Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Details About Fox Sports 1

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts
  • LocationStow, Ohio

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

Assuming a Fox Sports 1 is NOT going to be in the Sports Pack, There won`t be much need for that package anymore.

Wonder what FoxSports 1 will pick up (Rugby?) to fill hours.

NBC Sports Channel has Premier league Soccer, F1, starting next year to go along with the other stuff they already carry.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Assuming a Fox Sports 1 is NOT going to be in the Sports Pack, There won`t be much need for that package anymore.

Wonder what FoxSports 1 will pick up (Rugby?) to fill hours.

NBC Sports Channel has Premier league Soccer, F1, starting next year to go along with the other stuff they already carry.

Fox does have the rights to broadcast the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup, as well as the 2015 & 2019 Women's world cup. Both of these events were previously broadcasted on ESPN, and ABC for the big games. Since they HAVE those rights, they will need a national channel to broadcast the matches. Or really TWO channels, with the World Cup it was often needed to show two matches at the same time on ESPN 1 and ESPN 2.

They also bought the rights to PAC12 and BIG12 Football games.

See here for an overview:

http://en.wikipedia....ghout_the_years

Although some of that (such as Superbowl, World Series) is meant for their national broadcast channels, I could see they would push off some MLB games to Fox Sports 1, just like ESPN broadcasts them now.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#28 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

Fox does have the rights to broadcast the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup, as well as the 2015 & 2019 Women's world cup. Both of these events were previously broadcasted on ESPN, and ABC for the big games. Since they HAVE those rights, they will need a national channel to broadcast the matches. Or really TWO channels, with the World Cup it was often needed to show two matches at the same time on ESPN 1 and ESPN 2.

They also bought the rights to PAC12 and BIG12 Football games.

See here for an overview:

http://en.wikipedia....ghout_the_years

Although some of that (such as Superbowl, World Series) is meant for their national broadcast channels, I could see they would push off some MLB games to Fox Sports 1, just like ESPN broadcasts them now.

fox does have XF and they have been useing it for sports.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,225 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

fox does have XF and they have been useing it for sports.

FX operated as an alternate channel for some Fox sports baseball games in the past. The game that was not on Fox was on FX and vice versa. I don't believe they have done that recently.

#30 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

FX operated as an alternate channel for some Fox sports baseball games in the past. The game that was not on Fox was on FX and vice versa. I don't believe they have done that recently.

FX has been showing weekly college football (Saturday afternoons) and is also used for semi-final round UEFA Champions League matches.

Eventually, if Fox Sports 1 is a hit, you would think Fuel and/or Fox Soccer will be re-branded as Fox Sports 2, 3, etc.

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,225 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

I am surprised that Fox has waited so long to start a single national sports channel ... they have done well with the regional channels. But with ESPN moving into regional channels (branded for their local areas or teams) and NBC and CBS having network branded national sports channels the market seems to be ready.

#32 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 525 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

FX has been showing weekly college football (Saturday afternoons) and is also used for semi-final round UEFA Champions League matches.

Eventually, if Fox Sports 1 is a hit, you would think Fuel and/or Fox Soccer will be re-branded as Fox Sports 2, 3, etc.

That is correct. FX has had a CFB game every week of the season. Usually a PAC-12 game.

#33 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Hopefully all of the NASCAR content I currently enjoy on Speed is covered by Fox One.

Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
C41-400
XBoxOne
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200

#34 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

The only thing I ask is that they do not show the always-on scoreline during live events. Chances this annoyance is not on Fox Sports 1: 1 in 500.

#35 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

I welcome more sports channels trying to compete with ESPN. It means these channels will have to resort to airing more world sports(ie. Cricket and Rugby) to fill up programming time. Also an alternative to Sportscenter is always a plus.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#36 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,377 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

Should have named in NASCAR. That's all that will be on it anyway.

They will have a lot of MLB in 2014. The big new contract they signed allowed for plenty of games on a new sports channel run by them. I am guessing they will have a game at least every other day, if not every night.

They will likely have lots of college stuff too.

Personally, I'd prefer to see this and not a bunch of new rsns for every market, as well as every college conference thinking of starting their own channels. Just pick cbs, fox, nbc, opr abc, and have them broadcast lots of your stuff. Then they wouldn't have to replay so much of their programming all day long!

#37 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,945 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

They will have a lot of MLB in 2014. The big new contract they signed allowed for plenty of games on a new sports channel run by them. I am guessing they will have a game at least every other day, if not every night.

They will likely have lots of college stuff too.

Personally, I'd prefer to see this and not a bunch of new rsns for every market, as well as every college conference thinking of starting their own channels. Just pick cbs, fox, nbc, opr abc, and have them broadcast lots of your stuff. Then they wouldn't have to replay so much of their programming all day long!

Those national channels will never give adequate coverage to non-football, non-basketball college sports.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#38 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

I am surprised that Fox has waited so long to start a single national sports channel ... they have done well with the regional channels. But with ESPN moving into regional channels (branded for their local areas or teams) and NBC and CBS having network branded national sports channels the market seems to be ready.

they had FSN for years that was formed out the old mixed RSN / national sports channels / old UHF pay channels. But not that long ago CSN channels dropped the FSN stuff.

Even stuff like The Dan Patrick Show that was on most of the FSN and CSN channels. It dropped off the CSN channels but was still on FSN channels and now The Dan Patrick Show is just on NBC Sports Network, Root Sports, and Audience Network.

#39 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

Meh.

