Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Question Regarding 3D Playback

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

I have an HR34 DTV receiver, connected to a Denon 1612 AVR then to my Samsung 3D TV all via HDMI cable.

I recenlty recorded the latest Spider Man movie in 3D and went to watch it two nights ago. When I started the movie, it came on the screen with a split screen the video being cut directly down the middle on the screen. I exited the movie and tried again from the beginning, same result. I started the movie again, same result, but this time I disconnected the HDMI from the back of my Denon coming from the HR34 and reconnected it. When the movie came back on it was in a normal full screen picture. After watching the movie in full 3D, I tried watching a program on ESPN 3D, it was visible in normal full screen 3D.

Can anyone provide any clues or suggestions as to why this is happening and what remedies I might take to fix the problem?

Many thanks,
Jim

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

suspect HDMI mode switching issue between HR34 and your AVR... Does it happen also when you plug HDMI directly to your TV?
HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#3 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

Yep, sounds like an HDMI handshake issue where it wasn't properly setting up the 3D side by side format.

If it happens again you might want to try just switching the TV input and/or TV input to a different input and then back again to see if going through the HDMI handshake again fixes the issue.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#4 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

Make sure that it's not simply a matter of selecting 3D mode on your TV.
I've not used my Samsung's 3D capability all that much, but I do remember it coming up with side-by-side pictures and requiring the operator to select 3D mode from the remote.
My TV will "remember" to go into 3D mode automatically but can also forget and need operator selection again. Haven't been motivated enough to figure out if there's anything that can be done to make 3D mode switching automatic every time, it's easy enough to just push the button(s).

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#5 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for the helpful replies. I have all of my equipment on a Harmony One Remote so perhaps the TV did not switch into 3D mode, although it usually switches whenever watching some of the 3D channels programming.

I'll have to keep monitoring to see if it does it again, and perhaps try changing inputs. I've done the reverse hand shake thing before by shutting down everything, then disconnecting all of my HDMI cables and letting them sit for an hour or so, then connecting one at a time. I also have programmed in to my Harmony Remote some startup delays to facilitate better handshaking.

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,606 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

In case the problem persists, I have my HDMI go from my Genie to the TV, a Sammy, with optical audio back out to my Denon AVR 1613. TV is pushing three years old; not 3D.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

Thanks,

How do you have that configured within your Samsung sound set up? How do you have your Denon AVR set up within its settings?

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,606 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Thanks,

How do you have that configured within your Samsung sound set up? How do you have your Denon AVR set up within its settings?

I've really not had much time to play with it! I was also going to ask the same question, but I simply make sure sound is coming out of the center speaker (as well as L and R) when there's dialog, and that it's coming out of L and R when I play music. Sophisticated, huh??:D I've played with a few settings, but am not going into set up mode until my new house.

I also have it configured so that when I am using the AVR for sound, hitting Off on the DIRECTV® remote kills it, the TV and the AVR. I believe that was under HDMI controls.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Ok, many thanks for the helpful information.

spam firewall