Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OnDemand movie closed captioning issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

Last night we purchased The Amazing Spider-Man from DirecTV OnDemand, in 1080p. The problem was, we watched about half of it before the captioning problems got out of hand.

At first, just a line here or there was missed. We'd roll the movie back 30 seconds and try again, and the captioning would work (mostly) for a few minutes (which meant the captions WERE in the stream, but not being decoded correctly). By the time we were at the dinner scene at Captain Stacy's house, the captions were dropping so often that we had to stop watching. Going back and playing them again was not possible.

We ended up running out to RedBox and renting the bluray (which was actually cheaper) and so I was pretty turned off by the DirecTV rental.

That said, DirecTV customer service apologized when I called this morning and instantly issued a credit.
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

Glad it worked out for you.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

I've had that problem as well, on the few PPV I have ever rented. The first one I ever rented had no CC at all. Another reason to avoid their PPV.

Another pet peeve I have, not necessarily a DirecTV fault, is how on certain shows, Survivor for me, the captions lag so far behind the action as to be useless.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#4 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

Glad it worked out for you.

DirecTV's customer service tends to be pretty on-the-ball. Only problems I've ever had with DirecTV in the past has been because of local contractors and their inability to control them, but that was over 3 years ago now.
--Cap

TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#5 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

I've had that problem as well, on the few PPV I have ever rented. The first one I ever rented had no CC at all. Another reason to avoid their PPV.

Another pet peeve I have, not necessarily a DirecTV fault, is how on certain shows, Survivor for me, the captions lag so far behind the action as to be useless.

That one you have to blame on CBS. They go the cheaper route for their captioning of that show, and it's a shame.
--Cap

TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

Protected By... spam firewall...And...