Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Details About Fox Sports 1

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 134 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

I don't see that. They are claiming they have a national presence and the capability with all their reporters and local as well as national resources to produce a 24/7 channel.

They aren't saying they tried once. They are saying they have the ability.

I am referring to the statement made by the original poster re: "they tried once and failed." That attempt was the National Sports Report. It was designed to compete against ESPN. It failed.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

I am referring to the statement made by the original poster re: "they tried once and failed." That attempt was the National Sports Report. It was designed to compete against ESPN. It failed.

The only thing they could compete against is ESPN SportsCenter, they were both news/commentary shows.

One could argue that the program had national exposure because FSN had regional sports networks in 75% of the sports markets at the time, with regional FSN's in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and quite a few other big markets, and a program like National Sports Report wouldn't be blacked out if a channel was received out of market as well. But that is a bit of a stretch.

This looks a more serious attempt to launch - or rebrand, really - a channel that is dedicated to sports 24/7.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#23 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 134 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

The only thing they could compete against is ESPN SportsCenter, they were both news/commentary shows.

One could argue that the program had national exposure because FSN had regional sports networks in 75% of the sports markets at the time, with regional FSN's in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and quite a few other big markets, and a program like National Sports Report wouldn't be blacked out if a channel was received out of market as well. But that is a bit of a stretch.

This looks a more serious attempt to launch - or rebrand, really - a channel that is dedicated to sports 24/7.

Yes, Fox Sports 1 is in a different league than the attempt made in the National Sports Report era. I am not arguing that at all. All I am saying is the National Sports Report era was the "failed attempt to compete with ESPN" that the OP referred to.

#24 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,070 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Okay. I was reading the whole article.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#25 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 639 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

Okay. I was reading the whole article.

This is the OP
They also tried a show with Jay Glazer and they had a late night show with Chris Rose and other hosts and guests that ran on the FSNs across the country.

#26 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

Assuming a Fox Sports 1 is NOT going to be in the Sports Pack, There won`t be much need for that package anymore.

Wonder what FoxSports 1 will pick up (Rugby?) to fill hours.

NBC Sports Channel has Premier league Soccer, F1, starting next year to go along with the other stuff they already carry.

#27 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Assuming a Fox Sports 1 is NOT going to be in the Sports Pack, There won`t be much need for that package anymore.

Wonder what FoxSports 1 will pick up (Rugby?) to fill hours.

NBC Sports Channel has Premier league Soccer, F1, starting next year to go along with the other stuff they already carry.

Fox does have the rights to broadcast the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup, as well as the 2015 & 2019 Women's world cup. Both of these events were previously broadcasted on ESPN, and ABC for the big games. Since they HAVE those rights, they will need a national channel to broadcast the matches. Or really TWO channels, with the World Cup it was often needed to show two matches at the same time on ESPN 1 and ESPN 2.

They also bought the rights to PAC12 and BIG12 Football games.

See here for an overview:

http://en.wikipedia....ghout_the_years

Although some of that (such as Superbowl, World Series) is meant for their national broadcast channels, I could see they would push off some MLB games to Fox Sports 1, just like ESPN broadcasts them now.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#28 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

Fox does have the rights to broadcast the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup, as well as the 2015 & 2019 Women's world cup. Both of these events were previously broadcasted on ESPN, and ABC for the big games. Since they HAVE those rights, they will need a national channel to broadcast the matches. Or really TWO channels, with the World Cup it was often needed to show two matches at the same time on ESPN 1 and ESPN 2.

They also bought the rights to PAC12 and BIG12 Football games.

See here for an overview:

http://en.wikipedia....ghout_the_years

Although some of that (such as Superbowl, World Series) is meant for their national broadcast channels, I could see they would push off some MLB games to Fox Sports 1, just like ESPN broadcasts them now.

fox does have XF and they have been useing it for sports.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,644 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

fox does have XF and they have been useing it for sports.

FX operated as an alternate channel for some Fox sports baseball games in the past. The game that was not on Fox was on FX and vice versa. I don't believe they have done that recently.

#30 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 134 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

FX operated as an alternate channel for some Fox sports baseball games in the past. The game that was not on Fox was on FX and vice versa. I don't believe they have done that recently.

