Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Would like to add reciever

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   billfaith

billfaith

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hello

I have a dvr and 2 standard receivers. I would like to add a second dvr (used) and keep the 2 standard receivers. The problem is that I am out of ports on my switch. My switch has 2 ports coming in and 4 going out. I am using all 4 for the 4 receivers I have. I looked at my dish and its an old oval dish with 1 LNB. There are 2 cables coming out of it and I assume there are only 2 ports on it. What do I have to add/change to make this work? Do I need a bigger LNB, a newer dish, a new switch? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

something like this: http://www.solidsign...tiswitches&sku=
HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#3 OFFLINE   billfaith

billfaith

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

2 cables can power 8 receivers? That seems too easy!!

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,789 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

You are obviously on a standard definition system. A multiswitch is a device that allows you to connect multiple receivers/DVRs to your dish. Either 2 or 4 coax cables go between the dish and the inputs of the multiswitch. Different models of multiswitch have different quantities of outputs. Typical are 8 outputs. Switches are commonly referred to by the number of inputs x the number of outputs, for example 3x8, 4x8, 6x8.

A DVR needs two coax, a non-DVR receiver needs one. So in your case two DVRs = 4 inputs and two receivers = 2 more inputs for a total of six. Using an 8 output multiswitch gives you what you need (with two to spare).

If you choose to upgrade to high definition (HD), then you can do it all with just one coax from the dish.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,252 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

If you choose to upgrade to high definition (HD), then you can do it all with just one coax from the dish.

This is only true if the OP commits to giving up (either for sale or disposal) all of their existing equipment. None of the existing hardware (or switchgear acquired to expand the existing setup) could be reused in a DIRECTV-installed HD system.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

This is only true if the OP commits to giving up (either for sale or disposal) all of their existing equipment. None of the existing hardware (or switchgear acquired to expand the existing setup) could be reused in a DIRECTV-installed HD system.

Don't know that yet. If he as D12s and R16s, he's fine.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Heck, for all we know, he has an R22.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,252 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Don't know that yet. If he as D12s and R16s, he's fine.

Technically true, but it seems rather unlikely.

The main point I was trying to make is that any switchgear that works with the existing system will be useless in an HD system.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,252 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Heck, for all we know, he has an R22.

Not very likely if it is being acquired as "used". All SWiM capable equipment is likely leased and as such, doesn't carry a "new" or "used" status.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

Not very likely if it is being acquired as "used". All SWiM capable equipment is likely leased and as such, doesn't carry a "new" or "used" status.

Not necessarily, but I was actually referring to his current DVR.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,305 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Technically true, but it seems rather unlikely.

The main point I was trying to make is that any switchgear that works with the existing system will be useless in an HD system.

Not necessarily. a Zinwell 6x8 works fine with HD or HDDVR receivers

#12 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

Not necessarily. a Zinwell 6x8 works fine with HD or HDDVR receivers

That wouldn't give him SWM though, which is what Harsh was referring to.

#13 OFFLINE   billfaith

billfaith

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

Thanks everyone! So if I went to HD, my r16 dvrs wouldnt work and a new multiswitch I am getting wouldnt work either? I am old school, standard def, just got rid of my last tube tv after black friday but I suppose someday I will do hd. Thanks again.

Edited by billfaith, 28 November 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,095 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Thanks everyone! So if I went to HD, my r16 dvrs wouldnt work and a new multiswitch I am getting wouldnt work either? I am old school, standard def, just got rid of my last tube tv after black friday but I suppose someday I will do hd. Thanks again.

With a slimline dish ( legacy, not SWM ) and the proper multiswitch you can run HD receivers and the old receivers you already have.
There are many people that have this working for years.

I am not an installer and will not list the exact items you need.
If you call DirecTV and talk to them about upgrading to HD, they can tell you what they will and can't do. Probably cost you less than $100 for the labor, dish and any other items needed to make this happen. I did this 3 years ago. Give them a call.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#15 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

IIRC, the R16's can do SWM... dunno what his standard box is but the D12 is also a SWM box. Personally i would update to a slimline with a SL3S LNB to a 8 way splitter and run a line to each box if indeed the OP is running 2 R16's and one D12.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#16 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,789 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Yes, model numbers of the existing receivers would certainly help us to make suggestions.

spam firewall