Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Painfully slow HR20

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   greenwave

greenwave

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

For the last 2 weeks or so my hr20 has been painfully slow to respond to remote commands, and when scrolling through the guide (at a snails pace) the "cursor" or highlight bar disappears and the guide info data lags several pages behind, so that when the highlight bar returns in the guide it is, for example, highlighting channel 245 but showing info (title, etc) from another channel. I can correct this by moving the highlight bar over to the channel number, and then back to the program listing, but this bug showed up at the same time as the significant slow down so I presume they are related. Any thoughts or ideas as to cause/cure?
DirecTV since 2002?
Slimline DIsh
HR20-700/OTA/Networked
HR10-250

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

Several things might help.
1. Go to channel 1 and let it sit there for 1 minute
2. Menu, Settings, Display, Preferences, Scrolling Effects : OFF
3. Menu, Settings, Display, Video, Native : OFF
4. Menu, Settings, Reset, Restart Receiver

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,911 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

For the last 2 weeks or so my hr20 has been painfully slow to respond to remote commands, and when scrolling through the guide (at a snails pace) the "cursor" or highlight bar disappears and the guide info data lags several pages behind, so that when the highlight bar returns in the guide it is, for example, highlighting channel 245 but showing info (title, etc) from another channel. I can correct this by moving the highlight bar over to the channel number, and then back to the program listing, but this bug showed up at the same time as the significant slow down so I presume they are related. Any thoughts or ideas as to cause/cure?

Go to channel 1. Wait for it to load. Using your remote press Red-Red-Blue-Blue-Yellow-Green. Observe NVRAM/Flash is cleared will appear. Should speed up your receiver some.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

You might also have a failing HDD...perform a menu restart receiver and see if it passes the initial receiver self-check.

#5 OFFLINE   drh

drh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Do what is outlined below, channel 1 nvram cleaning. If that is ineffective, then if you have a large external drive attached, turn off the hr20, disconnect the external drive and reboot the hr20. Test it to see if the problem is fixed. If so the problem is that the external drive is over 50% full and needs some programs deleted. My 2tb external causes the same slow down for me when it gets much over 50% full.

Does any one else experience this problem?

Dan

#6 OFFLINE   greenwave

greenwave

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

Did the channel 1 nvram cleaning, which helped marginally if at all, so I did the menu-restart and we are back to (relative) blazing speed responsiveness. we have a 1TB external HDD but we are more than 85% free space. thanks for all the helpful suggestions -- as usual, this forum is a fantastic resource.
DirecTV since 2002?
Slimline DIsh
HR20-700/OTA/Networked
HR10-250

Protected By... spam firewall...And...