in a paperless area at the top of the screen is says what you are singing for and you have the option of checking the box that says email me this ..

#40 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Why not just have the tech issue a separate piece of paper to sign for "extra's", such as the PP?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...