Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New to Dish ... Hopper or 722

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dolfin99

dolfin99

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

I ordered the 722 and it will be installed on Thursday. However, I am now questioning my decision on the 722.

I have one HDTV and one SDTV that will be hooked up. I would like to record multiple shows (Discovery and NICK) at the same time while watching another channel (ABC or ESPN) on one TV and CBS or NFL on the other TV.

I am being told that I cannot do this with the 722. Can I do this with the hopper? It will be an additional $11 for the hopper, but I am unsure which option to go with.

Any thoughts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

A single ViP722 isn't going to get you where you want to go.

If you have access to your networks via OTA:

A ViP722K with an dual tuner OTA cartridge will get you most of the way there (not ESPN and NFL while two other channels are recording -- unless the two recording channels are OTA).

A Hopper/Joey system with an OTA tuner dongle will work

Without OTA access:

A two DVR system with some fairly significant compromises (you would have to watch some programming on the other TV).

IIRC, the Hoppers can't currently share with each other so that's not going to help much with seeing all recordings on both TVs

To offer a more specific answer, you'll have to be entirely specific about your worst-case recording scenario with respect to what channels are involved and when.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   dolfin99

dolfin99

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

Please excuse my ignorance, but hat is OTA? Also, the receiver I ordered was a Duo DVR. I have cable internet if that matters at all.

I will try to be as specific as possible, but please bear with me as this is my first jump into DVR or Dish.

Currently, I have cable hooked up with a coaxial cable. The box is hooked up to a HDTV ready TV and I have one other TV that is an HD TV (please disregard my SD comment in my initial post) and is hooked up via coaxial cable.

The main TV is in the living room and will record mainly programs from Discovery, NICK, Disney and other primetime shows (there may be other recordings thrown in there).

My sons TV will only be used to watch family programming (NICK, Disney, etc....) and he will occasionally watch recorded family programs in his TV.

Here is a scenario:

My son watches either a recorded show or a live family station, while I watch a primetime show and record a primetime show and possibly something from the Discovery channel.

Can you also watch two recorded shows and record a show at the same time?

I sincerely hope this helps you and I am thoroughly confused here and don't want to get something that won't work for me.

#4 OFFLINE   dolfin99

dolfin99

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Also, I heard that I could get a wireless adapter for the hopper.

Besides being able to get blockbuster movies, what is the benefit of having wireless capability on the hopper?

Thank you much.

#5 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

IIRC, the Hoppers can't currently share with each other so that's not going to help much with seeing all recordings on both TVs

Two Hoppers CAN see each others' recordings.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#6 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

OTA is over the air, free tv via an external antenna.
Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

722 DUO receiver has 2 TUNERS and can watch or record 2 channels off a satellite signal.
Hopper has 3 TUNERS and can watch or record 3 channels.

If you want to record 2 channels and watch 2 more channels at the same time you will need 2 722s or 2 Hoppers.

#8 OFFLINE   barryaz1

barryaz1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

722 DUO receiver has 2 TUNERS and can watch or record 2 channels off a satellite signal.
Hopper has 3 TUNERS and can watch or record 3 channels.

If you want to record 2 channels and watch 2 more channels at the same time you will need 2 722s or 2 Hoppers.

Unless you get a 722k, and an OTA (over-the-air) tuner, which will record 2 shows at the same time from an antenna.

#9 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

722 (non-k) has a built in OTA Tuner that will allow recording two DISH channels and one OTA channel, while watching a recorded program or any variation there of. That's that maximum usage for that model.

722k requires a separately purchased OTA module that gives you two OTA tuners. That adds one more OTA channel to record or just watch. Two DISH, Two OTA.

With my 722, I basically have three tuners, one OTA only and two DISH tuners that can record your locals if you have them in your plan. So you can tie up two tuners, one DISH, one OTA and have a DISH tuner that will allow you to be able to watch any channel that you have available. Or tie up the two DISH tuners and watch one OTA channel. OR tie up all three and watch something you recorded or downloaded via VOD (you'll need your box to be connected to the Internet for most of the VOD programming).

I hope this helps.

. . . fb

#10 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Another peculiarity of the 722k with the OTA module is that the first OTA tuner is available to the TV1 output and the second OTA tuner is available to the TV2 output. On the 722 the OTA tuner is only available live to the TV1 output.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#11 OFFLINE   dolfin99

dolfin99

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

Thank you all for the great information.

#12 OFFLINE   dolfin99

dolfin99

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

BTW, I went ahead and changed the order to a hopper.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...