Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

From 3 DirecTivos to which HD solution?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JeffDomogala

JeffDomogala

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

First time poster here.

I was one of the people caught up in the DirecTivo reboot fiasco that finally got straightened out a few days ago. I love the Tivo for its hackability, but in the DirecTivo's case, DirecTV has managed to remove the one feature that was the most important to us, the multi-room-viewing. Since that is gone, and the fact that I now have all HD TV sets, I'm thinking it may be time to make the move to an HD DVR setup. I'm still at the point where most of the lingo and model numbers look like alphabet soup to me, but I have managed to digest enough to ask some questions.

1 - I'm seriously looking at the HR-34 as the master with C31 RVU clients for the other two sets. What I have not looked at is using multiple HR-24's. Does the HR-24 offer the same multi-room viewing as the DirecTivos did? For those that have had experience with both types of setups, what is your opinion?

2 - I also have to deal with the satellite setup. I currently have the round style dish that points to the 101 satellite. It is actually a replacement 30" dish that I installed to deal with signal strength and rain fade. It works really well. I know the HR-34 wants the SWM dish, but I have a feeling that I am going to be in the same boat as I was with the original small round dish. I have no objection to adding two more individual 24" dishes and providing my own SWM to combine them. I would really prefer to do this. So experts, tell me, is the DirecTV oval SWM dishes any better than the original round dish, or is going with the three individual large dishes and separate SWM the way to go for the best overall signal?

Thanks folks!!!

Edited by JeffDomogala, 25 November 2012 - 10:40 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

You will need three separate dishes most likely. The new dishes are not any more sensitive than the older ones.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

Have you talked to any of your neighbors or co workers to see if any of them have DirecTV and what they had to do to get it ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,009 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

If you use multiple HR2x units, the only significant "issue" you will have is that you can only select to record on the local unit. For example, if you are watching the "basement" unit and want to schedule a recording, you can only schedule it on that specific HR2x. You can watch it from any of the units. But you can't set it to record on a different HR2x (without going to that other unit and schedule it there).

Three HR2x units would give you the ability to record up to six channels at any given time. The HR34 would give you the ability to record up to five channels at any given time. But, when you are recording that many, you will not be able to watch different live programming in either case.

As to multiple dishes, look into the Alaska/Hawaii options. You need to make sure you get the appropriate type LNB assemblies. The SWM8 or SWM16 have four coax inputs, two for the 13V inputs and two for the 18V inputs (one non-tone, one tone for each voltage), plus the flexport inputs (not applicable to normal setups). There is a lot of information about the regular dishes and multiswitches (not the AK/HI) at http://hr20.dbstalk.......able FAQ.pdf

#5 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

As someone who has moved from the DirecTivo to the HR2x boxes. your functionality will be almost identical--except that when you hit LIST, you will see all shows form ALL DVR's unless you turn sharing off or change the list options to only show local recordings, wheras on the Tivo's, you had the option to look at each Tivo's shows as I remember it, also I believe the Tivo's allowed you to copy the show to the box whereas the HR2x boxes will stream the shows, and can only do 1 at a time. The HR34 can do 3 at a time... you can also do 1 HR34 and 2 HR24's and have the ability to record 9 things at once if you have the need...

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

Protected By... spam firewall...And...