Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What can we expect from DirecTV at CES 2013 in January?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tony4d

tony4d

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

Genie is fairly new as well as RVU so not sure what other innovations they can show off at the show ...

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

D* doesn't typically show of anything (on their own) at CES anymore.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   tony4d

tony4d

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

I thought we saw hints of new receivers the last few years?

#4 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

Well, there is the rumor of an HR44 with wireless networking. This wouldn't be too difficult. Perhaps D* can finally make use of the USB port that's been on every HD-DVR for the last 7 years. How hard would it be for them to write a custom driver for a USB 802.11n adapter. The hardware itself is already available for less than $40 retail.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom
Whole Home DVR enabled :)

#5 OFFLINE   Justin85

Justin85

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

Well, there is the rumor of an HR44 with wireless networking. This wouldn't be too difficult. Perhaps D* can finally make use of the USB port that's been on every HD-DVR for the last 7 years. How hard would it be for them to write a custom driver for a USB 802.11n adapter. The hardware itself is already available for less than $40 retail.

:confused: They have made use of the USB port

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

I thought we saw hints of new receivers the last few years?

Yes, but they were seen at partner booths (i.e. entropic, samsung, etc.).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,110 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

Yup - correct.

I suspect there will be a number of DirecTv folks mingling at CES as in the past. There will be more than 15 DBSTalkers onsite as well...so it would be fair to say that a number of eyes will be open there to see what might be seen. ;)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#8 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Directv quit having a Presence at CES (other than having some Reps at Partner Booths such as Entropic, etc.) because it doesn't pertain to Consumers and that is what they are going after.

But we will see a few of them at their Partner's Booths and will get to ask a few questions then. It will also be interesting to ask the folks at Morega just what the Future is for Nomad.

Just 42 days before we depart for Las Vegas!!! :hurah:

Edited by Richierich, 27 November 2012 - 11:39 AM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

If I recall correctly, Entropic had the C30 which was very quickly trumped by the C31 after CES.

And Samsung had the RVU TV but it was next to FIOS and others so it didn't make a splash of anything new.

Like others said, CES has not been a launchpad for Directv for past few years. But if its different this year, I'll be with the other dbstalkers ready and waiting.

#10 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,110 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

If I recall correctly, Entropic had the C30 which was very quickly trumped by the C31 after CES.

And Samsung had the RVU TV but it was next to FIOS and others so it didn't make a splash of anything new.

Like others said, CES has not been a launchpad for Directv for past few years. But if its different this year, I'll be with the other dbstalkers ready and waiting.

Just bring yourself, something to take notes, and an empty stomach for Wednesday night. :D

They'll be a good DBSTalk group (as in the past) at CES in just 6 weeks from now...

#11 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

How about just debuting a firmware that doesnt make the HRx run like it is sitting in mud.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#12 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

How about just debuting a firmware that doesnt make the HRx run like it is sitting in mud.

+1

A pause for polishing is long overdue.

#13 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Not really from DirecTV but I would love to see some RVU client/server Blu-Ray players, and other RVU devices.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#14 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,110 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

+1

A pause for polishing is long overdue.

:backtotop

While CES is not open to the general public, DBSTalk posting members will attend at their own expense and on their own voluntary time.

As was the case the past few years, DirecTV is not scheduled to have a booth, however they usually have a number of folks at this event. It is likely that reports from CES (usually with photos) will appear at DBSTalk as they have for a number of years. Here are just a few samples of past reports from CES:

http://www.dbstalk.c...lectronics Show

Protected By... spam firewall...And...