Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Details About Fox Sports 1

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

http://www.sportsbus...FoxSports1.aspx

They feel they have the "pedigree" to challenge ESPN. They tried once and failed. It appears they have learned a thing or two from that failed experiment, and will re-brand Speed and launch by 8/1/13.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

They feel they have the "pedigree" to challenge ESPN. They tried once and failed. It appears they have learned a thing or two from that failed experiment, and will re-brand Speed and launch by 8/1/13.

Yea and just wait until they want to adjust rates from the meager amount Speed gets to what ESPN is asking....we'll have disputes all over again.

#3 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

Yea and just wait until they want to adjust rates from the meager amount Speed gets to what ESPN is asking....we'll have disputes all over again.

Again, your inability to contemplate the existence of a contract comes into play. :nono:

#4 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

commercials with event video in a box? what about your TV system putting in ad's on there own?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#5 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

I have to imagine this possibility was discussed with Directv when they renewed their Fox Cable Networks contract recently (can't remember if it was early this year or last year). This isn't like when Disney completely replaced SoapNet with Disney Jr and their contract had an out clause due to nature of the content being radically changed... It'll still be a sports channel, it'll still show heavy amount of automotive related content (albeit nascar and not Formula 1 :( )... I think this would fall under the terms of the deal directv has in place with fox already...

Disclaimer... I'm completely pulling that out of the air... i could very well be wrong.

#6 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,451 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

commercials with event video in a box? what about your TV system putting in ad's on there own?

Wow, I'm surprised you're not asking about whether they're going to need alternate channels.

I think we can predict that the local ads will air full-screen, same as on the ESPN/ABC coverage of the Indianapolis 500. (Perhaps other races, too, but the Indy 500 is the only one I watch.)

And presumably, this isn't even relevant to everything that will air on Fox Sports 1, only for events such as soccer and auto racing -- no reason for them to go split-screen for commercial breaks in sports such as football and baseball, when the breaks coincide with breaks in the action.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#7 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 509 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Should have named in NASCAR. That's all that will be on it anyway.

#8 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

When did they try before?

#9 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Wow, I'm surprised you're not asking about whether they're going to need alternate channels.

I think we can predict that the local ads will air full-screen, same as on the ESPN/ABC coverage of the Indianapolis 500. (Perhaps other races, too, but the Indy 500 is the only one I watch.)

And presumably, this isn't even relevant to everything that will air on Fox Sports 1, only for events such as soccer and auto racing -- no reason for them to go split-screen for commercial breaks in sports such as football and baseball, when the breaks coincide with breaks in the action.

I REALLY hope they don't try to put ads into soccer games. This is something that has been tried before (NASL) and failed. Most soccer rights have been lost to NBC or BeIN, so it would be a mostly non issue, but it sets a poor precedent.

#10 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

When did they try before?

1997 ish - 2002

http://en.wikipedia....l_Sports_Report

#11 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

1997 ish - 2002

http://en.wikipedia....l_Sports_Report

That wasn't quite the same as a national channel. That was just a national program on regional nets, which are traditionally more locally focused.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#12 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

#13 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Hearing FUEL will replace SPEED when the conversion takes place

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Hearing FUEL will replace SPEED when the conversion takes place

It will be interesting to see how the NASCAR contract works out for next year and beyond. FOX has been a big part of NASCAR both on FOX Television and on SPEED. Disney has been a big part both on ABC Television and on ESPN. There is a lot of junk on SPEED that hopefully will be replaced by quality sports - without pushing any of the non-junk off to other FOX networks.

#15 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

That wasn't quite the same as a national channel. That was just a national program on regional nets, which are traditionally more locally focused.

Right, but that is what they were referring to in the quote I replied to.

#16 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

Right, but that is what they were referring to in the quote I replied to.

I don't read it that way. Looks like they are talking overall channel not one show.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#17 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

I don't read it that way. Looks like they are talking overall channel not one show.

At what other time in the past, besides the National/Regional Sports report era, has Fox cable attempted to compete with ESPN?

The context of that quote refers back to the Olbermann era.

#18 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Again, your inability to contemplate the existence of a contract comes into play. :nono:

Be that as it may, he is right. They will have to sit out the CURRENT contract, but if they change Speed in to a Sports Network that pays dear for all sorts of sports rights over the next 2 years.... come contract time, a channel like that might see as much as a 500% increase in rate demands.

It is what happened with Versus. As the "Outdoor Life Network" they showed CHEAP sports. (That is, cheap for the American market) In 2006 they started broadcasting NHL games and paid a pretty penny for the rights, which were reflected in the dispute that started when the contract ended in 2009, and caused Versus to be off DirecTV for about 6 months.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#19 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Should have named in NASCAR. That's all that will be on it anyway.

Actually, I think most motorsport events will move to FuelTV if I understand correctly.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#20 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

At what other time in the past, besides the National/Regional Sports report era, has Fox cable attempted to compete with ESPN?

The context of that quote refers back to the Olbermann era.

I don't see that. They are claiming they have a national presence and the capability with all their reporters and local as well as national resources to produce a 24/7 channel.

They aren't saying they tried once. They are saying they have the ability.

spam firewall