Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiver prices?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kung

Kung

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

I've been a longtime Dish subscriber (had it from 2003 to 2008, then moved and have had it from then till now); we've had a very basic programming package for most of that time.

Recently I decided to take the HD plunge; and considered upgrading to get a Hopper and one Joey. Not sure if I'm missing something (very possible), but Thursday/Friday I saw ads all over Dish.com for a free Hopper/Joey system (notwithstanding monthly fees, of course). Saturday I go to sign up...and nowhere can I find them. I'm told to get the above, I'd need to pay $150.

I won't recite the whole customer-for-eleventy-two-years deal; I'm just curious whether or not the Hoppers/Joeys can be had for less. (Since I've been a customer for a long time and all. :sure: Yuk yuk.)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

The ads for the free Hopper/Joey are for new customers only. Current customers would need to pay an upfront upgrade fee (hence the $150). Most csr's won't offer long-term customers any reduction on that cost. Best source for a deal would be if you PM a DIRT member on this site. I usually see 'Ray C@Dish Network' on here in the afternoon. But there are others, look for xxx @Dish Network as part of their user names. Good Luck.

#3 OFFLINE   Max Mike

Max Mike

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

DirecTV will accommodate you with free equipment if Dish will not, make sure you say that to the Dish rep.

I recently left DirecTV for Dish because I liked Dish's program package better... DirecTV offered me new customer discounts for 12 months no two year contract and the latest equipment free with installation free to stay. Dish should take note and they might not lose customers.

One thing for sure is come two years and my contract is up and Dish does not cough up new discounts and equipment I will head right back to DirecTV. Dish is not entitled to my business nor yours.

Edited by Max Mike, 25 November 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

I just upgraded my 722, 622 and 2800 to 2 hoppers 1 joey last Wednesday. For me the price was $50/hopper $0/joey. The only other charge was the service charge for the tech to come install everything.

So far I'm enjoying the new setup very much.:)
2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#5 OFFLINE   Kung

Kung

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

I just upgraded my 722, 622 and 2800 to 2 hoppers 1 joey last Wednesday. For me the price was $50/hopper $0/joey. The only other charge was the service charge for the tech to come install everything.

So far I'm enjoying the new setup very much.:)

Interesting; I'm not sure why the difference in price. I've been with them at least 5 to 8 years; and my credit score is excellent. If I had to pay $50 or even $75 that'd be doable, but $150 is a bit much, IMHO.

#6 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

Interesting; I'm not sure why the difference in price. I've been with them at least 5 to 8 years; and my credit score is excellent. If I had to pay $50 or even $75 that'd be doable, but $150 is a bit much, IMHO.

It's because of your very basic program package. I, just last week, was offered a Hopper/Joey upgrade for $50 and they waved the tech fee too! I have AT200 and the BB package. I have been with them for 9 years.

#7 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

The pricing was recently reduced, the csr you talked to may be working off an old sheet. PM a DIRT member with your info and have them check for you.

#8 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

The pricing was recently reduced, the csr you talked to may be working off an old sheet. PM a DIRT member with your info and have them check for you.

Theres no such thing as an old sheet, or even a sheet for that matter.
The CSR loads up the account, sets up the info for the upgrade and then the system tells him what the price is for that customer.

If the OP is getting a 150$ price point thats exactly how much Dish cares for the customer based on alot of criteria like his package, and payment history (among many more).

You get a good deal your a great customer in there eyes, not so great deal then you get the idea..

@Op. take the 150$ deal. Its alot better then paying the retail value of it like some other customers ;)

#9 OFFLINE   Kung

Kung

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Theres no such thing as an old sheet, or even a sheet for that matter.
The CSR loads up the account, sets up the info for the upgrade and then the system tells him what the price is for that customer.

If the OP is getting a 150$ price point thats exactly how much Dish cares for the customer based on alot of criteria like his package, and payment history (among many more).

You get a good deal your a great customer in there eyes, not so great deal then you get the idea..

@Op. take the 150$ deal. Its alot better then paying the retail value of it like some other customers ;)

I don't think it's a terrible deal; but we've NEVER missed a payment, excellent credit score and have been with them for 5 to 8 years (depending upon how they look at it), so I'm curious as to how others are getting great deals, I suppose.

#10 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

I don't think it's a terrible deal; but we've NEVER missed a payment, excellent credit score and have been with them for 5 to 8 years (depending upon how they look at it), so I'm curious as to how others are getting great deals, I suppose.

The others are paying more per month/Have been paying more per month longer then you ;)

#11 OFFLINE   Kung

Kung

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

The others are paying more per month/Have been paying more per month longer then you ;)

Ah. THAT is understandable. LOL

#12 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

when i upgraded i paid $200 for 2 hoppers + 1 Joey

#13 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Hi, I would like to assist you. Can you please PM me your account or phone number and the four digit security code on your account? Please let me know how many Hopper/Joeys you are looking for and I will see what we can do. Thank you!

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday-Wednesday 2:30pm-11:00pm, Thursday 1:30pm-10:00pm (MST)

#14 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 868 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Are you saying that instead of $100 for the second hopper it was only $50 or was it just $50 plus the install price which was what??? Can you give more detail?

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#15 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 868 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

So what is the current pricing now for an install of 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys if you have the service plan? Assuming that you are a member in good standing, no negatives.............?

Edited by Grandude, 29 November 2012 - 11:53 AM.
added assuming statement

I still believe in magic
!

#16 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

So what is the current pricing now for an install of 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys if you have the service plan? Assuming that you are a member in good standing, no negatives.............?

I was just upgraded (16 yr customer no blemishes) and was quoted $50 per Hopper for 2 Hoppers and $0 for 3 Joeys. I do not know about installation cost as it was not in the quote and I have not seen my CC statement yet. I do not have DPP.

#17 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 868 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

I was just upgraded (16 yr customer no blemishes) and was quoted $50 per Hopper for 2 Hoppers and $0 for 3 Joeys

Thanks David, that is what I was thinking it would be......I'm about to pull the plug but need to wait till this very nasty weather we are having passes.

I still believe in magic
!

#18 OFFLINE   catnapped

catnapped

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

What's the added monthly charge for the H/J versus the 622? Is it $4 add'l or $11?

#19 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

What's the added monthly charge for the H/J versus the 622? Is it $4 add'l or $11?

The dvr fee increases from $6 to $10, each Hopper/Joey after the first one is $7 each, so if you go from one 622 to 1 Hopper/1 Joey, the increase would be $11.

#20 OFFLINE   Kung

Kung

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Hi, I would like to assist you. Can you please PM me your account or phone number and the four digit security code on your account? Please let me know how many Hopper/Joeys you are looking for and I will see what we can do. Thank you!

Mary - sent you a PM. Thanks so much!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...