Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR-24 skips/stutters/hiccups

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

One of my HR24's has been intermittently hanging up during playback. The video and audio freezes for about a second or two, then resumes. Sometimes, it skips a little bit of audio. Other times, the audio is complete, but with the one-second pause. This happens anywhere from 0-10 times per show. The HR24 is about 28 months old.

At first, I thought it might be a transmission issue. However, I tested this with a program that I recorded on two different DVR's. On my new HR34, playback was seamless. On the HR-24, it repeatedly skipped in the exact same spot every time.

My guess is that the hard drive is developing bad sectors. Would a reformat of the drive resolve this problem by locking out those bad sectors? I really don't want to do this because I would lose all my recordings. If I call D* to report the issue, I presume that the first thing they will ask me to do is to perform a format.

Even if a reformat works, isn't it just a temporary fix? It would work at first because the disk would be empty and the bad sectors would not immediately come into play (presuming they're near the middle of the sector map). Even if they were locked out, it's likely that more bad sectors would develop.

I'd prefer that D* replace the entire unit if I'm going to lose all my recordings. However, I'm also wary of getting an older non-HR24 replacement.

Anyone else have a similar situation? What's my best course of action?
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom
Whole Home DVR enabled :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

Word has it because of the built in DECA feature DirecTV replaces HR24s with HR24s.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

Word has it because of the built in DECA feature DirecTV replaces HR24s with HR24s.

I've heard that too, but I didn't know if it was true or not. I might have to give it a try.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom
Whole Home DVR enabled :)

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

From what I have read, you do have the right to refuse it if they send an older model and you will not be satisfied with it and do not activate it.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...