Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Free STARZ weekend issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

I enjoyed the free STARZ weekend preview and recorded a few movies. To my surprise, several of the movies were recorded in TWO segments and were put in a FOLDER! I also noticed that several movies I watched "live" suddenly pixelated and dropped off and then resumed. I assume this is what happened causing the DVR to close the first segment and then resume.

1. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Would any company in their right mind run a "preview" when the product wasn't working correctly?? It's like taking a test drive in a car that stalls at every stop light!!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,083 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

We recorded 10+ movies this past weekend and didn't have that problem at all.

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,351 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:17 AM

I enjoyed the free STARZ weekend preview and recorded a few movies. To my surprise, several of the movies were recorded in TWO segments and were put in a FOLDER! I also noticed that several movies I watched "live" suddenly pixelated and dropped off and then resumed. I assume this is what happened causing the DVR to close the first segment and then resume.

2. Would any company in their right mind run a "preview" when the product wasn't working correctly?? It's like taking a test drive in a car that stalls at every stop light!!!

Identifying the problem would be a better course of action rather than placing blame.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

Which movies(and what times, channels) did you experience this problem? Also include whether you were recording the HD or SD version of the channel. At this point, we can't tell if the problem occurred with Directv's transmission or with your system. You might also look at your signal strengths...

#5 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

I recorded 5 movies and did not have any problems.

#6 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

I don't have HD so all recordings were in SD.

One movie was "The Net" with Sandra Bullock. I recorded it on 2 different DVR's and the same thing happened. I don't experience this issue on any of the other programs I record/watch and I record a LOT of programming.

Like I said, I also noticed the picture pixelate several times while watching STARZ and ENCORE channels but this also rarely, if ever, happens on any of the other channels I watch.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#7 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

I recorded "The Green Hornet" on Starz HD 527 beginning at 11:15 PM CT on Nov 21. During playback there was a lot of pixelation in the middle of the recording.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#8 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

I recorded "The Green Hornet" on Starz HD 527 beginning at 11:15 PM CT on Nov 21. During playback there was a lot of pixelation in the middle of the recording.

What did the DVR do? Did it just leave the pixelation in the recording and keep going?

spam firewall