NBC has the NHL, ESPN/TNT have the NBA, ESPN/CBS have Major League Lacrosse. I doubt I'll even notice this channel exists when it does.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#40 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,678 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

Meh.

NBC has the NHL, ESPN/TNT have the NBA, ESPN/CBS have Major League Lacrosse. I doubt I'll even notice this channel exists when it does.

They'll have NASCAR, MLB, UFC, several NCAA conferences and the World Cup. Plus, with a national network they can include it in bids for new rights since they won't be limited to clearance on FSN and affiliated stations for national programming and events:
-- Affiliates owned by 3rd parties like MSG+ and Root wanting to do their own thing at times
-- Former affiliates like CSN dropping FSN's national programming, losing clearance in many major markets like Philly, Boston, Baltimore, DC, Chicago and San Francisco.
-- Local major league teams get priority so national sporting events like UEFA and College Football games are pre-empted on a regular basis. This was especially of note in NYC prior to the launch of YES and SNY when FSN's national programming like the Best Damn Sports Show and TNA iMPACT! only got cleared whenever the Islanders, Devils, Nets and Mets weren't playing.

#41 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 525 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

Hopefully all of the NASCAR content I currently enjoy on Speed is covered by Fox One.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, FUEL is expected to carry most of the motorsports coverage.

#42 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, FUEL is expected to carry most of the motorsports coverage.

why not reband FUEL to fox sports 1?? and move to fuel stuff to speed?

is it that speed is on more systems then fuel and at lower levels?

but on comcarp in some areas speed is in starter others sports pack. Even with in the same metro area.

#43 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 790 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

but on comcarp in some areas speed is in starter others sports pack. Even with in the same metro area.

Speed probably has better penetration in homes. Fuel is more than likely on higher tier packages and isn't in as many homes as a result.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#44 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,678 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Speed traces back to Speedvision, so it has analog/expanded basic coverage in many areas, while many cable systems only offer Fuel in a digital package or a sports pack.

#45 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Fuel is only in around 35 million homes. Speed is in around 80 million. That's why.
Go Big Red!!!

#46 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,225 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Fox could do something stupid, like when Discovery Health changed to OWN and tried to cancel all of their existing carriage contracts and get new contracts to carry the new channel - but having 80 million subscribers is worth something.

Hopefully the stuff moved to Fuel will be replays and non-event auto related shows such as Car Warriors, Pinks, Pass Time, Truck U, Unique Whips and other "reality" shows that are not sports. Keep NASCAR races, practices and qualifying on "Fox Sports 1" as much as possible.

Trucks on dirt at Eldora. That belongs on the main channel (if not on Fox broadcast).

Edited by James Long, 29 November 2012 - 08:22 PM.

#47 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Fox could do something stupid, like when Discovery Health changed to OWN and tried to cancel all of their existing carriage contracts and get new contracts to carry the new channel - but having 80 million subscribers is worth something.

Hopefully the stuff moved to Fuel will be replays and non-event auto related shows such as Car Warriors, Pinks, Pass Time, Truck U, Unique Whips and other "reality" shows that are not sports. Keep NASCAR races, practices and qualifying on "Fox Sports 1" as much as possible.

Trucks on dirt at Eldora. That belongs on the main channel (if not on Fox broadcast).

http://en.wikipedia....ed_(TV_channel)

However, it was also noted that some of Speed's carriage agreements with cable companies require it to maintain a motorsports-oriented format—which could require it to re-negotiate carriage in some areas.

http://www.sportsbus...ox-channel.aspx

#48 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,163 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

I think they might actually be able to put something on that is equal to ESPN. NBC Sports Network and CBS Sports Network, so far, aren't doing it. I think NBC/CBS' main problem is simply the lack of rights. I am an IndyCar fan, but that isn't enough to draw the numbers to NBC and CBS basically only has lower tier NCAA conferences. Fox actually has the rights to stuff people want to watch.

Something I don't understand is how un-integrated all of these companies seem to be. You'd think that NBC News/msnbc/NBC Sports/NBC Sports Network/NBC Broadcast would be one solid integrated block, same with Fox's properties. I think the one to get all of their stuff running in sync will be the one to knock off ESPN. But, imagine if ABC bought CNN. There are all of these pieces of an actual media empire that have been collected but no one is operating them to their full potential.

#49 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

I think they might actually be able to put something on that is equal to ESPN. NBC Sports Network and CBS Sports Network, so far, aren't doing it. I think NBC/CBS' main problem is simply the lack of rights. I am an IndyCar fan, but that isn't enough to draw the numbers to NBC and CBS basically only has lower tier NCAA conferences. Fox actually has the rights to stuff people want to watch.

Something I don't understand is how un-integrated all of these companies seem to be. You'd think that NBC News/msnbc/NBC Sports/NBC Sports Network/NBC Broadcast would be one solid integrated block, same with Fox's properties. I think the one to get all of their stuff running in sync will be the one to knock off ESPN. But, imagine if ABC bought CNN. There are all of these pieces of an actual media empire that have been collected but no one is operating them to their full potential.

Nbc can't even get comcast together chiller / USN / others is not on comcast systems and they own NBC.

#50 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

Baseball has an agreement with Fox. They need a place to broadcast their games.

Many people are expecting a new FOX all-sports channel coming soon, and Randy Freer, FSNG co-president, said to stay tuned regarding how it will parse out its baseball programming.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ws_mlb&c_id=mlb

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

Protected By... spam firewall...And...