Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DP501 dead

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   patall54

patall54

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

My DP501 receiver no longer powers on. It was behaving funny after Sandy blew through here. I guess the power fluctuations got to it. I first started having problems with the DVR function not working. Now it wont power on and it is cold to the touch. I have a 921 and another 501 on the shelf, all owned. Can I swap the bad 501 with one of these? How should I proceed. Thanks.

Pat

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 911 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

You can replace the 501 with the other 501. Depending upon how long it has been deactivated, it will need an update. You may also need a new smart card.

Once connected, you can run a check switch test for the available satellites. The updates would occur after the check switch test. You will also need to have this receiver activated and the defective receiver deactivate. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.

My DP501 receiver no longer powers on. It was behaving funny after Sandy blew through here. I guess the power fluctuations got to it. I first started having problems with the DVR function not working. Now it wont power on and it is cold to the touch. I have a 921 and another 501 on the shelf, all owned. Can I swap the bad 501 with one of these? How should I proceed. Thanks.

Pat

#3 OFFLINE   patall54

patall54

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. Its been on the shelf for several years. Has an old card. I will call in later on this week (away from home now) to see if I can switch the receivers on my account.

Thanks,

Pat

#4 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 911 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

You're welcome. We'll need to send you a new smart card before you'll be able to view TV. Please give us a call when you are able. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Its been on the shelf for several years. Has an old card. I will call in later on this week (away from home now) to see if I can switch the receivers on my account.

Thanks,

Pat

#5 OFFLINE   patall54

patall54

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Here's the followup. I called last week to swap the dead receiver with another 501 I had but it had no card. The rep told me I could still activate the 501 but it would cost me $50 dollars for new card. So I said ok. New card arrived today, put it in the receiver and after re-booting, have a screen message that the receiver has not yet been authorized. Another call to dish and after spending 15 minutes on the phone, resetting receiver, still have same message. The rep says I will have to have a tech come out to take care of the problem and it will cost me $90 dollars to have the tech come out. This is not acceptable to me since its already cost me $50. Another $90 would total $140. I say I can go onto ebay and buy another receiver for much less. Rep say nothing he can do. So I tell him I would rather just remove the 2nd receiver from the account. He removes it from the account. So after $50 dollars I'm left with no 501 and no satisfaction. And worse, no TV in the Den. Now I'm contemplating adding another cable box from cable company which is way cheaper but not nearly what I wanted.

Edited by patall54, 05 December 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 911 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Please PM me your account number so I can review the options available to you. Please let me know. Thanks.

Here's the followup. I called last week to swap the dead receiver with another 501 I had but it had no card. The rep told me I could still activate the 501 but it would cost me $50 dollars for new card. So I said ok. New card arrived today, put it in the receiver and after re-booting, have a screen message that the receiver has not yet been authorized. Another call to dish and after spending 15 minutes on the phone, resetting receiver, still have same message. The rep says I will have to have a tech come out to take care of the problem and it will cost me $90 dollars to have the tech come out. This is not acceptable to me since its already cost me $50. Another $90 would total $140. I say I can go onto ebay and buy another receiver for much less. Rep say nothing he can do. So I tell him I would rather just remove the 2nd receiver from the account. He removes it from the account. So after $50 dollars I'm left with no 501 and no satisfaction. And worse, no TV in the Den. Now I'm contemplating adding another cable box from cable company which is way cheaper but not nearly what I wanted.

#7 OFFLINE   patall54

patall54

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Needed one more post in order to PM, which I'll do as soon as I get home.
Thanks!

#8 OFFLINE   patall54

patall54

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Needed one more post to be able to PM

#9 OFFLINE   patall54

patall54

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

This post is to close out this thread. Ray C has been a great help in solving the problems that I was having to my satisfaction. A well deserved thanks go out to Ray and his team. They are a great asset to this community.

Pat

spam firewall