Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NewsMix Channel 352 - No More

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:14 AM

You are very low.

Then make your claim accurate. What do YOU consider to be the "large number" of stations looking to drop DirecTV because of the lack of a NewsMix channel?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

Put your head in the sand all you want but I know it for a fact, especially while going through the 2013 Final Budgets Proposals.

Fox sells game highlights to local stations - regardless of Network Affiliation. That's where virtually ALL stations get their highlights - not from DirecTV.

The final budget proposals? Right....

Haha! This is hilarious.
DTV = Digital Television

#183 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

Why would any but a low budget station use a lo-def feed for individual stations such as you got on the News Mix channel? Much better to have individual monitors with actual viewable material.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#184 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

Why would any but a low budget station use a lo-def feed for individual stations such as you got on the News Mix channel? Much better to have individual monitors with actual viewable material.

Try looking at the amount of space needed on a Newsroom Wall.

Clearly most here have never been in an actual Newsroom as well what is wanted in a number of offices where it is impratical to install 20 monitors.

And given that most stations rebuilt their current internal feeds in the 2006-2008 area based on QAM systems, it actually makes more sense now convert to cable delivered system instead of DirecTV feeds which were used to feed some of the internal channels.

#185 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Try looking at the amount of space needed on a Newsroom Wall.

Clearly most here have never been in an actual Newsroom as well what is wanted in a number of offices where it is impratical to install 20 monitors.

I'd like to hear more about this budget proposal you claim to have read. I could use a laugh.
DTV = Digital Television

#186 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

I'd like to hear more about this budget proposal you claim to have read. I could use a laugh.

Just take your posts to a local TV facility and ask them to read through them. They could use a good laugh at your knowledge as well.

#187 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

I have been in an actual newsroom. Perhaps you are confused by what you see on TV? Several of my area stations like the "newsroom" shot on television with monitors around the top of the room. One of the local stations even had a panel of "monitors" behind the anchors at the news desk ... most of them were fake (backlit still images or logos). But they looked good on TV (until the news went HD).

But walk into that newsroom while people were preparing for the news (as I have done) and you would find people working at computer screens. The TVs on the wall were for the camera (the classic newsroom shot) and were not used by the staff.

Production control is where you are more likely to see a wall of monitors. Master control may be smaller than that. It depends on the station.
(One station I was in had only two "large" monitors in "master control" ... a few smaller ones of limited use. They had several medium sized monitors that were tuned to return feeds ... OTA reception, via Cable, via DISH, via DirecTV ... so they could see how their signal was being seen by others. If a viewer called to say they had trouble with the picture, Master Control could see if it was a global problem or a problem with one of the carriers.)

Now, tell us more about how many stations are cancelling DirecTV over NewsMix?

#188 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

I have been in an actual newsroom. Perhaps you are confused by what you see on TV? Several of my area stations like the "newsroom" shot on television with monitors around the top of the room. One of the local stations even had a panel of "monitors" behind the anchors at the news desk ... most of them were fake (backlit still images or logos). But they looked good on TV (until the news went HD).

But walk into that newsroom while people were preparing for the news (as I have done) and you would find people working at computer screens. The TVs on the wall were for the camera (the classic newsroom shot) and were not used by the staff.

Production control is where you are more likely to see a wall of monitors. Master control may be smaller than that. It depends on the station.
(One station I was in had only two "large" monitors in "master control" ... a few smaller ones of limited use. They had several medium sized monitors that were tuned to return feeds ... OTA reception, via Cable, via DISH, via DirecTV ... so they could see how their signal was being seen by others. If a viewer called to say they had trouble with the picture, Master Control could see if it was a global problem or a problem with one of the carriers.)

Now, tell us more about how many stations are cancelling DirecTV over NewsMix?

Clearly, you have not been in real newsrooms and are repeating what YOU see on TV. Master Control IS NOT a Newsroom.

Furthermore, you would know that most of the stations are now on an Ignite System or similar automation where there is very little human interaction in the actual production during a Newscast. Infact, robotic cameras are more the norm now that a camera with a human behind it.

#189 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Just take your posts to a local TV facility and ask them to read through them. They could use a good laugh at your knowledge as well.

You have yet to offer anything to substantiate your claims of stations canceling.
DTV = Digital Television

#190 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

and then flipping back to another network like ABC or CNN, who never showed the picture and didn't have to say anything about that picture being of the wrong guy, just had to make a correction about the name.

According to the Washington Post, CNN reported the wrong person for at least 1 hour. I believe ABC did as well.

http://www.washingto...m-lanza-mis-id/

And from CNN's own website, 3 WRONG pieces of information in 3 sentences.

[Updated at 3:09 p.m. ET] The suspect's mother was shot and killed at the school, according to source close to the investigation. She was a teacher there.

And we now know that Ryan Lanza, the suspected gunman, was 24.

http://news.blogs.cn...mentary-school/

And even ABC:

"In the early confusion surrounding the investigation, federal sources initially identified the suspect as Adam's older brother Ryan Lanza, 24. Identification belonging to Ryan Lanza was found at the shooting scene, federal sources told ABC News."

Pay special attention to the url:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gunman-identified-ryan-lanza-connecticut-school-massacre/story?id=17973836

If we waited until Law Enforcement Officials to officially release the name, we would have waited until 5pm today (Sunday) almost 60 hours after the event in which they knew the gunman was dead prior to 10AM Friday.

Imagine that. Personally, I have a problem with that. If Law Enforcement had been forthcoming with info, there would have been no reason for the bad info (Law Enforcement Communications stated the shooter was dead and the situation was under control - though more emergency vehicles for victims was needed at 9:50AM).