FX has been showing weekly college football (Saturday afternoons) and is also used for semi-final round UEFA Champions League matches.

Eventually, if Fox Sports 1 is a hit, you would think Fuel and/or Fox Soccer will be re-branded as Fox Sports 2, 3, etc.

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,644 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

I am surprised that Fox has waited so long to start a single national sports channel ... they have done well with the regional channels. But with ESPN moving into regional channels (branded for their local areas or teams) and NBC and CBS having network branded national sports channels the market seems to be ready.

#32 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

FX has been showing weekly college football (Saturday afternoons) and is also used for semi-final round UEFA Champions League matches.

Eventually, if Fox Sports 1 is a hit, you would think Fuel and/or Fox Soccer will be re-branded as Fox Sports 2, 3, etc.

That is correct. FX has had a CFB game every week of the season. Usually a PAC-12 game.

#33 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Hopefully all of the NASCAR content I currently enjoy on Speed is covered by Fox One.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#34 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

The only thing I ask is that they do not show the always-on scoreline during live events. Chances this annoyance is not on Fox Sports 1: 1 in 500.

#35 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

I welcome more sports channels trying to compete with ESPN. It means these channels will have to resort to airing more world sports(ie. Cricket and Rugby) to fill up programming time. Also an alternative to Sportscenter is always a plus.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#36 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

Should have named in NASCAR. That's all that will be on it anyway.

They will have a lot of MLB in 2014. The big new contract they signed allowed for plenty of games on a new sports channel run by them. I am guessing they will have a game at least every other day, if not every night.

They will likely have lots of college stuff too.

Personally, I'd prefer to see this and not a bunch of new rsns for every market, as well as every college conference thinking of starting their own channels. Just pick cbs, fox, nbc, opr abc, and have them broadcast lots of your stuff. Then they wouldn't have to replay so much of their programming all day long!

#37 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,070 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

They will have a lot of MLB in 2014. The big new contract they signed allowed for plenty of games on a new sports channel run by them. I am guessing they will have a game at least every other day, if not every night.

They will likely have lots of college stuff too.

Personally, I'd prefer to see this and not a bunch of new rsns for every market, as well as every college conference thinking of starting their own channels. Just pick cbs, fox, nbc, opr abc, and have them broadcast lots of your stuff. Then they wouldn't have to replay so much of their programming all day long!

Those national channels will never give adequate coverage to non-football, non-basketball college sports.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#38 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

I am surprised that Fox has waited so long to start a single national sports channel ... they have done well with the regional channels. But with ESPN moving into regional channels (branded for their local areas or teams) and NBC and CBS having network branded national sports channels the market seems to be ready.

they had FSN for years that was formed out the old mixed RSN / national sports channels / old UHF pay channels. But not that long ago CSN channels dropped the FSN stuff.

Even stuff like The Dan Patrick Show that was on most of the FSN and CSN channels. It dropped off the CSN channels but was still on FSN channels and now The Dan Patrick Show is just on NBC Sports Network, Root Sports, and Audience Network.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#39 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,633 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

Meh.

NBC has the NHL, ESPN/TNT have the NBA, ESPN/CBS have Major League Lacrosse. I doubt I'll even notice this channel exists when it does.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#40 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

Meh.

NBC has the NHL, ESPN/TNT have the NBA, ESPN/CBS have Major League Lacrosse. I doubt I'll even notice this channel exists when it does.

They'll have NASCAR, MLB, UFC, several NCAA conferences and the World Cup. Plus, with a national network they can include it in bids for new rights since they won't be limited to clearance on FSN and affiliated stations for national programming and events:
-- Affiliates owned by 3rd parties like MSG+ and Root wanting to do their own thing at times
-- Former affiliates like CSN dropping FSN's national programming, losing clearance in many major markets like Philly, Boston, Baltimore, DC, Chicago and San Francisco.
-- Local major league teams get priority so national sporting events like UEFA and College Football games are pre-empted on a regular basis. This was especially of note in NYC prior to the launch of YES and SNY when FSN's national programming like the Best Damn Sports Show and TNA iMPACT! only got cleared whenever the Islanders, Devils, Nets and Mets weren't playing.

spam firewall