Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

rc quad....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nabisco

Nabisco

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

hey guys im looking on ebay and c the drones r going for like 200 ish and i want one lol.... what r the ups and downs to them.... what should i look for.... how long would the battery last can i upgrade it? any info on them would b great... i take it u can fly it off your phone and it has a camera so u can see what it is seeing.... wicked lol
DIRECTV Technician
-------------------------------------------
My opinions are mine and do not reflect those of either my HSP or DIRECTV.BUT SHOULD BE!!!
Worker rights!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,527 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

Got one last Christmas and I'll have to say it's the most fun toy I've probably every had. The current one has HD camera, but mine is just VGA quality. Battery life (flying time) is 12 minutes or so. Get at least two.

If you're into electronics and construction, there's a ton of tri and quad copters either in semi-kit or roll your own with fairly standard components.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   Nabisco

Nabisco

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

how hard is it to change the battery... like can it b done quick? also couldnt u get a bigger or better battery for longer flight time? u mean make my own quad? i looked and didnt c any quads?? any brands or where can i find them i looked at the sites u provided

Edited by Nabisco, 27 November 2012 - 08:48 PM.

DIRECTV Technician
My opinions are mine and do not reflect those of either my HSP or DIRECTV.BUT SHOULD BE!!!
Worker rights!

#4 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,527 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

The AR Drone has a plastic covered foam body that is magnetically coupled to the chassis. (it comes with a large housing that covers the props for indoor / training flights or a sleek small body just covering the chassis) The body lifts off and exposes the battery - one connection and a velcro strap. Very easy to change.

I'm sure there are third-party batteries with more capacity that will fit.

The hobby electronics company, Parallax, has a kit and google or utube 'build a quadcopter' will return enough links for you to grow old. Good luck!

#5 OFFLINE   Nabisco

Nabisco

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

do u think that u could get a regular controller to work on it instead of a phone or tablet?

thanks!!!
DIRECTV Technician
Worker rights!

#6 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,527 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

That would require replacing the wi-fi receiver / subsystem with a standard RC receiver / transmitter. Beyond my time and patience.

The AR Drone becomes a wifi 'hotspot' for control from iphone/ ipad / android. Other projects for the DIY use standard RC gear.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...