Just imagine if the 4th Estate did not report on Watergate, Iraq or Bengazi - but come to think of it, most have not followed up on Bengazi the way they should have.

Of course, they did not follow up to Watergate before the 1972 election either.

Personally, waiting for the "official" word is not what the founders of this Country imagined when they put Freedom of the Press as the #1 priority.

EDIT:

Checking sources, CNN IDed the shooter as Ryan Lanza at 2:15 PM, FNC followed suit at 2:21 and MSNBC at 2:25. So not only were you wrong about CNN NOT making a mistake, they were the FIRST of the Cable News Channels to report it incorrectly.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 16 December 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#191 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

You have yet to offer anything to substantiate your claims of stations canceling.

Actually I have.

You and others just have not accepted it.

Just as I have not accepted that you have a clue what you are talking about either.

Again, it was the straw that broke the camel's back and Engineering has already worked out an internal solutions to putting 4 channels on a 16:9 HD screen on a QAM channel (just as we had done in during NTSC days) instead of relying on NewsMix. Combine that with moving from DirecTV to Cable which is native QAM will actually end making the entire internal systems less complicated as well as cheaper - and eliminate any rain fade issues, especially as we have fiber feeds between the studio and local cable headends.

#192 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

Clearly, you have not been in real newsrooms and are repeating what YOU see on TV. Master Control IS NOT a Newsroom.

Oh, I have been in the newsroom - several of them ... I was just trying to be helpful. People are more accustomed to what they see on TV ... generally in fiction. I was describing the reality of what I saw. A mini station tour, so to speak, underlining the point that the stations I have been in would not worry about NewsMix.

So please, describe the newsroom(s) you have seen. And, more importantly, answer the question that you have repeatedly ducked: How many is many when you said many stations were considering leaving DirecTV over NewsMix?

#193 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Actually I have.

You and others just have not accepted it.

Just as I have not accepted that you have a clue what you are talking about either.

Again, it was the straw that broke the camel's back and Engineering has already worked out an internal solutions to putting 4 channels on a 16:9 HD screen on a QAM channel (just as we had done in during NTSC days) instead of relying on NewsMix. Combine that with moving from DirecTV to Cable which is native QAM will actually end making the entire internal systems less complicated as well as cheaper - and eliminate any rain fade issues, especially as we have fiber feeds between the studio and local cable headends.

lot of cable systems are getting rid of clear QAM and on most cable systems you can't get cable cards on a commercial plan. So you are stuck with a box just like directv.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#194 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

Actually I have.

No, you have not. No evidence whatsoever of this happening. None.
DTV = Digital Television

#195 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

lot of cable systems are getting rid of clear QAM and on most cable systems you can't get cable cards on a commercial plan. So you are stuck with a box just like directv.

You need to reread what I said. If you have fiber between the headend and the station, you are not on their public system (nor do you need every channel either). I am unaware of any household customer that has a fiber connection to TWC or Comcast's head end.

#196 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Getting back to NewsMix:
What do YOU consider to be the "large number" of stations looking to drop DirecTV because of the lack of a NewsMix channel?

Do you not understand the question? It can be provided in other languages:

¿Qué considera usted que es el "gran número" de las estaciones que desean dejar DirecTV debido a la falta de un canal NewsMix?

Qu'est-ce que vous considérez comme le «grand nombre» de stations qui cherchent à déposer DirecTV raison de l'absence d'un canal Newsmix?

Ki sa ou konsidere yo dwe "gwo nimewo nan" nan estasyon kap lage DirecTV paske nan mank nan yon kanal NewsMix?

#197 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

I am not going to get into a discussion that cannot be won online with a moderator who has the ability to ban. If you think I am going to put documents online, you are sadly mistaken.

Anyone who cares to read in between the lines of what I have posted can decide if I know enough about what I am talking about or not - and then make their own decision.

A quote from Robert Heinlein is appropiate here: Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

#198 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

I am not asking for documents. I am asking for a number. I suggested 5-10, you said I was very low. So give a number.

I believe you cannot give a number because the larger the number is the more ludicrous it will sound to your audience. I believe most people have already made their opinion about the validity of your claim. The claim: "I know for a fact that a large number of Broadcast Stations are in the process of terminating their commercial contracts with DirecTV as they used NewsMix on sets around the newsrooms."

Quite frankly ... I know SatelliteRacer, I have spoken with him before and he is a known reputable source when it comes to DirecTV channels and carriage issues. I don't know you. Your chosen screen name is all I know. So who should we believe?

All I asked for was a number - I will accept a range. If you cannot provide one that is fine. But don't expect people to take your claim seriously when you refuse to back it up.

#199 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

I am not going to get into a discussion that cannot be won online with a moderator who has the ability to ban. If you think I am going to put documents online, you are sadly mistaken.

Your 'winning' an argument has nothing to do with James being a Mod. He plays fair and square, and it's low of you to suggest he'd resort to dirty pool.

You'll not win because you're wrong. Sure, your station may be doing that, but you've provided nothing to back up anything else.

I'm also pretty sure no one has asked you to "put documents online", certainly nothing of a proprietary nature.

How 'bout standing up and delivering, or shutting up? Or just admit you're wrong and keep on with whatever.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#200 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Anyone who cares to read in between the lines of what I have posted can decide if I know enough about what I am talking about or not - and then make their own decision.

A quote from Robert Heinlein is appropiate here: Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

You are dancing around this.

I know for a fact that a large number of Broadcast Stations are in the process of terminating their commercial contracts with DirecTV as they used NewsMix on sets around the newsrooms.

Prove it. Provide us with a single shred of evidence. Give us a reason to believe anything you have said.
DTV = Digital Television

Protected By... spam firewall...And...